Christmas and Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-11-2011, 12:18 PM
RE: Christmas and Atheism
I would have hoped we would have all been aware of the origin of festivus. I would hope so anyways I might be wrong.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-11-2011, 10:19 PM
(07-11-2011 12:09 PM)Ghost Wrote:  Just a quick point out. Those of you who celebrate Festivus are celebrating a fictional holiday. Literally. Jerry Seinfeld and his staff writers invented it...

Just a quick counter point out - the annual celebration of a virgin birth is also a fictional holiday.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Eye Sage's post
07-11-2011, 10:33 PM
Hey, Eye Sage.

Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiironyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy Cool

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
[+] 1 user Likes Ghost's post
08-11-2011, 11:24 PM
Ya know what, Matt? As an evolutionist, I disagree with your "siggy"
Love and empathy are functions of evolution for those in the know...

But this is fucking war! Tongue

Am I the only atheist on this forum? Can't we have some a in our theism? Like, Christmas sets a dangerous paradigm for tolerance? I mean, seeing as how if there was a Christ, he was born in April? And like, if anyone figures into "we celebrate Christmas" without figuring in it's like a fucking eighth of the retail industry's annual take...

Did I say, fuck Christmas? Last I looked, the thread where i explained YHWH like a big dog was just above this one - with zero responses. So take your "Christmas cheer" over there where it fucking belongs. Tongue

November 8th... Oh, my Dawkins... (the my Gwynnies curse ain't enough for this extreme case) Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
08-11-2011, 11:53 PM
Cantor you sound like the presentree ferries haven't sprinkled their good cheer dust on you this year! I will let them know.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
09-11-2011, 12:34 AM
(08-11-2011 11:53 PM)lucradis Wrote:  Cantor you sound like the presentree ferries haven't sprinkled their good cheer dust on you this year! I will let them know.

Not at all. This is Atheism, man. Atheists don't do nothing wrong. Big Grin

I'm pretty sure every post on this topic was me laughing out loud - just cause I live alone, doesn't mean shit ain't funny - that I "loathe Christmas" yet it's still comedy on November 8 - call that evolution of YHWH. Not only is "god is love" still functional mathematics, took a mathematician to add "god is comedy."

Like a Big Dog. Cool

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
09-11-2011, 03:48 PM

Xmas for us means an increased book sale in our online book store. Lots of children's books are ordered from early November on.

We also go to craft sales – I with my wood carvings, Vera with her ceramics. We enjoy craft sales a lot with the other vendors we have known for years – lots of camaraderie, jokes, laughter. We make fun of some of our customers (when their backs are turned) and blush when complimented on our craft.

We get together with our friends across the road (they are atheists too) for dinner and reminisce about raising our kids and brag about our grandchildren. They have family all over the country, just as we do, and we sort of make up for each other.

No tree, no presents, no carols, no little Jesus, only using any excuse we find to celebrate life.
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Zatamon's post
09-11-2011, 04:31 PM
We Soviet kids have always celebrated the New Year instead of Christmas.

The Soviet New Year was pretty much the same thing as your Western Christmas - presents under a decorated spruce (in Russian, we called it just a spruce, not a Christmas tree) brought by a bearded old man (called "Ded Moroz", i.e. Father Frost), just no Jesus stuff out there.

Christmas is a bit complicated here in Latvia as we have two Christmas - the Catholic/Protestant Christmas on Dec 24 and the Orthodox Christmas on Jan 7. As a result, many people still stick to the Soviet tradition of celebrating the New Year.

Just today I found in my house and threw away a CD with Christmas songs. I don't need it. When I have children, we will celebrate the New Year.
[+] 1 user Likes evilflower's post
09-11-2011, 04:44 PM
(06-11-2011 01:18 PM)lucradis Wrote:  I even like giving presents and of course since there's no reason to lie... Getting presents is pretty nice too. ... I celebrate my holiday called Presentree.

That sounds the same as Christmas from my perspective. Just another random holiday to get me to dig into my wallet and stimulate the economy by buying shit my wife and kids think they want until they get them and realize they really didn't need 'em after all. ... I do get new socks and underwear every year, so that's something at least. ... I like Thanksgiving better.

(06-11-2011 11:31 PM)ddrew Wrote:  Allright!!

now that i'm drunk...... let me give another answer...

Bravo! That is the way a drunken rant is supposed to look. Wink

(06-11-2011 08:13 PM)Hamata k Wrote:  I mean that there will be no eggnog for anyone to consume because I will drink it all...and all the rum.

Well at least that answers one age old question.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
09-11-2011, 06:55 PM
Yes Girlyman Presentree is nearly identical to Christmas. I have no shame about it. Theft can be a beautiful thing when done correctly. See I love some of the things associated with the already pilfered holiday currently known as Christmas so I fuckin stole them. Taste of their own medicine really. Plus one of he rules for my holiday is to ignore all previous diets in favor of gluttony. Get fat for presentree because if you don't you aren't doing it right.

[+] 2 users Like lucradis's post