Christmas Family Predicament

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-12-2014, 01:20 PM
RE: Christmas Family Predicament
(25-12-2014 09:47 AM)Gordon Wrote:  ...
In the 1980's, I spent a great deal of time in Saudi Arabia. 20 3-week trips over the course of 8 years. When I walked through the mall or the downtown markets, they knew I was a Christian, because I was American. If they had known I was an atheist (if I had been one), I think I would have been killed, one way or another.

No one's saying convert. But going there to flaunt your disrespect for Allah is going to get you killed--by someone, somewhere. So, I suggest not holding illegal atheist meetings in Indonesia, or wherever you're going. No

Martyrdom... hmmm... maybe some causes are worth dying for.

Odd that you said "knew I was a Christian". In my case, people assume I'm a christian. I've been getting lots of "Happy Christmas"s recently. Usually, they are pleasantly surprised when I say I'm not.

Kinda refreshing.

Meanwhile, back to the OP, the guys who are saying "When in Rome..." have a strong case. But still, you are the custodian of your little cherubs, you can use all the odd christian behaviours and traditions as talking points. Valuable lessons to be had.

Again, good luck.

Thumbsup

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-12-2014, 11:18 PM
(25-12-2014 02:16 AM)Gordon Wrote:  Once you can provide for your family, then I suppose you can dictate what your family believes. Right?

I never would want to dictate what anyone believes. I'm trying to be very careful how to approach this because I understand I could be out on the street if I am not careful. I also understand that my son is very young and I don't want to "dictate" beliefs onto him or indoctrinate him in any which way.

But you also said I don't have the luxury to be an atheist right now so are you saying that for now I should convert or is that just you implying that I should shut my mouth as long as I'm in this difficult financial situation?

I have a feeling like you think that I'm enjoying draining my family's resources or something by your snarky attitude. Would love to hear why you're coming across so harshly towards me. A past or present personal experience maybe?
26-12-2014, 09:27 AM
(24-12-2014 11:25 AM)leesan87 Wrote:  I am a married atheist male with 2 kids (3 and 6mos) & recently moved in with my grandparents for financial reasons after doing great for 3.5yrs on our own out of state. My wife is a nominal Christian who has been very accepting of my newfound atheism (as of Dec 2013.) We both work retail positions and about 3-4 times a week have family watching our kids for free. I am grateful for the many things my family is providing for us and my wife and I are doing our best to show that gratitude.

My family, however, are extremely passionate about their Evangelical Christian faith and believe in the "Great Commission". As of late they have introduced my 3yr old to the concept of prayer before every meal. I feel allowing this is a slippery slope towards indoctrination of my children at a young age which is not something I agreed to before moving back in with my family. I also don't know if my son will understand the concept of atheism at the age of 3 so countering my family's influence will be extremely difficult and at the very least I will be taking away his "fun" holding-hands-at-dinner experience and will seem like the bad guy. This is not the precedent I want to set. My grandfather is the primary encourager of these activities so with him providing shelter for my family I think it would be exceedingly hard to confront him about this as he is a conservative Christian Fox News extremist who is close-minded to any and all opinions contrary to traditional conservate Christianity.

Can anyone provide some advise as to how to confront or at least counter my family's growing influence and indoctrination of my son? Much help is GREATLY appreciated! (My wife would also like to hear from everyone on this site on this subject.) Thanks!

If this could suck any more for you we could put it on a street corner and turn on the red light.

Having problems with your computer? Visit our Free Tech Support thread for help!
26-12-2014, 10:34 AM
It really bothers me that everyone seems okay with the grandparents deciding whats best for the child with no thought or regard to the actual parents opinion.

YOU are the parent, not them. YOU teach your child what you think is right, not them. I myself have a 3 and 1 year old, and I would never stand for someone to directly contradict me in front of them. They are my children and my responsibility to raise.

Also to the people stating: "Their house, their rules", please don't ever have children. They do things that we, as parents, will not agree with. They have no right to dictate how he should think.

Bottom line: if you are uncomfortable with your parents teaching your children to pray, then say something about it. Something along the lines of "Hey, I don't think you should be teaching him to do that. I don't feel he understands what it means, and I don't think he's capable of making an informed decision at his age. Wait until he is older and we can all sit down and let him decide for himself".

Shock And Awe Tactics-- The "application of massive or overwhelming force" to "disarm, incapacitate, or render the enemy impotent with as few casualties to ourselves and to noncombatants as possible"