Christina Hoff Sommers Defeats Feminist Video Game Alarmism with Logic and Data

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-09-2014, 02:10 PM
RE: Christina Hoff Sommers Defeats Feminist Video Game Alarmism with Logic and Data
(17-09-2014 01:39 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(17-09-2014 01:16 PM)morondog Wrote:  Funny, you misrepresent feminists all the time Drinking Beverage
I don't think that's quite accurate; I think the problem is that you guys don't consider the people he argues against to be feminists, even though they themselves do.

Nope. He is lumping all feminists in with the vocal, extremist minority. That's the strawman he constructed.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-09-2014, 02:11 PM
RE: Christina Hoff Sommers Defeats Feminist Video Game Alarmism with Logic and Data
(17-09-2014 02:08 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(17-09-2014 01:44 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  No Vosur, he takes already extremists who are not actually feminists and then takes them up to pure strawman status.
Thanks for proving my point. As for the latter part, I'm confident that I can find you self-proclaimed feminists who espouse these so-called "strawman." Care to give it a try?

(17-09-2014 02:02 PM)morondog Wrote:  So when he says shit like "Oh maybe, just maybe, feminists are trying to encourage rape to make themselves more popular" - and I'm not even *exagerrating* although I can't be arsed to look up the exact quote (go look at the OP of his "Feminism, Rape and Immigration" thread if you want it) - that's not misrepresenting them? And that's not an isolated example either.
As I said in my previous post, and as confirmed by Revenant just now, you wouldn't consider the people who advocate these views to be feminists, despite the fact that they themselves do.

Nope. He is confusing the strident minority with the mainstream.

This is his bullshit, not ours.

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
17-09-2014, 02:11 PM (This post was last modified: 17-09-2014 02:54 PM by Revenant77x.)
(17-09-2014 02:08 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(17-09-2014 01:44 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  No Vosur, he takes already extremists who are not actually feminists and then takes them up to pure strawman status.
Thanks for proving my point. As for the latter part, I'm confident that I can find you self-proclaimed feminists who espouse these so-called "strawman." Care to give it a try?

(17-09-2014 02:02 PM)morondog Wrote:  So when he says shit like "Oh maybe, just maybe, feminists are trying to encourage rape to make themselves more popular" - and I'm not even *exagerrating* although I can't be arsed to look up the exact quote (go look at the OP of his "Feminism, Rape and Immigration" thread if you want it) - that's not misrepresenting them? And that's not an isolated example either.
As I said in my previous post, and as confirmed by Revenant just now, you wouldn't consider the people who advocate these views to be feminists, despite the fact that they themselves do.

*edited due to poor judgement*

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
17-09-2014, 02:12 PM (This post was last modified: 17-09-2014 02:55 PM by Vosur.)
(17-09-2014 02:10 PM)Chas Wrote:  Nope. He is lumping all feminists in with the vocal, extremist minority. That's the strawman he constructed.
(17-09-2014 02:11 PM)Chas Wrote:  Nope. He is confusing the strident minority with the mainstream.

I don't think I've read the posts you are referring to, but if that's true, then I agree it's stupid of him to generalize feminists based on a couple of extremists.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
17-09-2014, 02:20 PM
(17-09-2014 02:12 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(17-09-2014 02:10 PM)Chas Wrote:  Nope. He is lumping all feminists in with the vocal, extremist minority. That's the strawman he constructed.
(17-09-2014 02:11 PM)Chas Wrote:  Nope. He is confusing the strident minority with the mainstream.

I don't think I've read the posts you are referring to, but if that's true, then I agree it's stupid of him to generalize feminists based on a couple of extremists.

That's odd. Consider All of his posts on feminism read that way.

[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
17-09-2014, 02:23 PM
(17-09-2014 02:08 PM)Vosur Wrote:  As I said in my previous post, and as confirmed by Revenant just now, you wouldn't consider the people who advocate these views to be feminists, despite the fact that they themselves do.

Have you *read* his fucking OP? He didn't say "a small subset of feminists" He said "feminists" as in "all feminists". Christ man. Here. I'll link it for you. Maybe you can then see what a pointless dick the fella is. And kindly credit me with the intelligence to realise if I was pulling a no true Scotsman, as you allege. Dodgy

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
17-09-2014, 02:26 PM
(17-09-2014 02:23 PM)morondog Wrote:  Have you *read* his fucking OP? He didn't say "a small subset of feminists" He said "feminists" as in "all feminists". Christ man. Here. I'll link it for you. Maybe you can then see what a pointless dick the fella is. And kindly credit me with the intelligence to realise if I was pulling a no true Scotsman, as you allege. Dodgy
I'll answer your question with a question: Have you taken a look at his rep? I gave him a -3 rep for that thread about a month ago because it was so retarded. Laugh out load

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
17-09-2014, 02:27 PM
(17-09-2014 02:26 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(17-09-2014 02:23 PM)morondog Wrote:  Have you *read* his fucking OP? He didn't say "a small subset of feminists" He said "feminists" as in "all feminists". Christ man. Here. I'll link it for you. Maybe you can then see what a pointless dick the fella is. And kindly credit me with the intelligence to realise if I was pulling a no true Scotsman, as you allege. Dodgy
I'll answer your question with a question: Have you taken a look at his rep? I gave him a -3 rep for that thread about a month ago because it was so retarded. Laugh out load

So then on what are you basing us "strawmanning" his position when you have acknowledged that is his position?

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
17-09-2014, 02:30 PM
(17-09-2014 02:26 PM)Vosur Wrote:  

So... you agree that he misrepresented feminists? (Which he *continues* to do almost every time he posts). What's with your comment then?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
17-09-2014, 02:34 PM
(17-09-2014 01:44 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(17-09-2014 01:39 PM)Vosur Wrote:  I don't think that's quite accurate; I think the problem is that you guys don't consider the people he argues against to be feminists, even though they themselves do.

No Vosur, he takes already extremists who are not actually feminists and then takes them up to pure strawman status. I am actually surprised how often you are quietly on the side of Res and his fellow know-nothing blowhard spine.

So no true scotsman it is then.

Paleoliberal • English Nationalist • Zionist • Rightist • Anti-Islam • Neoconservative • Republican • Linguistic Revivalist and Purist

Happily Divorced from the Left!