Christians wanting to hijack Easter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-01-2016, 12:59 PM
RE: Christians wanting to hijack Easter
(18-01-2016 12:52 PM)Chas Wrote:  But more the the point, the Christians already determine the date of Easter every year.
Your argument is entirely without substance.
It's determined by the ecclesiastical approximation of the March equinox.

If government want to change this determination they need to change NZ law.

Perhpas in the past we had Christian churches influencing govt and law. But we are now a multicultural secular country. It's time for the govt to prove that the Christians don't rule above others.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-01-2016, 01:12 PM
[Image: fark_7ghs1o5C7BBwWIlkZHcOwSbJPpE.jpg?t=I...1453698000]

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
18-01-2016, 01:34 PM
The catholic church already hijacked Easter here in Ireland. Well Good Friday anyway. There's nothing good about it. On Good Friday the sale and display of alcohol is strictly forbidden!! Weeping On Holy Thursday the shops are full of people panic buying a supply of beer etc... for the Friday. It's ok for us locals, we're used to it. I feel sorry for the tourists who arrive in Dublin on Good Friday. All the pubs are closed, the place is like a ghost town.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
18-01-2016, 02:31 PM
(18-01-2016 12:59 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(18-01-2016 12:52 PM)Chas Wrote:  But more the the point, the Christians already determine the date of Easter every year.
Your argument is entirely without substance.
It's determined by the ecclesiastical approximation of the March equinox.

If government want to change this determination they need to change NZ law.

Perhpas in the past we had Christian churches influencing govt and law. But we are now a multicultural secular country. It's time for the govt to prove that the Christians don't rule above others.

Would you care to cite that law?

In 325 CE the Council of Nicaea established that Easter would be held on the first Sunday after the first full moon occurring on or after the vernal equinox.

The date already moves around according to that formula which is Christian in origin and practice. So the Christians already have de facto control of the date.
What exactly are you arguing?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
18-01-2016, 09:55 PM
(18-01-2016 02:31 PM)Chas Wrote:  The date already moves around according to that formula which is Christian in origin and practice. So the Christians already have de facto control of the date.

Hmm, It's beside the point whether the formula was of Christian origin. All that is important is whether the formula is calculable or whether the government is directed by the Christians regarding the date to celebrate Easter.

I've just found this.
employment.govt.nz/er/holidaysandleave/publicholidays/publicholidaydates/current.asp
Quote:Easter dates confirmed by Catholic Church.
Which is a bit shit really.
Easter has nothing to do with Christianity, NZ isn't a Christian country and most NZers aren't Catholic.
So I have no idea why we let the Catholics tell us when to celebrate Easter.
18-01-2016, 10:29 PM
(18-01-2016 01:34 PM)Marozz Wrote:  The catholic church already hijacked Easter here in Ireland. Well Good Friday anyway. There's nothing good about it. On Good Friday the sale and display of alcohol is strictly forbidden!! Weeping On Holy Thursday the shops are full of people panic buying a supply of beer etc... for the Friday. It's ok for us locals, we're used to it. I feel sorry for the tourists who arrive in Dublin on Good Friday. All the pubs are closed, the place is like a ghost town.
No Irishman is drunk, so long as he has a blade of grass to hold onto.
[+] 1 user Likes jabeady's post
19-01-2016, 07:46 AM
(18-01-2016 09:55 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(18-01-2016 02:31 PM)Chas Wrote:  The date already moves around according to that formula which is Christian in origin and practice. So the Christians already have de facto control of the date.

Hmm, It's beside the point whether the formula was of Christian origin. All that is important is whether the formula is calculable or whether the government is directed by the Christians regarding the date to celebrate Easter.

I've just found this.
employment.govt.nz/er/holidaysandleave/publicholidays/publicholidaydates/current.asp
Quote:Easter dates confirmed by Catholic Church.
Easter has nothing to do with Christianity, NZ isn't a Christian country and most NZers aren't Catholic.

Your claim that by changing the formula for setting the date of Easter, the Christians are somehow 'hijacking' Easter is still silly.

19-01-2016, 12:41 PM
(19-01-2016 07:46 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(18-01-2016 09:55 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Hmm, It's beside the point whether the formula was of Christian origin. All that is important is whether the formula is calculable or whether the government is directed by the Christians regarding the date to celebrate Easter.

I've just found this.

Your claim that by changing the formula for setting the date of Easter, the Christians are somehow 'hijacking' Easter is still silly.
In your silly opinion, but that's just you isn't it.

Our laws, our official holidays should not be dictated by Christian churches, we are a secular country.

But I can see that you are struggling to understand that.
19-01-2016, 01:14 PM
(19-01-2016 12:41 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(19-01-2016 07:46 AM)Chas Wrote:  Your claim that by changing the formula for setting the date of Easter, the Christians are somehow 'hijacking' Easter is still silly.
In your silly opinion, but that's just you isn't it.

Our laws, our official holidays should not be dictated by Christian churches, we are a secular country.

But I can see that you are struggling to understand that.

They already are dictated by them, but I can see that you are struggling to understand that.

That they change the way it is computed is in no way 'hijacking' it, but I can see that you are struggling to understand that.

19-01-2016, 01:36 PM
(17-01-2016 07:28 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(17-01-2016 03:47 PM)unfogged Wrote:  Good Friday is a thing, as is Easter Sunday. I've never heard of Easter Monday and I guess Saturday is just for laying around your tomb.

Yabut, Good Friday and Easter (Sunday) are Christian things; they are not civic holidays now in most places, nor were they ever in most places.

Some one dozen states observe Good Friday as a holiday.
If it moves or doesn't move, so what? Some of the other holidays move, some don't.

Germany has an Easter Monday. A second day of Xmas, too.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man