Christmas is dead

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-12-2013, 09:37 AM
RE: Christmas is dead
oh, one thing that I can't stand is the claymation xmas specials. I just don't like them but it may have started with my dislike for the davey and goliath claymation show that was the only thing on tv on Sunday mornings. I hated that show. As I grew a little older I found out that cheesy kung fu and godzilla movies could be found on another channel and I was hooked.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-12-2013, 10:13 AM
(10-12-2013 06:51 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  Does anyone else get that feeling, like "magic" is gone.

No, but half of that is because of this:

(10-12-2013 07:13 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  I have young children. Christmas is awesome.

I have two young girls who are very happy about Christmas. Also, my wife really likes decorating the house, and we make a crap-ton of cookies. Mix that in with several family dinners, get-togethers, and cousins from out of town, and I have plenty of "magic" around Christmas.

Now, I will be honest and say that it's more about this time of year than Christmas itself. I like New Year's Eve and Day just as much for the above-listed reasons.
10-12-2013, 10:16 AM
(10-12-2013 10:13 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(10-12-2013 06:51 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  Does anyone else get that feeling, like "magic" is gone.

No, but half of that is because of this:

(10-12-2013 07:13 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  I have young children. Christmas is awesome.

I have two young girls who are very happy about Christmas. Also, my wife really likes decorating the house, and we make a crap-ton of cookies. Mix that in with several family dinners, get-togethers, and cousins from out of town, and I have plenty of "magic" around Christmas.

Now, I will be honest and say that it's more about this time of year than Christmas itself. I like New Year's Eve and Day just as much for the above-listed reasons.

Your house sounds like my house lol. In fact, today is the Official Let-The-Cookies begin!
(half happy and half Groan for the whole matter)

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
10-12-2013, 10:48 AM
Yes, christmas here is becoming rather humdrum here. Everyone seems to think it just happens...

Like there's a fairy who just does everything...

Oh ya, that's right..it's mom.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
10-12-2013, 10:56 AM
I found after I graduated from grade 12 Christmas just lost it's meaning at least for the lead up to. Nothing to look forwards too any more.

Now its just SSDD until the 23rd, 24th, and 25th, when my family gets together and we all have a great time (Even if there is ALOT of family drama lately).

Really Christmas to me is just spending time with my relatives I really don't get to see much, and enjoy the fun times we have together for the short 3 days we celebrate together.
10-12-2013, 11:33 AM
I wasn't brought up in a religious household at all so Christmas didn't have much to do with Christ for me. Christmas to me is more about the winter solstice. I go out and cut some small branches from our pine and fir trees and make a wreath and other decorations out of them. I bring in pine cones and make decorations out of them too. It's something green in the house. For those of you who might not know, ancient peoples in the northern areas of the world were mystified by the trees that lost their leaves and believed they had died during the winter. The only thing that seemed to be living were the evergreens so they brought them into the house during the winter solstice. Sounds like something nice to do so that's what we do in our house.

I think winter would be pretty dark and dull without some sort of celebration.

Shakespeare Insult 13 – Henry IV Part 1
“That trunk of humours, that bolting-hutch of beastliness, that swollen parcel of dropsies, that huge bombard of sack, that stuffed cloak-bag of guts, that reverend vice, that grey Iniquity, that father ruffian, that vanity in years?”
10-12-2013, 11:48 AM
Christmas is tin foil that I could stare at for days. It hits me about a week prior and stays until exactly one day after.

I respond to lots of different stimuli but shinny and glittery shit is pretty fucking awesome in my estimation.

Magic is about contrasts - hot/cold, dark/light, sound/silence, frenzy/low-key...

If the "magic" is something one is looking for... well then, do like the christees do: make that shit up! Thumbsup

Magic Tips:

Scrape together some finger foods and a thermos of hot coco, pile into the family truckster and drive around in the dark and look at christmas lights. Drive through the wealthier neighborhoods as well as the shittier areas and even the parks or city decorated areas and vote on best /worst/ most saturated / most pathetic attempt/ most ridiculously religious / most devoid of religion yet bright and tasteful (a tough category).

If snow is available, force everyone under the age of 13 outside to be in it. They will figure it out. Once inside, they will be freezing and need warmth and hot coco. Roasting marshmallows over the stove top is a skill which must be learned and a treat only performed at this time of year with a responsible person present. Once full of sugar and chocolate amphetamines, it's time for board games! Trivial pursuit is good for later but for the young ones to remain interested, work in a swell game of twister or even shoots and ladders. A photo op, if there ever was one.

Baileys or Kahlúa will help retain the magic in the coco for each and every adult.

As I said, make shit up... magic is about contrasts. People who think they don't want to be together, often find they really do like being together... for just a bit of magic.

Make your own magic. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
10-12-2013, 01:24 PM
(10-12-2013 10:48 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Yes, christmas here is becoming rather humdrum here. Everyone seems to think it just happens...

Like there's a fairy who just does everything...

Oh ya, that's right..it's mom.

I never really appreciated as a kid just how when everything magically happened around Christmas it was my mum making sure everything was special. They'll appreciate you for it....eventually Smile

I absolutely love Christmas. Apart from my faith, I think I'm only really appreciating the 'magic' now as an adult. When I was a kid, I loved it for the food and the presents. Then as I got older, for a few years December would be so full of carolling engagements and church events to go to that Christmas would almost become a chore. Glad I've found the balance now, and having a bunch of nieces and nephews means that part of the magic for me is making it magic for them.
10-12-2013, 01:56 PM
I started hating Christmas the moment they started taking Halloween stuff off the shelves before Halloween to put up Christmas stuff. It's really diffict to buy all of your home decor when they only sell it two weeks out of the year. Sad

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it- not even if I have said it- unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha
[+] 1 user Likes Ohio Sky's post
11-12-2013, 02:58 AM
No, christmas can't be dead, atheists are waging a war on it.
Checkmate, atheists!

Or did you mean it in a more Nietsche-like way?

I just think it's annoying that it's being forced to Europeans now too. 20 years ago no one did american christmas, there were already local variations (pre-dating Coca Cola man).
But now it is assumed that we all do, pressured by the market.

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.