Christmas Trees

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-02-2011, 09:19 PM
Christmas Trees
I wanted to put it out there that I own and run a small Christmas Tree farm. We sell retail and do all the fun Christmas stuff. Santa, Ho ho ho, and all that stuff.

Even though I don't believe in the divinity of Jesus, I still love the holiday. Good times, family, fun, booze, and make a little money on the side.

Why are you still reading this line when it is obviously my signature line?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-02-2011, 11:02 PM
RE: Christmas Trees
Why do you hate Christmas?

Kidding. Wink

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
Find all posts by this user
11-02-2011, 12:06 AM
Christmas? The conglomeration of the constant religious festival of winter solstice? Most religions have festivals for visual solar changes. The people who wanted to make money out of it decided Christianity was key, so they decided to call it the birthday of Christ. And then they went ahead and added a bunch of parts that aren't Christian in any way.

I have an issue with Christmas but not due to it's religious standing (since I see no real religious backing behind the day). It's a festival, people are going to party and get together. Nothing spectacularly religious about gift giving. My issue is that while I feel gift giving is a very important societal activity which promotes the habit of giving something of yours back to society. I feel a gift giving day promotes the lack of giving for the remainder of each year. I give people things that can help them when I can afford to, or have them. There is no special day for me.
Giving is a simple part of living in society.

But yeah, I have a family and they celebrate Christmas, so I get up and spend time with everyone. My question to someone really against this holiday. How many people do you think decided to be Christian because they got a shiny new toy on Christmas?

The only people really gaining from this holiday are capitalist corporations.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
11-02-2011, 01:13 AM
I fought my family on christmas for years. But my mom has told me, no matter what, I'm getting gifts. It's not a problem. As I got older, I just learned to enjoy the family togetherness, and definitely the food. I would like to send hugs to whoever invented christmas cookies. I'm still a pain to shop for. I get a lot of gift cards or cash. I suggest that people donate to the International Iguana Fund in my name (love reptiles, they're my favorite charitySmile) But all in all, there is nothing wrong with celebrating christmas. I just forgo the religious aspect.

Something something something Dark Side
Something something something complete
11-02-2011, 01:28 AM
Jesus is just the last of a bunch of man-gods who were born of virgins on Dec. 25. The christians kept the day for themselves by going on sprees in which they destroyed pagan temple, killed the priests and holy men and then gave the pagans a choice of converting to christianity or torture and death.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
11-02-2011, 05:53 AM
Quote:The people who wanted to make money out of it decided Christianity was key, so they decided to call it the birthday of Christ.
More probably they just wanted to party at the same time as the pagans did.
Quote:The only people really gaining from this holiday are capitalist corporations.
And the only people really gaining from the new year's eve are fireworks manufacturers and stores that sell them. And the only people really gaining from the midsummer night are booze corporations.
But other people making money shouldn't take the fun out of holidays.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
11-02-2011, 06:11 AM
I like your point No J. I celebrate Christmas, but like to forgo the religious aspects of it. I enjoy the food, and break from winter.

Why are you still reading this line when it is obviously my signature line?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-02-2011, 06:45 AM

Even though I don't believe in "the Lord" Jesus Christ, I still love Xmas. If it wasn't for xmas, turkey day (thanksgiving) and birthdays then there would be fewer excuses to have family gatherings. I have mixed feelings about the gift giving thing, it's hard on my wallet (doesn't help when you are in your 20s, have a very "average" job, bought a house and trying to save money), getting stuff is nice but only if it is something you really want to need, otherwise it makes me feel like the person just wasted their money because they didn't know what to get you. On the other hand, xmas time has lots of great deals in the stores (what a better time to shop for furniture or a new TV?) and it helps stimulate the economy. Cheers to you FaceOfBoe, I hope your tree farm continues to be successful and bring job to families for years to come. Smile
Quote this message in a reply
11-02-2011, 08:58 AM (This post was last modified: 11-02-2011 09:01 AM by Lilith Pride.)
@Kikko in case my point was lost I was simply saying that there was no reason to be so totally against a festival due to a religious theme. I agree getting together is fine any time just also made my small opinion of gift giving. I try not to sound too pompous with my tongue and cheek view of life.
And I hope everyone on this forum is very happy if anyone asks about where they came up with something. If I ever sound stifling call me out.

And Free Thinker that's the nice thing about not having a date set, my income is actually $0 but I still find times where I can give to the people of my life. It just isn't always going to fall on the same date. I just think the basic idea of repaying society is not apprecieted enough in the US. Outside of Christmas charity most of what people think of for repaying is the IRS.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
11-02-2011, 10:35 AM

I was very happy when I had kids because at that point I put the word out that for next 17 years or so Christmas for us was focused on the kids. Don't buy us presents because you aint getting one from us. For the most part everyone was agreeable to that. My Mother-in-law and us still exchange gifts, but she lives nearby and is a huge presence in our lives so that's cool. We actually try and make her gifts personal too, not just stuff. However even with her the major focus is all her grandkids. My wife and I take the kids out separately to buy token (small) gifts for each of us, but we don't exchange gifts with each other.
Quote this message in a reply