Christmas and alcohol

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-12-2010, 08:10 AM
Christmas and alcohol
I come from a family where alcohol is usually not touched from 1. December until 30. December. Much unlike the rest of Norwegian society where alcohol is considered a big part of our Christmas traditions.

What are your traditions when it comes to alcohol and Christmas, and how does your traditions compare to the rest of your society?

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-12-2010, 08:36 AM
RE: Christmas and alcohol
I grew up in a house that didn't drink much at all. My dad had a beer or two during the football game, and let my brother and I split one since I can remember. At christmas, there was usually a bottle of wine at dinner, and some drinks after if we had company.
My wifes family, on the other hand, has a couple of drinkers. They get hammered, and it's almost like tradition. My wife and I don't drink at all, so this year should be interesting since we're having christmas dinner at our house!

Just visiting.

-SR
15-12-2010, 10:16 AM

Two of my brothers are recovering alcoholics, so alcohol plays no role in our communal celebration. It plays the occasional one in my private celebration, however. Wink
Quote this message in a reply
15-12-2010, 11:37 AM
My wife is an alcoholic too (sober for 15 months!) so I can't wait to see what the "drinkers" do when they're at our house.

Just visiting.

-SR
15-12-2010, 04:53 PM
My wife is a recovering alcoholic too, and for the past 20+ years. So, I stay away from things that will be a big problem for her (like wine) and take one for the team by sticking with beers and really expensive vodkas. I know, I know, but I'm just that kind of guy, one who sacrifices and gives and gives.

Anyway, funny this came up. There is a restaurant near where I live that always has great microbrews. They have such a great selection that I bought a growler from them shortly after I moved here so I could to "take home". Today, a friend of mine told me they had just for today tapped 2 kegs of Russian Rivers "Pliny the Elder", rated the #2 tasting beer in the word by .... some magazine that rates these things. So, I rescheduled a call, ran out, filled the growler, and came back and got back to work. I'm a pint into it and, let me tell you, it's AWESOME!!!

My wife's sister and family will be with us some over the holidays and I'll fill a few growlers with my brother-in-law, maybe light the fire pit outside so we can sit outside in 20F weather and enjoy life.

These heavy beers are really, really bad for me but I give it all up and start training for the next cycling season in January so I may as well enjoy the down time while I can.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
15-12-2010, 10:26 PM
Where I'm from we boil alcohol - wine and spirits.
We add all kinds of herbs and spices.
I don't know if anyone else does that.
16-12-2010, 11:52 AM
Well, we don't celebrate Christmas because we're Jewish. However, we do celebrate the new year eve (the secular among us....) which sums up with lots of alcohol and a kiss on 00:00. Unfortunetaly, this year I am in my base and alcohol and kisses are strictly forbbiden.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-12-2010, 01:10 PM
(15-12-2010 11:37 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  My wife is an alcoholic too (sober for 15 months!) so I can't wait to see what the "drinkers" do when they're at our house.

Why not just put a ban on it this year? It's your house!

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you
16-12-2010, 04:17 PM
Oh we don't allow drinking in our home. I'm just curious to see what they'll do with themselves when they know they can't blame the booze the next day. In fact if someone brings alcohol, I tell them they will have to leave it in their car. (My wife is ok being around it, but on the off chance it makes her uncomfortable, I forbid it in my home. Like you said; my house, my rules)

Just visiting.

-SR
16-12-2010, 09:52 PM
I cannot see why anyone would change their drinking habits over the Chrismyth period.
If drinking is a problem for you, it should be a 365 day event.