Christmas Trees

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-02-2011, 12:20 PM

RE: Christmas Trees
I hate that it's the time of year for the mass-distribution of movies in which the hard-hearted skeptic finally finds it in their heart to believe in Jesus or dear old Santa Claus thereby producing that "Ah" moment the masses love so much.
Quote this message in a reply
11-02-2011, 05:28 PM
Luckily in most of those movies it's the joy of Christmas they believe all the sudden, and not some ancient religious text. Rarely do the movies actually mention Jesus. And, Santa Claus is an entertaining gimic because many Christians feel that has nothing to do with Christianity, and gets in the way of Jesus's day.

Cause you know, what's the point of suggesting some guy who lives in below zero temperatures and is clearly not the most active man in the world. Managed to convince a hidden race of subhumans to do his bidding, and train a pack of reindeer to run a sled without ground. Obviously this tale is a bit too farfetched. Which is why they teach it as a children's parable and then negate it later on. Kind of like children's bible stories. Which are later foregone so that the children can read the adult versions of them.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-02-2011, 09:50 PM

I think it's the idea that the skeptic is vilified at that time of year more than anything else, really.
12-02-2011, 10:39 AM
My Christmas-feeling was thoroughly murdered by my former employer and my ex-wife.
The former employer thought their product (potato chips:exclamationSmile was so important they could not shut the factory down between Christmas and new-year. I celebrated x-mas for 6 years between a steam boiler and a sewage tank. The last year of my job there, they had to shut down the factory anyway due to the large amount of drunk people on the floor Big Grin
As for my ex... Too materialistic to be fun. Never-ever in my life I will want an item for x-mas anymore. I HATE that Christmas-shopping shit since then!!

I hope my new wife and newborn child can revive my Christmas-feeling. I miss it. Sad

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
12-02-2011, 08:55 PM
There I was, sitting in my "computer programming for beginners" class. We were instructed to write a "if - then" statement: "If *system date* = '12/21', then display 'Today is the shortest day of the year!'."

"Huh," says the professor, "did anybody know that?"
- "Yes," I reply obliviously, "it's common knowledge," which results in a room full of blank stares.
"Well," the teacher smugly (SMUGLY!) responds. "I guess it's not common knowledge after all, huh."
Since it happened to be just before Christmas, I recklessly failed to suppress my urge to add "It's the freaking winter solstice! Everybody knows that! It's why every religion has a major holiday around that time!"
Crickets... crickets...

[Image: 1z6uxd0.jpg]

All that hate's gonna burn you up, kid.
-- It keeps me warm.
13-02-2011, 09:25 PM
(12-02-2011 10:39 AM)The_observer Wrote:  My Christmas-feeling was thoroughly murdered by my former employer and my ex-wife.
The former employer thought their product (potato chips:exclamationSmile was so important they could not shut the factory down between Christmas and new-year. I celebrated x-mas for 6 years between a steam boiler and a sewage tank.

Just FYI, even the Evangelicals can be pretty scroogey about letting people have time off for Christmas. We don't get any extra time off at the holidays and I work for a devout Southern Baptist type. We get Christmas and New Year's Day, but that's it.

And yeah, it freaking sucks.

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
14-02-2011, 10:48 AM

I thought this fit here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkXxkfu8dGs&list=SL
14-02-2011, 11:12 AM (This post was last modified: 14-02-2011 11:42 AM by Observer.)
(13-02-2011 09:25 PM)trillium13 Wrote:  
(12-02-2011 10:39 AM)The_observer Wrote:  My Christmas-feeling was thoroughly murdered by my former employer and my ex-wife.
The former employer thought their product (potato chips:exclamationSmile was so important they could not shut the factory down between Christmas and new-year. I celebrated x-mas for 6 years between a steam boiler and a sewage tank.

Just FYI, even the Evangelicals can be pretty scroogey about letting people have time off for Christmas. We don't get any extra time off at the holidays and I work for a devout Southern Baptist type. We get Christmas and New Year's Day, but that's it.

And yeah, it freaking sucks.
I forgot to tell you... it was night-work.
(14-02-2011 10:48 AM)Dregs Wrote:  I thought this fit here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkXxkfu8dGs&list=SL
It’s so refreshing to see the softer side of big-mouth Penn. I admire his straightforward approach. No religion is no holiday but I don't see why you cant have anything. I think he needs to sit down for a while and think about something he can come up with. Why not just celebrate "the shortest day in the year" for example. Why not do that with some of these beauty’s. Why not have a giant light decorated globe in the living room and read some interesting and moving texts. I think Penn is starting to forget that he is also a human with emotions who need attention and not some robot. If he's going to reject everything that has a slight religious hint to it just fore the sake of being politically correct he will be left with almost nothing.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
15-02-2011, 01:23 AM
Actually, two videos over was this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkADn8m4_...L&index=64

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
15-02-2011, 01:45 PM
(15-02-2011 01:23 AM)No J. Wrote:  Actually, two videos over was this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkADn8m4_...L&index=64
Looks like he knows their is nothing wrong with the Christian community but he has yet to realise it can also work the other way around.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist