Christmas is dead

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-12-2013, 06:51 AM
Christmas is dead
Maybe it's being a grown-up or maybe it's because I'm an atheist now or maybe it's just because certain people aren't here this year but the magic of Christmas is kind of dead. It seems like as a kid the moment Thanksgiving ended the wait began, yes we all hated the stupid Christmas sweaters that mom made us wear. And of course I got tired of certain people obsessing over videogames. Now just feels like one Big charade. Like magic isn't magic anymore and I don't really mean that insomuch as a Christianity sense, sorry I'm rambling I'm just not sure how to put it. Does anyone else get that feeling, like "magic" is gone.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-12-2013, 06:57 AM
RE: Christmas is dead
As soon as I knew there wasn't a santa the magic was gone. After that, it was all about presents which as you get older wanes as well. Its all about the kids now. I don't expect magic since I know there isn't any such thing. I do find enjoyment in time with my family but it is no big deal.
Find all posts by this user
10-12-2013, 07:13 AM
I have young children. Christmas is awesome.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 8 users Like Hafnof's post
10-12-2013, 07:50 AM
I always hated christmas, it was just an excuse to get everyone upset if everything wasn't right. Opulent meals, christmas mass and a lot of shenanigans that didn't have any use. And the gifts were almost always disappointing, my parents are terrible with gifts, who gives an 8 years old an alarm clock for his birthday!?

anyway, I succeeded and now we only have a simple meal and a lot of alcohol and sweets, it's far more magical to spend a nice evening with family than a forced holiday.

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
10-12-2013, 08:31 AM
Don't make me give you that "Spirit of Christmas lives in your heart" speech. Shocking Common - christmas is as special or fun or as joyful as YOU make it.

take a walk in a mall for decorations and little kids waiting in line to see santa - or watch
[Image: MV5BMTI1NzY1NjkyMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjYx...SX214_.jpg]
or It's a Wonderful Life and get in the Mood............... *shakes finger at you*

yanno.............
or not.

Nothing wrong with some Baa-HumBug either.

The pic I tried to place here was "A Christmas Story" - funny and good ol fashioned xmas stuff

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
10-12-2013, 08:37 AM
I don't have kids, and Christmas was DOA before I was born. I don't think kids are the ultimate solution to that. *eyes*

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 2 users Like cheapthrillseaker's post
10-12-2013, 08:48 AM
I never really liked Christmas the way other kids seemed to. It "died" for me before I turned 10.

I always felt a stronger connection to Halloween because of the respecting/honoring the dead aspect. I actually used to give out my yearly presents for Halloween instead of Christmas. Because I'm weird like that. ^_^

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
10-12-2013, 08:59 AM
(10-12-2013 08:48 AM)Cephalotus Wrote:  I never really liked Christmas the way other kids seemed to. It "died" for me before I turned 10.

I always felt a stronger connection to Halloween because of the respecting/honoring the dead aspect. I actually used to give out my yearly presents for Halloween instead of Christmas. Because I'm weird like that. ^_^

I am NOT going to touch that. I shall let you live.
BUWAAAhaaaahaaaaa

oxox

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
10-12-2013, 09:23 AM
The more stores and the media try to shove it down my throat, the less I like it.

"Here, honey, I bought you this new Volkswagon."
"But the lady down the street got a ~*Buick*~!! Waaaaaa"

Seriously? Way to teach greed!

I want to throttle the Little Drummer Boy. And any singer who tries to "put their personal touch" on a standard carol.

But I do get a great dinner at the in-laws, and good company for the evening. It's just the 3+ months leading up to it that suck.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 1 user Likes Thinkerbelle's post
10-12-2013, 09:32 AM
(10-12-2013 08:31 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  …….. christmas is as special or fun or as joyful as YOU make it.

attitude is everything.

I wish we lived near snow for Christmas, kind of hard to get in the 'dashing thru the snow' spirit when its pouring down rain for the last week.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller