Christmas Vacation

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-12-2013, 10:37 PM
RE: Christmas Vacation
Christmas isn't a religious holiday anymore really, it's cultural. A major part of American culture, for sure. The Stat.'s not going anywhere soon. Your husband can have all the visions of sugar-plums in his sleep on Christmas Eve that he can possible come up with. Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-12-2013, 10:05 AM
Christmas is largely secular as it is. What is Christian about trees, Santa Claus, reindeer, elves and stockings? Gift giving is also enjoyed regardless of religion, even if you might be able to tie it to the Christmas story of the wise men and their gifts.
09-12-2013, 10:19 AM
(06-12-2013 05:17 PM)secularmom Wrote:  I'm atheist (largely in-the-closet) and my husband is Christian. Last night, he started complaining about Sara Palin and one of the many idiotic comments she makes on a regular basis. So I join in and mention her crackpot of a book about the war on Christmas only to find out my husband has bought into this conspiracy - to a certain extent. His stance is that a push for secularism will destroy America's tradition of (the majority of) employers giving their employees days off for the Christmas holiday.

Thinking about it, employers are increasingly staying open for many major holidays. Christmas is not immune to this phenomenon. Do you think there's any possibility, though, of Christmas becoming an ordinary workday? I can't ever see that happening, as Christians would be in an uproar and stay home. Is Christmas vacation protected in any way? I want to be able to reassure my husband that a secular movement will not destroy his traditional vacation time.
Christmas is as much a regular holiday these days as it is a Christian holiday. It's possible that some employers, particularly retail, may eventually decide to stay open for the holiday, but perhaps not likely. Christmas vacation is really winter vacation. It probably coincides with Christmas because people are already off for the holiday anyway. But it's also halfway through the school year and so it fits as an appropriate vacation time anyway. So, it doubt it's at all threatened.

That said, as an aside, it's interesting that all the people complaining about the so-called war on Christmas don't ever stop to think about all the other religions that have holidays that aren't celebrated at all. People are required to go to work on their holiday if their holiday happens to fall on a work day and I don't see any of them writing whiny books about it.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
09-12-2013, 10:36 AM
There is some doubt to whether christmas is actually the birth of Christ anyway.. To attack it from a secular point of view is pointless..

I actually agree with another poster though, make the new year celebrations last for 7 days and let people celebrate whatever festivals they wish between these times.