Christmas and Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-11-2011, 01:18 PM
Christmas and Atheism
So I'm sure the issue has been brought up before but I feel my particular spin on the subject and of course the approaching holiday might just be worth another go around.

First I'd like to ask the question of whether or not you celebrate personally (not just when the family is around) with a tree maybe even a manger scene all set up?

I don't entirely. I cheat. See I like a lot of what Christmas has to offer namely the decorations and the music and the warm cozy feeling that it eminates when not shopping. I even like giving presets and of course since there's no reason to lie... Getting presents is pretty nice too. But I like I'm sure most of you, don't Personally relate to the whole Christ being born thing and not just because in all likelihood it never happened and even the churh has admitted it wouldn't have happened in December. But because I feel resentment against the idea of love by guilt. I for one stand for love for the sake of love. It is so much nicer and lighter. Thereby I have rejected the idea of Christ and nO longer. Celebrate Christmas personally. I celebrate my holiday called Presentree. It is the same minus the guilt. There are rules but that's not what this thread is for.
Part of why I can't comfortably celebrate Christmas as it is, comes from a feeling of hypocrisy associated with celebrating something I don't support at all any other time of the year. Do any Of you who celebrate Christmas as it is feel funny about it at all? Should we even be able to celebrate Christmas? I mean I would honestly feel cheated if we had a FSM day and a whole bunch of Christians started celebrating it. It would rob some of the hidden magic behind the whole thing. I can only imagine what full Christians think when they see outed atheists putting up a tree with a star on it knowing full well those people don't believe in any of it. It's like mocking in a way isn't it? For me since I've done some mental gymnastics with the whole presentree fiasco I have the star on my tree but it stands for multiple things to me. One being it can represent our star and the life it helps provide for us or a symbol of how vast the universe is thereby serving as a reminder to me no to start thinking I'm amazing.

How do you guys get through the holidays? With a smile and a nod or like me with a smile and a wink? Or option 3 wih rage and rejection? Or option 4 with one big lie of agreement? Tell your tale, spill your guts.

I Apologize for all of my spelling and grammatical errors but I am still currently sans laptop and am using my iPod touch. It is sub par in so many categories. Such a chore I literally have to go back and rewrite whole sentences due to the randOm guess auto correct from hell.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
06-11-2011, 01:25 PM
RE: Christmas and Atheism
One word:

Festivus.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Stark Raving's post
06-11-2011, 01:36 PM
Yes a festivus for the rest of us!!!

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
06-11-2011, 01:48 PM
I don't actually do the festivus pole and all that, but I do use festivus as an excuse to have a big dinner, give out some gifts to the kids, and just take part in the "jolliness" of the season. I like xmas because people tend to be happy and festive, so I go with that, and just try to soak up everyones good mood.

Not much different than most of the christians I know. I'm open about my atheism, and very rarely does it make anyone I know shun me for celebrating what I see as a happy time of year. It's also a great reason to treat every day like christmas, because for me, it shouldn't be any different! I much prefer to give gifts and whatnot for no reason other than to be nice. I'm notorious for the "no-reason-at-all-gift".

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
06-11-2011, 03:42 PM
Just another day when nothing much is open... but that's okay, 'coz it's too cold to go anywhere. Fire in the stove, chili in the pot, eggnog at half price on the last shopping day. Sometime during this week, the neighbours come over, or we go there, but neither of us has a tree or any of that red-green-and-gold stuff.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
[+] 1 user Likes Peterkin's post
06-11-2011, 07:14 PM
I usually do the family thing and eat then disappear. It's fun watching the young ones open gifts. Other than that I avoid all Christmas related items, I just have never liked Christmas, atheist or not I still wouldn't like it.
[+] 1 user Likes Atheist#6667's post
06-11-2011, 07:39 PM
I like Xmas for one thing..... Eggnog....

..nuff said.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire
06-11-2011, 08:13 PM (This post was last modified: 06-11-2011 08:17 PM by Hamata k.)
(06-11-2011 07:39 PM)ddrew Wrote:  I like Xmas for one thing..... Eggnog....

..nuff said.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEGGGGGNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO​OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOGGG!!!!! ALL YOUR BASE BELONG TO US!

I mean that there will be no eggnog for anyone to consume because I will drink it all...and all the rum.

Also. I don't think about the whole christmas thing as I consider it to be nothing more than minor details.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
06-11-2011, 08:20 PM
Christmas tradition?

Begins with 50-cent doing "Many Men" and a bottle of vodka... no one's died yet. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
06-11-2011, 10:17 PM
Coming from a non-religious family it's never held any religious significance for me nor for anyone in my family. I see it more as a family-oriented holiday: the weather is hot; the days are long; and everyone's on holiday. So it's a good chance to drink a lot with the people who mean a lot.

As for presents we still do them, even though all us kids are now in our 20s. I see it more as a sign of appreciation of my sisters/parents/grandparents/in-laws than anything else. Sort of a 'thanks for putting up with me for another year' gift.

"Sin, young man, is when you treat people as things" - Granny Weatherwax in Carpe Jugulum by Terry Pratchett.
[+] 3 users Like Mad Prophet's post