Christmas and Atheism
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-11-2011, 09:55 AM
RE: Christmas and Atheism
Christmas to me is really just about getting together, have a lot of wine & beer and listening to my old aunts about whom has taken the most pills during the year. It's a festivity in my view and I do not attach it to the holy fatality anymore. If I decorate the house it's for the kids so they are not finger pointed at school. I still love the fact of having a Christmas tree in the house, but I only agreed to have a tree if we can burn it in the fireplace when the festivities are done. (If it was just for me I'd burn the damn manger as well). In my family I am a very open atheist, I'd even let people do their prayers as long they don't include me in it. As long they don't expect me to sit around the table, join hands and thanks god for the food that he didn't put on my table.Tongue My rule during those festivities is: do not ask me to thank god for anything, because I darn know that he didn't do shit... my wife and I did through working 8 hours everyday of the week to put that darn turkey on the table.

It is also totally forbidden to use Satan Claus has an alternative old pervert bringing gift on a flying sleigh pulled by reindeer (which I'd love them to replace the turkey on the table). Sliding down the chimney... if at least he would swept it on his way down... but noooo he had to be a magical fat version of red riding hood in winter wonderland. From the very first day my children has been able to understand... we made sure that they understood that Satan Claus use to be real but not in the fashion it is presented today. So we have no photos of my child sitting on Santa laps.

We might go to church for midnight mass... but the only reason I go is for the songs... as a musician I do love christian music even if their lyrics are laughable. But none of my direct family including my wife, and children respect the stand, sit, bend on the knees parade, we do not go in the confessional and we do not eat the Corpus Christi (no really really Jesus was a big whore, giving away his body like that Big Grin) And that is practically the only time we set foot on a church. Some of my tax money goes into nourishing that fat liar called a priest... so I find it quite okay for us to at least see how good our money benefits his fat ass during the whole year.

In short we see it as a good time and family gathering... I respect their beliefs to a certain level, but when the party is at my place they must leave crosses, rosaries and all things religious in the box next to the dirty shoes. Therefore you all guess that the party is not often happening at my place Smile

There was a time when religion ruled the world. It is known as the Dark Ages.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes jakejakelamasabachtani's post
24-11-2011, 12:55 PM
Might I recommend "the atheists guide to Christmas"

I am about halfway through it currently and it has multiple authors who all give their take on atheism and Christmas.

24-11-2011, 01:21 PM
I suppose that's ok. Matter of fact I might add it to my Presentree list. I love reading because it's just great.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like lucradis's post
27-11-2011, 01:36 AM (This post was last modified: 27-11-2011 01:57 AM by unsapien.)
On dec 24th my family would go to my parent's farm and it was good food & drink and laughter and presents for the kids, totally non-religious.

Then on dec 25th i would have to go to visit my wife's side of the family, very catholic, and her mother insists that everything has to be done in her same traditional way every year.

First the whole lot of us (usually about 4 families together) have to go to church, where I am as respectful as I can be, then back at her mother's place (with walls covered with crosses & pictures of jesus and sayings like "god bless this house" etc.) where men and woman suddenly separate into two groups, the men sit and start drinking (I have no trouble with that) and the woman go to get supper ready and do all the work, the men are not expected to do anything. And although the majority speak english, they never do at these get togetherings, so as the only non-filipino I am completely cut-out of any conversation.

Thankfully my brother-in-law shares my love of Scotch, so he will usually hand me a bottle and I find a corner somewhere and sit and drink until my wife tells me it's time to go home, except for picture time where for at least an hour they take millions for pictures, all the woman together, then all the men, then each family, then just the kids... ad nauseam.

Now my parents retired and sold the farm and moved too far for me to visit every year, so I'm stuck with only my wife's family in town. I hate christmas.

Oh and if the TV is on it is usually on a filipino station, where we sometimes get the treat of watching some IDIOTS in the philippines nailing themselves to the cross, or cutting or piercing thier flesh etc. to atone for thier sins! GOD DAM IMBECILES.
[+] 1 user Likes unsapien's post