Christmas and Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-11-2011, 03:14 PM
RE: Christmas and Atheism
Dec. 25th is a Sunday -I finally have a good 3 day weekend off -possibly 4 days, if I can talk some other idiot into making a couple of bucks in my place. Dodgy
I'll probably spend it with my Mom and brother who live a couple of hours away. Once there, we will all pile into my brother's giant truck and drive out to our family farm to have a midday meal with my uncles -my Mom's brothers. She loves to cook and they love to eat.
I like the lights and will probably try to coax my Mom & brother out for an evening drive to check out the displays... some houses really get into it and I think it's great.
I like to buy people stuff and give it to them all through the year so by the time that day rolls around, I usually have run out of ideas for that big Xmas gift. I give small, things of meaning or necessity. I don't care all that much about the commercialization of anything and as for the secular vs religious stuff... it's all just another day for me. In fact, aside from driving around looking at lights, everything I wrote above is pretty much what happens when I go there maybe 6 or 7 times a year. Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-11-2011, 03:21 PM
Oh, here we go... now it's a fucking Sunday. Listen, I ain't getting no presents, I ain't got no fucking money, and I don't wanna hear it!

(Of course I'm over here laughing my ass off. Wink )

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
12-11-2011, 03:27 PM

(12-11-2011 03:21 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Oh, here we go... now it's a fucking Sunday. Listen, I ain't getting no presents, I ain't got no fucking money, and I don't wanna hear it!

Will you settle for respect from me, Cantor?

I ain't got no money for presents either, but respect I have for a few deserving crazy prophets!

Take it or leave it! Big Grin
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Zatamon's post
12-11-2011, 03:33 PM
(12-11-2011 03:27 PM)Zatamon Wrote:  
(12-11-2011 03:21 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Oh, here we go... now it's a fucking Sunday. Listen, I ain't getting no presents, I ain't got no fucking money, and I don't wanna hear it!

Will you settle for respect from me, Cantor?

I ain't got no money for presents either, but respect I have for a few deserving crazy prophets!

Take it or leave it! Big Grin

Bah,humbug, I say! Why didn't they leave the pagans alone?Huh
[+] 2 users Like Mr Woof's post
12-11-2011, 03:44 PM
There's a happy memory: snowball fight! Big Grin

12-11-2011, 05:41 PM
(12-11-2011 12:10 PM)lucradis Wrote:  Not to criticize anyone but I find the anti commercialization sentiment in relation to Christmas as sort of funny. If not for the commercialization the only things left are the religious ones. Without commercialization there is no need for Santa or even really a Christmas tree. It would all be nativity scenes and praying. Thanks to our love of greed Christians were forced to steal things from other cultures to make their made up holiday blend better. Make the pill easier to swallow.
I know I know there would still be the good cheer and family junk probably but wouldn't it just feel like thanksgiving? You know with baby Jesus.
I love getting presents. I have no shame in this. Presents are fucking great. I don't care what try are whether home made or store bought. The more thought put into it the better. I love givin presents even more. The joy on someone's face when they get a new toy is fantastic and I'm greedy for it. I'm all for the commercialization of Christmas for that reason and for the reason of its stealing the power that religion wants it to have!
And I would love it if all Christmas was about was family and food... but I guess for those in a religious family, the commercialization does act as a buffer against the religious aspects... Never really thought of it that way before.

But I'm kind of a minimalist and I'd rather not get any presents than receive useless stuff that I don't need. I also find the idea of forced giving to be... well, I don't know what word I want to use, but I think that if people want to give gifts, they should just do that regardless of what day it is. We don't need a special day that makes people feel crappy if they can't afford or think of gifts to give people Undecided

Quote:What I will agree on is that one holiday at a time is plenty. I hate seeing Christmas shit up at stores or people's houses before Halloween has even come and gone. ( might be biased as I love Halloween most of all!! ) the thanksgiving thing isn't a big deal over here in Canada eh as it comes before Halloween instead of after.
Yah, I think that if we had Thanksgiving in November like the U.S. does (that's when they have it, right?), that would act as a buffer against Christmas... but I don't know. Any Americans have a perspective on this? I.e. does Christmas stuff only come out after your Thanksgiving, or is it right after Halloween like in Canada?

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker." - Dr. Van Helsing, Dracula
12-11-2011, 05:49 PM
Yes totally agree with you! I don't believe in forced giving or in the same vain forced receiving! I refuse to make people feel thy need to give anything but you are right that Christmas definitely comes with that pressure.

I hypocritically enough refuse to celebrate valentines day for basically that same reason. Don't tell my wife that I admit to the hypocrisy of my actions Smile I hate that there is this open display of vulgar love by gift that happens. When you are younger it certainly becomes a competition umongst group members. Plus add to the fact that the holiday basically says that you need to give to show your love and on this day feels to me very controlling. I give gifts and love whenever the mood strikes and the mod never strikes when it's the popular thing to do because I'm way to hip an cool. And yet there's presentree that somehow sneaks its ass around the imaginary rules I live by. The bastard.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
12-11-2011, 06:14 PM (This post was last modified: 12-11-2011 06:15 PM by houseofcantor.)
Here's my Christmas tune:

Barking like a Big Dog! If I had family and kids, there would be tree and presents - cause that shit cool as fuck - and ain't got nothing to do with no Jewish zombie. Wink
(12-11-2011 05:49 PM)lucradis Wrote:  I hypocritically enough refuse to celebrate valentines day for basically that same reason.

War has been declared. Big Grin

That's my holiday, right there. Wink

12-11-2011, 06:17 PM
(12-11-2011 05:41 PM)SecularStudent Wrote:  Yah, I think that if we had Thanksgiving in November like the U.S. does (that's when they have it, right?), that would act as a buffer against Christmas... but I don't know. Any Americans have a perspective on this? I.e. does Christmas stuff only come out after your Thanksgiving, or is it right after Halloween like in Canada?

I've been in stores that have had their Christmas shit out since Labor Day -1st Monday in September!! I'm sick of it already... and I actually like all the lights and glass balls and tree decoration shit -I'm a chick; we have that gene. For the most part, many people wait until Thanksgiving to start home decorating... but like I say, a few stores have been going since September -but all put out Xmas shit full on, from Halloween.
I have to stay far away from it ... I have had none in my house for several years, but it's inescapable everywhere else I go.
Rolleyes Just another thing to ignore.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
12-11-2011, 06:19 PM
(06-11-2011 01:18 PM)lucradis Wrote:  So I'm sure the issue has been brought up before but I feel my particular spin on the subject and of course the approaching holiday might just be worth another go around.

First I'd like to ask the question of whether or not you celebrate personally (not just when the family is around) with a tree maybe even a manger scene all set up?

I don't entirely. I cheat. See I like a lot of what Christmas has to offer namely the decorations and the music and the warm cozy feeling that it eminates when not shopping. I even like giving presets and of course since there's no reason to lie... Getting presents is pretty nice too. But I like I'm sure most of you, don't Personally relate to the whole Christ being born thing and not just because in all likelihood it never happened and even the churh has admitted it wouldn't have happened in December. But because I feel resentment against the idea of love by guilt. I for one stand for love for the sake of love. It is so much nicer and lighter. Thereby I have rejected the idea of Christ and nO longer. Celebrate Christmas personally. I celebrate my holiday called Presentree. It is the same minus the guilt. There are rules but that's not what this thread is for.
Part of why I can't comfortably celebrate Christmas as it is, comes from a feeling of hypocrisy associated with celebrating something I don't support at all any other time of the year. Do any Of you who celebrate Christmas as it is feel funny about it at all? Should we even be able to celebrate Christmas? I mean I would honestly feel cheated if we had a FSM day and a whole bunch of Christians started celebrating it. It would rob some of the hidden magic behind the whole thing. I can only imagine what full Christians think when they see outed atheists putting up a tree with a star on it knowing full well those people don't believe in any of it. It's like mocking in a way isn't it? For me since I've done some mental gymnastics with the whole presentree fiasco I have the star on my tree but it stands for multiple things to me. One being it can represent our star and the life it helps provide for us or a symbol of how vast the universe is thereby serving as a reminder to me no to start thinking I'm amazing.

How do you guys get through the holidays? With a smile and a nod or like me with a smile and a wink? Or option 3 wih rage and rejection? Or option 4 with one big lie of agreement? Tell your tale, spill your guts.

I Apologize for all of my spelling and grammatical errors but I am still currently sans laptop and am using my iPod touch. It is sub par in so many categories. Such a chore I literally have to go back and rewrite whole sentences due to the randOm guess auto correct from hell.

How I survive Christmas? Like every Dane: Another occasion to drink a lot of beers! In Denmark we don’t believe in the Easter bunny either, but we still celebrate the coming of the Carlsberg Easter beer (and Christmas beer in November!) like it was the friggin birthday of JCBig Grin

On a serious note: Christmas is an old tradition. I am atheist to my very core, and a lot of the things celebrated in the world have religious origins. But even atheists still “celebrates” them. I don’t care what the original celebration was. Capitalism took over, now we do it for the presents (BAH!)! Now, at least in our family, we enjoy that special occasion, where people try to gather their families and have a pleasant time. I don’t care about the original, fucked up origins of the tradition, I just cherish the good time with my families… and all the beer!
[+] 1 user Likes Jakel's post