Christmas Gift

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-12-2014, 12:16 PM
Christmas Gift
Pardon my first post being one asking for help....

So, I'm the only atheist in my family and everyone looks forward to my gifts every year as I make them very personal. I have an aunt that is very Christian (Baptist) and in recent years I've given her religious related gifts. I've always felt like the gift was for her, not for me, but now I'm wondering if I should keep doing this. I don't want to give her anything to promote atheism, though. Any ideas?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-12-2014, 03:03 PM
RE: Christmas Gift
(04-12-2014 12:16 PM)FilmGuy37 Wrote:  Pardon my first post being one asking for help....

So, I'm the only atheist in my family and everyone looks forward to my gifts every year as I make them very personal. I have an aunt that is very Christian (Baptist) and in recent years I've given her religious related gifts. I've always felt like the gift was for her, not for me, but now I'm wondering if I should keep doing this. I don't want to give her anything to promote atheism, though. Any ideas?

If you love your aunt, get her a gift that makes her happy. No harm, no foul.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Chas's post
04-12-2014, 04:08 PM
(04-12-2014 03:03 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(04-12-2014 12:16 PM)FilmGuy37 Wrote:  Pardon my first post being one asking for help....

If you love your aunt, get her a gift that makes her happy. No harm, no foul.

Basically. If it's something you know she likes then I see no problem with it. I mean, just because you're atheist doesn't mean that you have to try to sway your loved ones from religion or anything like that (I know I don't). I think it would be alright to keep giving her religious themed gifts.

[Image: notagain.gif]
04-12-2014, 04:24 PM

I'd go with giving her The god Delusion. Just kidding!

Does she like to entertain? Give her some holiday napkins and table runner (pottery barn is having a sale right now). Does she like to cook? How about something from Williams-Sonoma, like their wooden cooking utensils or some of their hard to find spices and balsamic vinegars and a cookbook (loooove their cookbooks) or an apron from Anthropologie. Coffee drinker - get her a mug from Anthro and some specialty coffees (or a teacup and saucer and specialty teas). Does she like to sew? My new favorite site is sublime stitching - order her some floss and a few patterns and maybe a pair of their pretty scissors.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
04-12-2014, 04:26 PM
When my aunt and uncle got married I made them a Bahá'u'lláh scrap book, they had converted to the Bahá'í faith just before. I didn't even know what that was until they had done this. They loved it and were especially touched that someone in the family took note and accepted their feelings on this in their life.

I like how you say the gift is for her and not for you- that's the best way to give. Make your aunty happy. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
04-12-2014, 04:31 PM

I don't see any problem with giving your aunt religious themed gifts at Christmas. I've been giving my very Christian Aunt sort sort of angel every Christmas for at least 20 years straight.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Popeye's Pappy's post
04-12-2014, 04:57 PM
Thanks, everyone. I'll stick to the usual. Thanks for your help.
04-12-2014, 06:13 PM
The best Christmas gifts are the ones that the person will enjoy. It also shows you gave thought to who they are as a person.

Give in the spirit of giving and enjoying being with friends and family. That is what's important.

And Happy Holidays to you and yours!

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF