Christians wanting to hijack Easter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-01-2016, 04:29 PM
RE: Christians wanting to hijack Easter
(21-01-2016 03:55 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(21-01-2016 03:36 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  The only difference would be that it's the same weekend every year (yes, it would still be on a weekend).
Who knows what the Christians will decide to do? They may fix the date, they may rename the holiday, who knows?

There is absolutely zero chance of Easter being any day other than Sunday. Christianity has a very strong tradition that Christ died on Friday, and was raised on Sunday. That is, in fact, why their primary church service year-round is on Sunday, rather than the Jewish Sabbath (Saturday). That's not going to change, and Easter will be on Sunday for as long as Christianity continues to exist.

I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill. Is it a standard thing in New Zealand for people to have Sunday off? It is here in the U.S. Some people do work on Sundays, but for the majority, it's a day of rest. I suspect it's the same there. You do know that the reason for that is entirely religious, don't you? Sunday is a day off because it is the Christian "day of rest". Why aren't you upset about that?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-01-2016, 06:08 PM (This post was last modified: 21-01-2016 08:27 PM by Stevil.)
(21-01-2016 04:29 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Sunday is a day off because it is the Christian "day of rest". Why aren't you upset about that?
I think you are confussed as to my position. I think you want to build something up to make my position appear illogical or irrelevant or something.

I have no problem with Easter, Christmas or week-ends.
I don't care what their origins are.

I would have a problem if Christians decided to change it so thatthat Friday and Saturday are to be the days off and then NZ government decided to change to align with that Christian understanding.

I would be having issues if my government were to force change on all of NZers based on a change that Christians have decided upon. Regardless of our history and roots, we are now a secular country. It shouldn't matter what Christians think about Easter with regards to our government. At one stage govt and Christians were aligned, it doesn't matter that we diverge, our govt don't need to follow the Christian change in order to stay aligned. I, as a non Christian don't want to follow Christians.
21-01-2016, 11:36 PM
(21-01-2016 06:08 PM)Stevil Wrote:  I would be having issues if my government were to force change on all of NZers based on a change that Christians have decided upon. Regardless of our history and roots, we are now a secular country. It shouldn't matter what Christians think about Easter with regards to our government. At one stage govt and Christians were aligned, it doesn't matter that we diverge, our govt don't need to follow the Christian change in order to stay aligned. I, as a non Christian don't want to follow Christians.

It may simply make political and business sense to follow suit. I'm pretty sure no one in the NZ government really gives a shit about Easter or not, but if the majority want to stay on the Christian holiday scheme, then that's what'll happen. Even if it's not the majority, there could be good reasons (like if say Australia is on the Christian Easter plan) to follow suit, just from the point of view of business.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
22-01-2016, 01:19 AM
(20-01-2016 08:42 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(20-01-2016 05:08 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Who cares. I mean does it really effect us as Atheists if they make it on a fixed date?
Depends if it falls on a week-end or mid week, or something. We used to missout on waitangi and ANZAC day when if fell on the week-end.

(20-01-2016 05:08 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  And after all it is their holiday. Yea it's got its roots in pagan shit but comon, 1,000 years ago... It's very much a Christian holiday now celebrating the execution of a fictional character and the zombie rising of that same fictional character.
I disagree. I celebrate Easter, it has nothing to do with Christianity for me. My country is secular.

They will Mondaize it if it falls on the weekend.
It pisses me off when people complain that they never got an extra day off for ANZAC day. It's a day remembering those that have died for our country, have some respect.

You celebrating it or what it means to you is completely irrelevant. You can do that no matter what the date of it is.

Quote:But if the Govt decided to move the way it is calculated in order to pander to the whims of Christians then the message that they are presenting is that although many of our laws are "secular" we are in fact a "Christian" country.

Oh god spare me.
If the government changes the date it's not because it's bowing to the Church it's because it's such a non-issue that you might as well go along with it seeing as how they care about it so much.

It's like gay marriage. It's such a non-issue for straight people you might as well just give it us gays because it effects us the most. Doesn't mean the government is bowing to every whim of the gays.

Look, all is gonna be fine as long as Colin Craig doesn't get into any sort of real power in the future. Which he wont.
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
22-01-2016, 09:10 AM
(21-01-2016 06:08 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(21-01-2016 04:29 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Sunday is a day off because it is the Christian "day of rest". Why aren't you upset about that?
I think you are confussed as to my position. I think you want to build something up to make my position appear illogical or irrelevant or something.

I have no problem with Easter, Christmas or week-ends.
I don't care what their origins are.

I would have a problem if Christians decided to change it so thatthat Friday and Saturday are to be the days off and then NZ government decided to change to align with that Christian understanding.

I would be having issues if my government were to force change on all of NZers based on a change that Christians have decided upon. Regardless of our history and roots, we are now a secular country. It shouldn't matter what Christians think about Easter with regards to our government. At one stage govt and Christians were aligned, it doesn't matter that we diverge, our govt don't need to follow the Christian change in order to stay aligned. I, as a non Christian don't want to follow Christians.

I think you're confused about your own position. The source of your outrage seems to be that the Church has some say about when the holiday is celebrated. But then you should have been outraged about it all along, not just now when they propose to make a minor change to their method of determining the date. The church has determined the date all along. Nothing significant is changing. If they hadn't made this announcement, you would never have even noticed.

If you have no problem with Christmas, Easter, or weekends (and the fact that these are, and always have been, religiously determined), then you have no reason to have a problem at all. Nothing significant is changing. You're making a mountain out of a molehill.
22-01-2016, 12:34 PM
As Easter is actually My eponymous holiday, I hereby request that Christians rename their version to something else and move it as far as possible from the spring equinox.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-01-2016, 12:38 PM
(22-01-2016 09:10 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I think you're confused about your own position. The source of your outrage seems to be that the Church has some say about when the holiday is celebrated. But then you should have been outraged about it all along, not just now when they propose to make a minor change to their method of determining the date. The church has determined the date all along. Nothing significant is changing. If they hadn't made this announcement, you would never have even noticed.

That was my first thought...

... this is my signature!
22-01-2016, 12:39 PM
(22-01-2016 12:34 PM)Astreja Wrote:  As Easter is actually My eponymous holiday, I hereby request that Christians rename their version to something else and move it as far as possible from the spring equinox.

To be fair, it's the fall equinox for a few hundred million people.

[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
22-01-2016, 02:31 PM
(22-01-2016 12:39 PM)cjlr Wrote:  To be fair, it's the fall equinox for a few hundred million people.

True, that. However, I only have jurisdiction over the Northern Hemisphere version of the vernal equinox (although I occasionally do a shout-out to the people celebrating fall south of the equator).
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-01-2016, 02:36 PM
(22-01-2016 02:31 PM)Astreja Wrote:  
(22-01-2016 12:39 PM)cjlr Wrote:  To be fair, it's the fall equinox for a few hundred million people.

True, that. However, I only have jurisdiction over the Northern Hemisphere version of the vernal equinox (although I occasionally do a shout-out to the people celebrating fall south of the equator).

I mean, I'd presume there are corresponding equinoctial observances for indigenous southern peoples, but you have to get pretty far into the subtropics for it to be a noticeable inflection point.