Christmas. Boxes. And Oreo cookie syndrome

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-12-2013, 09:27 AM
Christmas. Boxes. And Oreo cookie syndrome
Christmas. Boxes. And Oreo cookie syndrome.

So over Christmas we went through the mean not being a "real black person". According to the U.S. Census Bureau I'm black Hispanic (biracial). According to the Tennessee one drop im black. Also according to the Virginia 12% rule. However culturally and physically according to the rest of my family no I'm not. Since my father's people came from Cuba I'm Hispanic. (No I don't speak Spanish) And my hair won't kink for the life of me ( which irritates me since I want locks) and I don't eat "soul food". It's a little hurtful that they don't consider me and my mother one of them. And truthfully neither of us have ever felt like one of them. Though it's not like we've never try to fit in. But somehow they see me and they automatically think Princess. I'm really not sure what to do here. I kind of feel like I should just give up.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-12-2013, 09:38 AM
RE: Christmas. Boxes. And Oreo cookie syndrome
(26-12-2013 09:27 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  Christmas. Boxes. And Oreo cookie syndrome.

So over Christmas we went through the mean not being a "real black person". According to the U.S. Census Bureau I'm black Hispanic (biracial). According to the Tennessee one drop im black. Also according to the Virginia 12% rule. However culturally and physically according to the rest of my family no I'm not. Since my father's people came from Cuba I'm Hispanic. (No I don't speak Spanish) And my hair won't kink for the life of me ( which irritates me since I want locks) and I don't eat "soul food". It's a little hurtful that they don't consider me and my mother one of them. And truthfully neither of us have ever felt like one of them. Though it's not like we've never try to fit in. But somehow they see me and they automatically think Princess. I'm really not sure what to do here. I kind of feel like I should just give up.

Lol I get where you're coming from on the not being a "real black person". I get told all the time because I'm an atheist I'm an uncle tom. When I told my parents they immediately responded with "you need to stop hanging with them white folks"(in their country ass voice of course). I've never been big into any of the normal "black guy things" (sagging pants, Jordan's, dirty language, etc.)so I use to get upset about this but I've learned to not even play their game. I wouldn't say it's more of giving up its more of you refuse to play their stupid game of categorizing every little thing. In all just know you're not alone on not being accepted by the majority because I'm black and I don't either lol.
Find all posts by this user
26-12-2013, 09:46 AM
I'm a whitey, so I can't really say much.. But I really wish it just didn't matter. Just be friends with who you want and be how you wanna be! The world is getting more and more mixed anyway, people should care less about ,like mrkrispy said, categorizing every little thing.
[+] 1 user Likes Colourcraze's post
26-12-2013, 09:52 AM
Yeah. It's crazy with how much knowledge with have about people and their makeup that it still matters what "color" we are.
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
26-12-2013, 09:57 AM
For some reason I pictured you as a pale redhead. Not sure why.

I think many people of mixed heritage have experienced what you're feeling. Not much you can do about it other than continue to be you. I don't have much useful input on this though. My mom was adopted and w have non idea what we are other than pale. Tongue

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it- not even if I have said it- unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha
26-12-2013, 09:58 AM
Hey! I'm a pale redhead!
Lol
[+] 1 user Likes Colourcraze's post
26-12-2013, 11:31 AM
(26-12-2013 09:57 AM)Ohio Sky Wrote:  For some reason I pictured you as a pale redhead. Not sure why.

I think many people of mixed heritage have experienced what you're feeling. Not much you can do about it other than continue to be you. I don't have much useful input on this though. My mom was adopted and w have non idea what we are other than pale. Tongue

Giggles I was A redhead for most of my childhood. It finally turned black when I was about six. My biological father was convinced my mother's up with a white guy. I unfortunately still have the freckles, without makeup
26-12-2013, 11:36 AM
(26-12-2013 11:31 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  
(26-12-2013 09:57 AM)Ohio Sky Wrote:  For some reason I pictured you as a pale redhead. Not sure why.

Giggles I was A redhead for most of my childhood. It finally turned black when I was about six. My biological father was convinced my mother's up with a white guy. I unfortunately still have the freckles, without makeup

Well I was half right! And freckles are cute. Just ask anyone who doesn't have them.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it- not even if I have said it- unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha
[+] 1 user Likes Ohio Sky's post
26-12-2013, 12:02 PM
(26-12-2013 11:36 AM)Ohio Sky Wrote:  
(26-12-2013 11:31 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  Giggles I was A redhead for most of my childhood. It finally turned black when I was about six. My biological father was convinced my mother's up with a white guy. I unfortunately still have the freckles, without makeup

Well I was half right! And freckles are cute. Just ask anyone who doesn't have them.
They stopping being cute high school, at least on me. Now guys with freckles r hot!