Christians wanting to hijack Easter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-01-2016, 12:13 AM
RE: Christians wanting to hijack Easter
(16-01-2016 08:31 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(16-01-2016 08:04 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Easter is a holiday in Australia.

Not nationally. The Saturday and Monday are, but not Easter day.

Mate we're Aussies. That was fixed so we could get a long weekend. But it used to be on Easter.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
18-01-2016, 12:22 AM
I couldn't care less what Sunday they celebrate it on, so long as I get a four day weekend (or five days if it's my RDO weekend) and chocolate of course.

The other thing people don't realise about science which differentiates it from religion is that, the most exciting thing about being a scientist is not knowing and being wrong. Because that means there is a lot left to learn.

"Cosmic Connections" by Lawrence Krauss
[+] 2 users Like Fie's post
18-01-2016, 07:28 AM
(17-01-2016 07:28 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(17-01-2016 03:47 PM)unfogged Wrote:  Good Friday is a thing, as is Easter Sunday. I've never heard of Easter Monday and I guess Saturday is just for laying around your tomb.

Yabut, Good Friday and Easter (Sunday) are Christian things; they are not civic holidays now in most places, nor were they ever in most places.

I didn't intend to imply otherwise. I was just noting that Easter Monday was not a thing I was familiar with. I vaguely remember getting 'good friday' off from school but that could be a false memory. It was certainly never a big deal except when I was really young I got dragged to mass on Sunday and had to "dress up" for it so I hated it even more than usual.

It sounds like there are civic holidays for easter in some places. If so, maybe the church will shoot itself in the foot there by screwing up people's holiday and reduce support for a state religion. If the church was smart they'd just pick something like 'the first weekend in April' rather than a fixed day or the ridiculous process they have now of trying to apply a lunar calendar.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
18-01-2016, 09:07 AM
(17-01-2016 01:05 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(16-01-2016 10:20 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Other than perhaps buying some candy that is wrapped for the occasion,
You guys don't do chocolate?

Chocolate is the reason for the season. Without chocolate (oh, and a couple of days off work) you may as well not have Easter.

So you don't care about Easter one way or the other, all you care about is having those particular days off?

What if we just eliminate the Easter holiday all together, for being affiliated with Christian/Religious pagan traditions that render the day as important enough to mark as a real holiday?

Wouldn't that solve the secular/religious problem?

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
18-01-2016, 09:11 AM
(18-01-2016 09:07 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(17-01-2016 01:05 PM)Stevil Wrote:  You guys don't do chocolate?

Chocolate is the reason for the season. Without chocolate (oh, and a couple of days off work) you may as well not have Easter.

So you don't care about Easter one way or the other, all you care about is having those particular days off?

What if we just eliminate the Easter holiday all together, for being affiliated with Christian/Religious pagan traditions that render the day as important enough to mark as a real holiday?

He just totally implied he cares about the chocolate too! Beat_stick

If the scholars proclaim it happened on April 3rd... why don't they just fucking make it April 3rd and be good with that already? You don't need to rely on idiotic systems formulated in the 300-800s anymore folks. You have regulated the calendars and figured out the alleged date it would of been on if it was that Sunday after passover of the year 33 based on the Jewish calendar and current calendar. How hard is that to regulate and accept? They did it for Christmas ages ago, they just gave it a bullshit date. This one they have an alleged "right" date and they somehow keep it fucked up.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
18-01-2016, 09:29 AM
(17-01-2016 10:55 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(17-01-2016 07:28 PM)Chas Wrote:  Yabut, Good Friday and Easter (Sunday) are Christian things; they are not civic holidays now in most places, nor were they ever in most places.
Easter has nothing to do with Christianity. It's the celebration of the fertility goddess Estre, hence the eggs and rabbits.

Right. Explain that to the Christians. Drinking Beverage

You have created a silly argument. No one actually celebrates the Easter you have defined.

Quote:I know that many Christians try to claim it is about their Jesus death and resurrection. They have tried to retrofit their religious myth-strories into the Easter tradition. At least they haven't got rid of the eggs and bunnies.

No, they have not 'tried', they have succeeded.

Quote:
(17-01-2016 07:28 PM)Chas Wrote:  Some one dozen states observe Good Friday as a holiday.
If it moves or doesn't move, so what? Some of the other holidays move, some don't.
If it get's moved then it ruins long week-end as there won't always be one, the day may fall mid-week or, worse yet, on the week-end.
If it falls on the week-end then for those of us who don't work week-ends anyway, we miss out on this day.

Are you joking? The Christian churches will always celebrate Easter on a Sunday regardless of how they determine the date, just like U.S. Thanksgiving is always a Thursday.

Quote:It's annoying, it used to happen for Waitangi day and Anzac day. When they fell on the week-end, it meant that we miss out on having days off work that year.

I don't think Christians get to dictate to governments when national holidays are to be. NZ is a secular country, not a Christian one. It would send a poor message to the secular position of the country and to the inclusivity of those in NZ who aren't Christians. So I'm hoping this change doesn't occur.

For the last time, Easter is not a fucking national holiday.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-01-2016, 12:04 PM
(18-01-2016 09:29 AM)Chas Wrote:  Easter is not a fucking national holiday.

Maybe it should be? We could have Good fuck day and Easter Funday Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
18-01-2016, 12:40 PM (This post was last modified: 18-01-2016 12:49 PM by Stevil.)
(18-01-2016 09:29 AM)Chas Wrote:  You have created a silly argument. No one actually celebrates the Easter you have defined.
A lot of people in NZ that celebrate Easter, do so without any thoughts of Christianity and Jesus.
We don't think about Estre either.

What we do think about is chocholate, BBQs and batches by the beach?
It's a traditional holiday and a fun one at that.

I don't care that some Christians and their churches are thinking about Jesus at that time. They are always thinking of Jesus, Good on them. But from a country perspective, a secular one. We have a national holiday. We personally get to choose how we utilise this holiday.

(18-01-2016 09:29 AM)Chas Wrote:  Are you joking? The Christian churches will always celebrate Easter on a Sunday regardless of how they determine the date, just like U.S. Thanksgiving is always a Thursday.
I don't care what the Christian churches do, from a secular country perspective the Christians don't get to dictate our holidays.
Of course, if it still means that we get friday and monday off then its not such a big issue. But, I'd still not like to see the Christians dictating to government when holidays are to be. We are a secular country, we shouldn't pander to the bloody Christians and their crazy beliefs.

(18-01-2016 09:29 AM)Chas Wrote:  For the last time, Easter is not a fucking national holiday.
Yes it is. Thousands if not millions of Kiwis take a four day week-end. Many people travel somewhere with a beach and rest and relax while eating chocolate.
The holiday traffic of the Easter holidays is the worst of all the traffic that we have in the entire year.
18-01-2016, 12:45 PM
(18-01-2016 09:07 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  So you don't care about Easter one way or the other, all you care about is having those particular days off?

I'm quite happy having a holiday historically rooted on the mythical Estre.
Just like I am quite happy having Christmas holidays historically rooted on the mythical Jesus.
They are both traditional kiwi holidays.

However I do feel that people ought to be able to choose some holidays e.g. We have many indians here that want to work on Christmas but take of Diwali instead, and many muslims that what Ramadan. I don't see why they have to waste their holiday on Christmas when they would rather spend it at some other time.
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
18-01-2016, 12:52 PM
(18-01-2016 12:40 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(18-01-2016 09:29 AM)Chas Wrote:  You have created a silly argument. No one actually celebrates the Easter you have defined.
A lot of people in NZ that celebrate Easter, do so without any thoughts of Christianity and Jesus.
We don't think about Estre either.

What we do think about is chocholate, BBQs and batches by the beach?
It's a traditional holiday and a fun one at that.

I don't care that some Christians and their churches are thinking about Jesus at that time. They are always thinking of Jesus, Good on them. But from a country perspective, a secular one. We have a national holiday. We personally get to choose how we utilise this holiday.

(18-01-2016 09:29 AM)Chas Wrote:  Are you joking? The Christian churches will always celebrate Easter on a Sunday regardless of how they determine the date, just like U.S. Thanksgiving is always a Thursday.
I don't care what the Christian churches do, from a secular country perspective the Christians don't get to dictate our holidays.
Of course, if it still means that we get friday and monday off then its not such a big issue. But, I'd still not like to see the Christians dictating to government when holidays are to be. We are a secular country, we shouldn't pander to the bloody Christians and their crazy beliefs.

(18-01-2016 09:29 AM)Chas Wrote:  For the last time, Easter is not a fucking national holiday.
Yes it is. Thousands if not millions of Kiwis take a four day week-end. Many people travel somewhere with a beach and rest and relax while eating chocolate.
The holiday traffic of the Easter holidays is the worst of all the traffic that we have in the entire year.

Only the Friday and the Monday are public holidays in NZ.

But more the the point, the Christians already determine the date of Easter every year.
Your argument is entirely without substance.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user