Christmas Vacation

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-12-2013, 05:17 PM
Christmas Vacation
I'm atheist (largely in-the-closet) and my husband is Christian. Last night, he started complaining about Sara Palin and one of the many idiotic comments she makes on a regular basis. So I join in and mention her crackpot of a book about the war on Christmas only to find out my husband has bought into this conspiracy - to a certain extent. His stance is that a push for secularism will destroy America's tradition of (the majority of) employers giving their employees days off for the Christmas holiday.

Thinking about it, employers are increasingly staying open for many major holidays. Christmas is not immune to this phenomenon. Do you think there's any possibility, though, of Christmas becoming an ordinary workday? I can't ever see that happening, as Christians would be in an uproar and stay home. Is Christmas vacation protected in any way? I want to be able to reassure my husband that a secular movement will not destroy his traditional vacation time.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-12-2013, 05:51 PM
RE: Christmas Vacation
Hmm interesting. I think since a majority of Americans celebrate the holiday (atheists included), it would still stay a major holiday, with a lot of businesses closing in observance. It's kind of a national holiday for us (not JUST America's though of course!)
06-12-2013, 06:02 PM
A lot of atheists like xmas. No one is going to abolish eating turkey and exchanging presents. Xmas is necessary for the economy, too. The holiday stays.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
06-12-2013, 06:42 PM
(06-12-2013 06:02 PM)Dom Wrote:  A lot of atheists like xmas. No one is going to abolish eating turkey and exchanging presents. Xmas is necessary for the economy, too. The holiday stays.

The nativity scene, star at the top of tree, abstaining from work on a holy day, etc....All that religious crap...that goes right?
06-12-2013, 06:46 PM
I just wish they'd make it the last Monday, or Friday, of the month or something. I'm out of vacation, and sick days, & I think it's on a Wednesday this year! I get that Wednesday and that's it! Dodgy
Or make it a week long thang! Yeah! That's the ticket!

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
06-12-2013, 06:56 PM
As two out of three of those are pagan symbols that were expropriated I don't really care. Not on public land, but otherwise don't care.

As to the not working, not all businesses are closed on Christmas. Last December 25th I went for Chinese food and a movie. It is up to the individual employers. Is it worth it to them to pay their employees more on a day when they will have little business? Many will decide to close or to pay holiday pay and give a day off to save money.
06-12-2013, 10:35 PM (This post was last modified: 06-12-2013 10:38 PM by RobbyPants.)
(06-12-2013 06:02 PM)Dom Wrote:  A lot of atheists like xmas. No one is going to abolish eating turkey and exchanging presents. Xmas is necessary for the economy, too. The holiday stays.

Yup.

(06-12-2013 06:42 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  The nativity scene, star at the top of tree, abstaining from work on a holy day, etc....All that religious crap...that goes right?

The majority of Christmas decorations are of pagan origins. The nativity and angels on the top of the tree are overtly Christian. I can see the star symbolizing the wise men finding Jesus, but stars in and of themselves aren't overtly Christian.

That being said, I could decorate my house with wreaths, a Christmas tree (topped with a bow of ribbon), garlands, and lights, and no one would notice a thing. They would make no assumptions about my religious beliefs (or lack thereof). I could go and visit my family and buy and receive presents. I can do all of these things without a single nod to Jesus.

Just the other day, my wife asked me if this time of year is odd for me with no religion. I told her no, because my family never really focused on the religious aspect of it. Even being raised Lutheran, Christmas to me was mostly about gifts, waffles for breakfast, hanging out with the extended family, and having a huge, Thanksgiving-scale turkey dinner. I don't see any Jesus in there.
07-12-2013, 12:35 AM
(06-12-2013 10:35 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  

Yup.

(06-12-2013 06:42 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  The nativity scene, star at the top of tree, abstaining from work on a holy day, etc....All that religious crap...that goes right?

The majority of Christmas decorations are of pagan origins. The nativity and angels on the top of the tree are overtly Christian. I can see the star symbolizing the wise men finding Jesus, but stars in and of themselves aren't overtly Christian.

That being said, I could decorate my house with wreaths, a Christmas tree (topped with a bow of ribbon), garlands, and lights, and no one would notice a thing. They would make no assumptions about my religious beliefs (or lack thereof). I could go and visit my family and buy and receive presents. I can do all of these things without a single nod to Jesus.

Just the other day, my wife asked me if this time of year is odd for me with no religion. I told her no, because my family never really focused on the religious aspect of it. Even being raised Lutheran, Christmas to me was mostly about gifts, waffles for breakfast, hanging out with the extended family, and having a huge, Thanksgiving-scale turkey dinner. I don't see any Jesus in there.

The OP was asking If the Christmas vacation was protected in anyway. The answer is the more secularized Christmas becomes, the less likely you will be hanging out with extended family as many of them will be working. The reason Christmas and Easter are holidays to begin with is because back when most people in this country were religious, they refused to work to observe those holy days.
07-12-2013, 10:25 PM
(07-12-2013 12:35 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(06-12-2013 10:35 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  Yup.

The OP was asking If the Christmas vacation was protected in anyway. The answer is the more secularized Christmas becomes, the less likely you will be hanging out with extended family as many of them will be working. The reason Christmas and Easter are holidays to begin with is because back when most people in this country were religious, they refused to work to observe those holy days.

You think that because you live in a relatively small town. Go to NYC or any major metropolitan area and then tell me that the entire place shuts down in observance of Christmas. What ethnocentric garbage.

If the OP's husband thinks that all retail places will stay open like they did on thanksgiving, he forgets that the point of Black Friday, is to get deals For C and H, as they are both gift giving holidays. Once the holiday is upon you, there is no more need for retail for that holiday.

However, many Jews work on Christmas. Restaurants are open, grocery stores, transportation and for the most part - The city is as alive as it always is.

Your assumption that a more secularist holiday would mean it's not a holiday that would be observed by banks and the stock market. Which is the indicator of a holiday or not. If banks aren't open and the stock market isn't open, te economy doesn't grow that day in any real measure.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
07-12-2013, 10:31 PM
My work "strongly discourages" taking Xmas time off work. (I was actually denied Thanksgiving off, and told Xmas was probably a no as well) Thankfully for me my family does Yule, and that falls on a Saturday this year. So no worries.