Christians wanting to hijack Easter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-01-2016, 01:17 PM
RE: Christians wanting to hijack Easter
I recall a Scientific American article about the difficulty of calculating Easter dates correctly using computers. Title was something like "Easter is an aperiodic crystal"... If they fix it to the same day every month, it'll piss me off. A little bit of maths will be dropped from the calendar...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-01-2016, 02:25 PM
(17-01-2016 01:07 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(17-01-2016 01:05 PM)Stevil Wrote:  You guys don't do chocolate?

Chocolate is the reason for the season. Without chocolate (oh, and a couple of days off work) you may as well not have Easter.

I get a couple days off at Easter - Saturday and Sunday - just like every other week. Undecided

Chocolate is every day. It's just wrapped in pastel colors around Easter. Wink
Yeah but. At Easter you don't have to justify to the wife why you bought so much chocolate, plus the chocolate comes in the shape of eggs and bunnys and has more chocolate hidden inside.

Oh, and it's fun tricking the children into thinking the Easter bunny came and dropped off some chocolate in the middle of the night.

I like's me Easter holidays 'cause it's like giving Summer one last hoorah, just before we lock down for dreary winter.
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
17-01-2016, 02:35 PM
(16-01-2016 07:02 PM)Black Eagle Wrote:  I don't give a rat's ass if the Christians want to hijack Easter. They can have it as long as they don't fuck with Spring Turkey hunting season which starts about the same time. I understand there are a bunch of christians who do not call it "Easter." They call it "Resurrection Day." A conservative Christian on a firearms board told me that's what his church calls it. That's definitely not catchy and is not going to win them many converts.

I think it should be called "Dead Man Walking" day. I also think it should be international "Zombie Walk Day" for non believers. We could all dress up like zombies, walk around and hand out fun candy to passerbyes. Cool

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
17-01-2016, 02:44 PM
(16-01-2016 07:02 PM)Black Eagle Wrote:  I understand there are a bunch of christians who do not call it "Easter." They call it "Resurrection Day."
Do you guys think of Easter as being just one day? Like an Easter day rather than four days?

You don't have an Easter Monday and a Good Friday?
Which day would be considered Easter day?
17-01-2016, 02:56 PM (This post was last modified: 17-01-2016 04:13 PM by jabeady.)
(16-01-2016 05:39 PM)Chas Wrote:  In the U.S., Easter is not a legal holiday, nor is it in the U.K. Consider

Used to be that US schools would let out for a week's Easter Vacation, beginning with the weekend before Easter weekend. Now it's Spring Break, which may or may not include Easter. It's still Christmas Vacation, though. I guess presents outweigh eggs.
17-01-2016, 03:47 PM
(17-01-2016 02:44 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(16-01-2016 07:02 PM)Black Eagle Wrote:  I understand there are a bunch of christians who do not call it "Easter." They call it "Resurrection Day."
Do you guys think of Easter as being just one day? Like an Easter day rather than four days?

Good Friday is a thing, as is Easter Sunday. I've never heard of Easter Monday and I guess Saturday is just for laying around your tomb.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
17-01-2016, 07:21 PM
(17-01-2016 01:03 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(16-01-2016 08:31 PM)Chas Wrote:  Not nationally. The Saturday and Monday are, but not Easter day.

Easter is a four day holiday (for many), including the week-end, because many people get the week-end off anyway. But sure some people work on the week-end.
It would be a great shame to move Easter to a fixed day as it will sometimes fall mid week. Christian's shouldn't have any more say in it that non Christians.

It is not a public holiday. What some church calls a holiday is immaterial. Facepalm

They can put their Easter wherever the fuck they want to.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-01-2016, 07:28 PM
(17-01-2016 03:47 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(17-01-2016 02:44 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Do you guys think of Easter as being just one day? Like an Easter day rather than four days?

Good Friday is a thing, as is Easter Sunday. I've never heard of Easter Monday and I guess Saturday is just for laying around your tomb.

Yabut, Good Friday and Easter (Sunday) are Christian things; they are not civic holidays now in most places, nor were they ever in most places.

Some one dozen states observe Good Friday as a holiday.
If it moves or doesn't move, so what? Some of the other holidays move, some don't.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-01-2016, 10:55 PM
(17-01-2016 07:28 PM)Chas Wrote:  Yabut, Good Friday and Easter (Sunday) are Christian things; they are not civic holidays now in most places, nor were they ever in most places.
Easter has nothing to do with Christianity. It's the celebration of the fertility goddess Estre, hence the eggs and rabbits.

I know that many Christians try to claim it is about their Jesus death and resurrection. They have tried to retrofit their religious myth-strories into the Easter tradition. At least they haven't got rid of the eggs and bunnies.

(17-01-2016 07:28 PM)Chas Wrote:  Some one dozen states observe Good Friday as a holiday.
If it moves or doesn't move, so what? Some of the other holidays move, some don't.
If it get's moved then it ruins long week-end as there won't always be one, the day may fall mid-week or, worse yet, on the week-end.
If it falls on the week-end then for those of us who don't work week-ends anyway, we miss out on this day.

It's annoying, it used to happen for Waitangi day and Anzac day. When they fell on the week-end, it meant that we miss out on having days off work that year.

I don't think Christians get to dictate to governments when national holidays are to be. NZ is a secular country, not a Christian one. It would send a poor message to the secular position of the country and to the inclusivity of those in NZ who aren't Christians. So I'm hoping this change doesn't occur.
17-01-2016, 11:30 PM
Easter is an Anglo-Saxon pagan holiday. The word easter itself is derived from "Eostre", which was the name of the Anglo-Saxon spring goddess. The krauts once worshipped the same goddess as "Ostara". Personally I think we should use whatever dates they did back then, or the closest to it; for tradition's sake.

Paleoliberal • English Nationalist • Zionist • Rightist • Anti-Islam • Neoconservative • Republican • Linguistic Revivalist and Purist

Happily Divorced from the Left!