Christmas and Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-11-2011, 06:20 PM
RE: Christmas and Atheism
(12-11-2011 06:17 PM)kim Wrote:  
(12-11-2011 05:41 PM)SecularStudent Wrote:  Yah, I think that if we had Thanksgiving in November like the U.S. does (that's when they have it, right?), that would act as a buffer against Christmas... but I don't know. Any Americans have a perspective on this? I.e. does Christmas stuff only come out after your Thanksgiving, or is it right after Halloween like in Canada?

I've been in stores that have had their Christmas shit out since Labor Day -1st Monday in September!! I'm sick of it already... and I actually like all the lights and glass balls and tree decoration shit -I'm a chick; we have that gene.

That ain't gene, that's gender. I'm ellen like that. Wink

And I thought you were a guy... silly me. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-11-2011, 05:08 PM
I enjoy the holiday. I get a tree and have dinner on Christmas Eve. Presents on Christmas morning. It's so much more a secular holiday now that I don't think most people relate the holiday to the birth of Christ. They might think that it does but they don't celebrate it that way. Another thing, Christmas is a Pagan holiday anyway. All of the traditions are borrowed from other sources. Trees, presents, feast, etc. It's all stolen.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
15-11-2011, 07:33 PM
(09-11-2011 08:11 PM)lucradis Wrote:  
(09-11-2011 07:09 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(09-11-2011 06:55 PM)lucradis Wrote:  Yes Girlyman Presentree is nearly identical to Christmas. I have no shame about it. Theft can be a beautiful thing when done correctly. See I love some of the things associated with the already pilfered holiday currently known as Christmas so I fuckin stole them. Taste of their own medicine really. Plus one of he rules for my holiday is to ignore all previous diets in favor of gluttony. Get fat for presentree because if you don't you aren't doing it right.

Ah, I think I can do something with that. I'll make it 7 days long celebrating a different deadly sin on each day. Big Grin

I like that. It's like a mix of Christmas an hanukkah and now presentree too! Hey wait a minute you bastard that last one is mine.

From the thief who stole Christmas. Wink

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
15-11-2011, 07:40 PM
Is that irony I detect? It's like three layers of irony.
Also I don't understand the actual definition of irony.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
15-11-2011, 09:08 PM
Is that the holiday where we get to celebrate the sorta birthday of the all powerful Atheismo!? AKA Issac Newton?

Seems only appropriate to give gifts that will be bound by the laws of gravity.
23-11-2011, 04:07 PM
Know what I just saw at Albertson's? Halo Reach action figures! I know what I'm getting for Christmas. Big Grin

23-11-2011, 04:12 PM
Also on sale at Walmart cantor!! Merry presentree!

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
23-11-2011, 09:51 PM
(23-11-2011 04:12 PM)lucradis Wrote:  Also on sale at Walmart cantor!! Merry presentree!

I'm sure you just saved me some money right there. Good looking out, atheist. Smile

I just stumbled over this tune:

24-11-2011, 12:42 AM
I've got my own bone to pick with Xmas, namely how it lets people cheat me out of birthday gifts (4 days before).

Still, I see it as a family holiday these days, not religious. Though wether the music is secular or religious, I hate all the holiday music, lol. Like, Xmas is for family, New Years Eve is for friends (seems to be opposite in Japan based on every single thing I've ever seen from them that in any way involves the holidays). I'll almost still certainly be forced to go to church though, my step dad is in the choir that's practicing for it. I'll just sit there and twiddle my fingers, or bring a string and do cats cradle. Or hope I get sick and can get out legit.

I should just start celebrating Festivus.

"Ford! There's an infinite number of monkeys outside who want to talk to us about this script for Hamlet they've worked out."
~Arthur Dent, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
[+] 1 user Likes otaku_cj's post
24-11-2011, 01:26 AM
(24-11-2011 12:42 AM)otaku_cj Wrote:  I've got my own bone to pick with Xmas, namely how it lets people cheat me out of birthday gifts (4 days before).

Still, I see it as a family holiday these days, not religious. Though wether the music is secular or religious, I hate all the holiday music, lol. Like, Xmas is for family, New Years Eve is for friends (seems to be opposite in Japan based on every single thing I've ever seen from them that in any way involves the holidays). I'll almost still certainly be forced to go to church though, my step dad is in the choir that's practicing for it. I'll just sit there and twiddle my fingers, or bring a string and do cats cradle. Or hope I get sick and can get out legit.

I should just start celebrating Festivus.

Not the first time I heard that one. That just sux.

But being the grinch in this thread, it seems a lot of peeps mention family; maybe if I had one worth a fuck I wouldn't be such a grinch... Wink