Christmas and the workplace.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-12-2011, 11:58 AM
Christmas and the workplace.
So I have recently decided to join the out campaign using my place of work as a testing zone if you will. I, in a round about way, made it apparent that I do not believe in a god. I planted this seed about 3 months ago and then let gossip take it's course. It literally took 2 months for 2 single people to inform roughly 50 out of 100 people.

I for some reason now have the revered title of "Ryan the Atheist" whence ever my name is mentioned in a conversation. ( A title I do not approve of; although I am an atheist, I don't use titles for things I am a not, rather than things I am.)

Now, Christmas has rolled around and I am getting annoying, almost provocative, conversation starters about the music that is playing. (Currently 1/2 of the Christmas music that plays mentions Jesus and god.) I am asked things in the manner of " Are you not going to complain to the manager about this music?" "Doesn't it bother you?" Etc...

I personally don't give a shit, the music sounds good. But this has prompted me to think about it, I want to know who else has holiday music at their place of work that is filled with Jesus and where you live. Just want to know if anyone else has this very minute religious oppressive music forced on them at work.

Grocery store, Tennessee, Bible belt here.

"We Humans are capable of greatness." -Carl Sagan
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes NotSoVacuous's post
02-12-2011, 12:55 PM
RE: Christmas and the workplace.
Sometimes people play stuff at their desks or in their cubicle areas around here. Also the building has some muzak system that switches things up, and I'm pretty sure it'll play some Christmas tunes around the holidays. I don't really care one way or another unless it sounds terrible or is straight up worship music played loudly enough to be bothersome. I don't see anyone here being that inconsiderate, and I know there are some devout Christians that work here.

I've only told one person here that I'm an atheist. Since he is a deist of sorts and not a theist I don't think he really cares. He's also a friend, so I don't think he'd really be talking about me like that to others unless it was somehow relevant to the conversation.

Personally I don't see that it could affect me around the office, other than I spend too much time on these boards. Confused Angel
[+] 1 user Likes kineo's post
02-12-2011, 01:38 PM
I don't sell cars anymore but there is constant Xmas music on during December there. It never really bothered me. I like this time of year. My current job at a private college has a very conservative Christian director. There are little porcelain angels, mangers, and nativities all over the office now.

***Shrugs*** Whatev

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
02-12-2011, 01:42 PM
(02-12-2011 01:38 PM)germanyt Wrote:  I don't sell cars anymore but there is constant Xmas music on during December there. It never really bothered me. I like this time of year. My current job at a private college has a very conservative Christian director. There are little porcelain angels, mangers, and nativities all over the office now.

***Shrugs*** Whatev

Liar.

Don't let him fool you. He's got a cross around his neck, and his office is decorated with "Jesus is LORD" pictures. He's the one with a tiny nativity scene on his desk.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
02-12-2011, 02:03 PM
(02-12-2011 01:42 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(02-12-2011 01:38 PM)germanyt Wrote:  I don't sell cars anymore but there is constant Xmas music on during December there. It never really bothered me. I like this time of year. My current job at a private college has a very conservative Christian director. There are little porcelain angels, mangers, and nativities all over the office now.

***Shrugs*** Whatev

Liar.

Don't let him fool you. He's got a cross around his neck, and his office is decorated with "Jesus is LORD" pictures. He's the one with a tiny nativity scene on his desk.

Should have know better than to try and hide it when someone I work with is also on this forum.

<<<<--------internet closet theist

Got an idea. $20 if you steal the figurines from the lobby, plant them in Switzer's office, and yank her wig off.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 2 users Like germanyt's post
02-12-2011, 02:11 PM
(02-12-2011 02:03 PM)germanyt Wrote:  
(02-12-2011 01:42 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  

***Shrugs*** Whatev

Liar.

Should have know better than to try and hide it when someone I work with is also on this forum.

<<<<--------internet closet theist

Got an idea. $20 if you steal the figurines from the lobby, plant them in Switzer's office, and yank her wig off.

Dude, you just literally made me laugh out loud.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post
02-12-2011, 08:54 PM
My thread is seeming to be derailed. I also think I need to elaborate my question further.

I am not asking do you enjoy the Christmas music or not in general. I am asking how religious is your Christmas music and do you give a shit or not.

As I said before, it's whatever to me. But some of this stuff is some serious deep shit "Christ is the Lord, he hath risen again la la la whatever" This is played roughly 50% of the time while songs such as Jingle bell rock is played the remainder of the time.

"We Humans are capable of greatness." -Carl Sagan
[+] 1 user Likes NotSoVacuous's post
03-12-2011, 03:29 AM
(02-12-2011 08:54 PM)NotSoVacuous Wrote:  As I said before, it's whatever to me. But some of this stuff is some serious deep shit "Christ is the Lord, he hath risen again la la la whatever" This is played roughly 50% of the time while songs such as Jingle bell rock is played the remainder of the time.

Jingle Bell Rock ... if I hear that another thousand times in the coming week... like I did last week, I'll fuckin' scream. And I actually don't mind that one.

When I used to work in cube world, I was on the phone with clients a lot so if I had music, it was ipod & earbuds. I currently work alone... but when I'm in stores, it's all over the muzak. I try to shop quickly from Halloween to January 1st.
There are a few stores that are very christ-y -Dollar General and Hobby Lobby for instance, and quite a bit of the home grown shops are somewhat religious. Also there are several christian radio stations around here that keep cutting into the only NPR station ... they're bent on sucking the very life out of everyone within earshot.

Unfortunately, you may just have to endure it... it's only another 4 weeks. Just stay cool, fein deafness or ignorance, and fuck em. They are just trying to push the buttons to watch Ryan the Atheist's head spin around. It's their game and they are trying to get you to be the ball... don't be.

Idea At this time of year, this might be helpful: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apatheism
I don't know, and I don't care can be a positive attitude.

Eventually, they will lose interest in Ryan the Atheist, mainly because they will finally figure out that he's just Ryan.

I'm in Kansas.
I live 50 miles from Fredgod hates fagsPhelps and his inbred bunch.
4 weeks.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
03-12-2011, 06:39 PM
(02-12-2011 08:54 PM)NotSoVacuous Wrote:  My thread is seeming to be derailed. I also think I need to elaborate my question further.

I am not asking do you enjoy the Christmas music or not in general. I am asking how religious is your Christmas music and do you give a shit or not.

As I said before, it's whatever to me. But some of this stuff is some serious deep shit "Christ is the Lord, he hath risen again la la la whatever" This is played roughly 50% of the time while songs such as Jingle bell rock is played the remainder of the time.

It is not only annoying by virtue of the lyrics and monotony, Christianity never supported insane consumerism, so there is also that strong element of greed and hypocrisy at the secular level.
04-12-2011, 07:57 AM
(02-12-2011 08:54 PM)NotSoVacuous Wrote:  My thread is seeming to be derailed. I also think I need to elaborate my question further.

I don't mind the mythology and those who believe in it. I also don't mind it being forced upon me. I also don't mind the secular Christmas Creep and the importance of the seasonal gift-giving to the U.S. economy making at
least 40 percent of its annual revenue in the fourth quarter
culminating at Christmas which is forced upon me.

I grew up in a Christian household and the music both spiritual and secular weaves ribbons of memories which sweeten the memories of my youth and family. But there is a difference between Christmas as a celebration for the birth of a savior, or as a time for family, or as a time for consumerism. It is all three and that is okay, just subscribe to one and stick to it.

I have a problem with self proclaimed Christians having difficulty discerning the difference between sacred and secular. After all, we/they are in the Advent season and this is a time for watching and waiting.