Christina Hoff Sommers Defeats Feminist Video Game Alarmism with Logic and Data

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-09-2014, 02:37 PM
RE: Christina Hoff Sommers Defeats Feminist Video Game Alarmism with Logic and Data
(17-09-2014 02:27 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  So then on what are you basing us "strawmanning" his position when you have acknowledged that is his position?
(17-09-2014 02:30 PM)morondog Wrote:  So... you agree that he misrepresented feminists? (Which he *continues* to do almost every time he posts). What's with your comment then?

I think there's been a little misunderstanding here. All I've been saying is that the views he has been criticizing aren't straw men in so far that they are, in fact, being espoused by a number of self-proclaimed feminists. I don't agree with him that they are representative of the movement as a whole, but I can acknowledge their existence nonetheless.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
17-09-2014, 02:44 PM
RE: Christina Hoff Sommers Defeats Feminist Video Game Alarmism with Logic and Data
(17-09-2014 02:37 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(17-09-2014 02:27 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  So then on what are you basing us "strawmanning" his position when you have acknowledged that is his position?
(17-09-2014 02:30 PM)morondog Wrote:  So... you agree that he misrepresented feminists? (Which he *continues* to do almost every time he posts). What's with your comment then?

I think there's been a little misunderstanding here. All I've been saying is that the views he has been criticizing aren't straw men in so far that they are, in fact, being espoused by a number of self-proclaimed feminists. I don't agree with him that they are representative of the movement as a whole, but I can acknowledge their existence nonetheless.

... Painting the entire feminist movement with the brush that they are extremist is *not* a strawman? Rolleyes

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
17-09-2014, 02:44 PM
(17-09-2014 02:37 PM)Vosur Wrote:  

His position absolutely is a strawman because he paints all feminists with that brush.

How about if I say "Muslims are terrorists"? Or "Germans kill Jews"?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
17-09-2014, 02:46 PM
(17-09-2014 02:44 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(17-09-2014 02:37 PM)Vosur Wrote:  I think there's been a little misunderstanding here. All I've been saying is that the views he has been criticizing aren't straw men in so far that they are, in fact, being espoused by a number of self-proclaimed feminists. I don't agree with him that they are representative of the movement as a whole, but I can acknowledge their existence nonetheless.

His position absolutely is a strawman because he paints all feminists with that brush.

Well I don't hear you condemning radical feminists. You actually jump right on board with them, and praise Sarkeesian and Quinn.

Paleoliberal • English Nationalist • Zionist • Rightist • Anti-Islam • Neoconservative • Republican • Linguistic Revivalist and Purist

Happily Divorced from the Left!
17-09-2014, 02:48 PM
(17-09-2014 02:46 PM)Res Publica Wrote:  
(17-09-2014 02:44 PM)Chas Wrote:  His position absolutely is a strawman because he paints all feminists with that brush.

Well I don't hear you condemning radical feminists. You actually jump right on board with them, and praise Sarkeesian and Quinn.

Really most of the comments I have seen here are "Who are they?" followed by a Hmm Anna has a few points but is wrong on other things. Zoe Quinn was the victim of a psycho ex boyfriend and the internet trolls that inhabit 4chan.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
17-09-2014, 02:51 PM
(17-09-2014 02:48 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(17-09-2014 02:46 PM)Res Publica Wrote:  Well I don't hear you condemning radical feminists. You actually jump right on board with them, and praise Sarkeesian and Quinn.

Really most of the comments I have seen here are "Who are they?" followed by a Hmm Anna has a few points but is wrong on other things. Zoe Quinn was the victim of a psycho ex boyfriend and the internet trolls that inhabit 4chan.

His motives might not be the best, but he has unveiled corruption. And her ex isn't the one who is a rapist by her own definition.

Paleoliberal • English Nationalist • Zionist • Rightist • Anti-Islam • Neoconservative • Republican • Linguistic Revivalist and Purist

17-09-2014, 02:52 PM
(17-09-2014 02:46 PM)Res Publica Wrote:  Well I don't hear you condemning radical feminists. You actually jump right on board with them, and praise Sarkeesian and Quinn.

AFAIK the criticism levelled at them has not been any kind of nuanced criticism. I haven't listened to or read any of their shit, but the reaction of the wider fucktard community has been telling.

I challenge you to prove that either of these women is a radical feminist such as you portray the feminist movement to consist of.

Proof shall be by referenced source and direct quotations, not by posting endless youtube vids from basement dwelling troglodytes.

(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
17-09-2014, 02:54 PM
(17-09-2014 02:52 PM)morondog Wrote:  

AFAIK the criticism levelled at them has not been any kind of nuanced criticism. I haven't listened to or read any of their shit, but the reaction of the wider fucktard community has been telling.

I challenge you to prove that either of these women is a radical feminist such as you portray the feminist movement to consist of.

Proof shall be by referenced source and direct quotations, not by posting endless youtube vids from basement dwelling troglodytes.

This perfectly illustrates just how ignorant you are. You are defending something that you haven't even seen.

Also, you ended with an ad hominem. An untrue ad hominem too, as Thunderf00t is a scientist.

17-09-2014, 02:55 PM
(17-09-2014 02:54 PM)Res Publica Wrote:  
(17-09-2014 02:52 PM)morondog Wrote:  AFAIK the criticism levelled at them has not been any kind of nuanced criticism. I haven't listened to or read any of their shit, but the reaction of the wider fucktard community has been telling.

This perfectly illustrates just how ignorant you are. You are defending something that you haven't even seen.

Also, you ended with an ad hominem. An untrue ad hominem too, as Thunderf00t is a scientist.

Can you answer the challenge or not?

Edit: bonus challenge - prove that I have defended either of these women. Defended their right to be heard and not insulted by little creeps like yourself, yeah. Defended their views? Show me the post, boyo.

[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
17-09-2014, 02:55 PM
(17-09-2014 02:11 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(17-09-2014 02:08 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Thanks for proving my point. As for the latter part, I'm confident that I can find you self-proclaimed feminists who espouse these so-called "strawman." Care to give it a try?

As I said in my previous post, and as confirmed by Revenant just now, you wouldn't consider the people who advocate these views to be feminists, despite the fact that they themselves do.

*edited due to poor judgement*

Vosur, I would like to publicly apologise for bringing up a personal matter like this. It was not cool at all and I will not do so again. I'm sorry.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post