Christmas...?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-12-2015, 04:33 PM
Christmas...?
I have a stupid question. If Christmas is supposed to be the celebration of longer days to come and the solstice, why wouldn't the southern hemisphere celebrate Christmas in July, their winter? Or has the church changed that whole thing and now it is just December 25th no matter what? Did ancient pagans celebrate "Christmas" at different times of the year depending on where they lived?

Just wanted your thoughts... maybe you have some info that I'm having a hard time finding.

Thanks
Deanne
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-12-2015, 05:08 PM
RE: Christmas...?
Welcome and good question. We Northern Hemisphere residents are completely unaware that there exists a Southern Hemisphere Big Grin

I think Christmas was exported to other parts of the world with the European expansion and colonization, we can thank the British Empire for most of that. There was no need to change the date since they weren’t celebrating the solstice but rather baby Jeebus’ birthday.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
28-12-2015, 05:10 PM
RE: Christmas...?
Because the Romans didn`t even know that the southern hemisphere existed when they set up the calendars that we use today.

I dont know what pagan origins christmas had, I only know that Haloween has it`s origins as an Irish Celtic festival that celebrated dead ancestors by gathering the village arround a hill and getting drunk.
The christmas tree suposedly has it`s origin in Germanic or Viking paganism. And that we celebrate christmas on the 25th of december is because of mithraism.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
[+] 1 user Likes The Germans are coming's post