Christians who say to atheists "Glad to hear you're talking about Jesus!"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-05-2015, 11:52 AM
Christians who say to atheists "Glad to hear you're talking about Jesus!"
I hear sort of thing a lot from Christians, who are like "You're closer to God than you realize, because you're showing an interest in Him!" as if the act of simply exposing myself to people's religious views will somehow make me more likely to believe them.... in fact, it's just the opposite Laugh out load

What do you even say to those people? I usually just ignore them, because they're clearly not interested in actually learning about what motivates non-religious people to discuss religion.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-05-2015, 12:01 PM
RE: Christians who say to atheists "Glad to hear you're talking about Jesus!"
Some atheists don't give a shit about religion at all. Others atheists study all religions because they find the topic interesting. The origin of all religions is a topic of interest to some atheists. You can find a topic interesting without believing in it. For example I could study the Greek myths out of interest but I will never believe in that nonsense literally. I see Greek myths as they really are MYTHS. Some atheists read the bible but they see the book as it really is , a collection of Middle East stories.

Religion is bullshit. The winner of the last person to post wins thread.Yes
[+] 1 user Likes Leo's post
10-05-2015, 12:03 PM (This post was last modified: 10-05-2015 12:16 PM by goodwithoutgod.)
(10-05-2015 11:52 AM)cactus Wrote:  I hear sort of thing a lot from Christians, who are like "You're closer to God than you realize, because you're showing an interest in Him!" as if the act of simply exposing myself to people's religious views will somehow make me more likely to believe them.... in fact, it's just the opposite Laugh out load

What do you even say to those people? I usually just ignore them, because they're clearly not interested in actually learning about what motivates non-religious people to discuss religion.

mmmm guess it would depend on my mood perhaps....

1) "Which god? there are so many made-up gods to choose from...."

2) "I know right? Hail Romulus!"

3) "I talk about bigfoot too, who ALSO doesn't exist..."

4) *make body jerk dramatically* "yes!.....praise Zeus, I hear your call oh great one!....what's that? kill the non believer?" *look crazy at the religious person and step forward suddenly...*

Evil_monster

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
10-05-2015, 12:07 PM
(10-05-2015 11:52 AM)cactus Wrote:  I hear sort of thing a lot from Christians, who are like "You're closer to God than you realize, because you're showing an interest in Him!" as if the act of simply exposing myself to people's religious views will somehow make me more likely to believe them.... in fact, it's just the opposite Laugh out load

When I was a christian, I had this mindset as well. I was so brainwashed and all about God. It was hard for me to understand why others didn't feel the same way I did about god. I try not to engage christian family/friends in these kinds of debates because it always ends in arguments. I usually just say read the entire Bible and then we can talk.
10-05-2015, 12:16 PM
(10-05-2015 12:07 PM)jennybee Wrote:  

When I was a christian, I had this mindset as well. I was so brainwashed and all about God. It was hard for me to understand why others didn't feel the same way I did about god. I try not to engage christian family/friends in these kinds of debates because it always ends in arguments. I usually just say read the entire Bible and then we can talk.

Funny how clear the world becomes when one discards their god-glasses isn't it Smile

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
10-05-2015, 12:28 PM
(10-05-2015 12:16 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  
(10-05-2015 12:07 PM)jennybee Wrote:  When I was a christian, I had this mindset as well. I was so brainwashed and all about God. It was hard for me to understand why others didn't feel the same way I did about god. I try not to engage christian family/friends in these kinds of debates because it always ends in arguments. I usually just say read the entire Bible and then we can talk.

Funny how clear the world becomes when one discards their god-glasses isn't it Smile

Very true. It's very hard to disengage from all of that since the church perpetuates the whole god glasses thing. The church tells you which passages to read and how to interpret them. For instance, I used to love this saying from the Bible: For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. (Jeremiah 29:11). Nice, right? Except--after reading the entire passage and not just that little snipit the church feeds you, I realized that the passage is really talking about the Babylonian captivity (a punishment handed down to Israel by god for their disobedience). Facepalm
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
10-05-2015, 12:33 PM (This post was last modified: 10-05-2015 12:41 PM by goodwithoutgod.)
(10-05-2015 12:28 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(10-05-2015 12:16 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  Funny how clear the world becomes when one discards their god-glasses isn't it Smile

Very true. It's very hard to disengage from all of that since the church perpetuates the whole god glasses thing. The church tells you which passages to read and how to interpret them. For instance, I used to love this saying from the Bible: For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. (Jeremiah 29:11). Nice, right? Except--after reading the entire passage and not just that little snipit the church feeds you, I realized that the passage is really talking about the Babylonian captivity (a punishment handed down to Israel by god for their disobedience). Facepalm

The vast majority of people who profess to be Christians most likely have never actually independently read the bible, they get their exposure from their preacher/minister who spoonfeeds them cherry picked scriptures designed to validate whatever their message for the day is, based on their interpretation of the meaning of that scripture. Any questions or requests for clarification are treated with shocked expressions and reproachful shakes of the head..."that is the devil trying to create doubt in your heart, come, lets pray together"....I know, I use to say those things.

EDIT: and if they have read the bible, they read it while wearing their god-glasses. The same god-glasses they wear when a trailer park is wiped out by a tornado and there are two survivors.."god is great!, a miracle..."...what about everyone who died..."We don't know god's plan"..."it is not for us to question god, we are incapable of understanding his vision for our lives"...ahhhhh yes of course, makes perfect sense. The ability to find god in everything good that happens, and attribute everything bad that happens as the devil's work, or maybe "god's plan" is indicative of the blindfold of faith.....god-glasses. Brilliant salesmanship, truly.

[+] 3 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
10-05-2015, 12:40 PM
Tell them to dwell on the ineffable mystery of the giant earwig.

And - if they refuse -- tell them Almighty Bob will cast them into darkness.....

It makes every bit as much sense as the drivel they believe in......

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
10-05-2015, 12:40 PM
Holy smokes ! You were a pastor ? I enjoy reading your posts. A former pastor destroying theists trolls in discussions is really cool.

Religion is bullshit. The winner of the last person to post wins thread.Yes
[+] 1 user Likes Leo's post
10-05-2015, 12:41 PM
(10-05-2015 12:33 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  
(10-05-2015 12:28 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Very true. It's very hard to disengage from all of that since the church perpetuates the whole god glasses thing. The church tells you which passages to read and how to interpret them. For instance, I used to love this saying from the Bible: For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. (Jeremiah 29:11). Nice, right? Except--after reading the entire passage and not just that little snipit the church feeds you, I realized that the passage is really talking about the Babylonian captivity (a punishment handed down to Israel by god for their disobedience). Facepalm

The vast majority of people who profess to be Christians most likely have never actually independently read the bible, they get their exposure from their preacher/minister who spoonfeeds them cherry picked scriptures designed to validate whatever their message for the day is, based on their interpretation of the meaning of that scripture. Any questions or requests for clarification are treated with chocked expressions and reproachful shakes of the head..."that is the devil trying to create doubt in your heart, come, lets pray together"....I know, I use to say those things.

I said the same things as a christian and was told the same in return by my pastor. Once I started having doubts, my pastor would actually get snippy with me when I would ask him questions. It made it hard to get a straight answer and I knew I had to look elsewhere. A lot of christians are afraid to ask questions and when they do--they are often met with resistance or soft-pedaling of passages.
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post