Christmas meal prayer time...oh what fun!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-12-2011, 06:08 PM
Christmas meal prayer time...oh what fun!
So my wife and I (kids too)pack all the food over to my grandmother's very small apartment. All starving we get ready to dig in and my grandmother says, "someone say grace." Well we all look to our feet and I just stare at my boots waiting for the annoyance to be over. I notice my 10 yr old son, on my right, looking around. I look at him and he is smiling at me. Trying not to laugh back at him, I gave him that - you are gonna die if you say anything look. On my left I glanced at my 14 yr old son and he too was smiling at me. I just did that silent "shhhhh" look toward him. Curious how my wife and 15 yr old daughter were doing over at my far right. Yup same thing, rolling of eyes from my daughter in her normal defiant way. My wife was just looking down with a smile on her face.

I could barely keep from busting out when my mom finally said amen and my 10 yr old yelled it out too.

On my way home we discussed it and I had a small but proud moment that I wasn't alone on this very annoying situation. It made me wonder how and what happened for you guys during this awkward moment.

Idiot: : a foolish or stupid person
— idiot adjective
See Republican Candidates.

Keeping realism alive, one honest offensive comment at a time!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Clint Barnett's post
25-12-2011, 06:15 PM
RE: Christmas meal prayer time...oh what fun!
My family are Christians but not Christian enough to bother with things like that so I didn't have to worry about it today. When I've been in such situations before I just sit there and let everyone get on with it. I don't join in in any way but I don't try and stop other people either, if they wanna be so stupid as to sign up for that crap then that's their problem.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Hughsie's post
25-12-2011, 06:24 PM
I don't come across that situation a lot... pretty much not at all BUT I am sure I would handle it just like similar situations.
For example in a church -> stand in the back quietly and wait until it's over.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
[+] 1 user Likes Leela's post
25-12-2011, 06:27 PM
Yeah, the last time when that happened, some family friends had a wake, but luckily no priest to spoil the mood. However, my mother comes to me: "Somebody needs to say grace and everybody will expect you to do it."
Me: "Nope. Not gonna happen."
Mom: "Why?!?"
Me: "Because they want somebody to pray with them. All I can do for them, if I can still remember the words, which I doubt, is to recite a religious poem that will make me twitch and giggle inside. Unless you're willing to dress like Santa again, I think I'm too old for this kind of display."
Mom: "At least start it. Everybody will follow your lead and all will be fine."
Me: "Fine."

Me: Our father... ... ... (awkward silence)
Mom: (In an angry voice) "in heaven, hallowed be thy name bla bla bla"

For some reason she never asked me again.

Oh, no Hallucinations 4:11 says the 'gilded sheep should be stewed in rat blood' but Morons 5:16 contradicts it. (Chas)

I would never shake a baby unless the recipe requires it.
[+] 3 users Like Malleus's post
25-12-2011, 06:50 PM
I consider it akin to a Christmas Miracle that Reverend Erxomai never gets asked to say a word of blessing upon the bounty at these sorts of soirees.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
25-12-2011, 06:53 PM
I was waiting for this similar thing tonight, but this year my mom made it a buffet style to save on space and this caused some people to dig in before grace so grace got overlooked. I think she'll complain to me later.
[+] 2 users Like LadyJane's post
25-12-2011, 07:19 PM
Welp... got through the family dinner... what a doozie too..

Shit let's see... Myself, my son, my son's mother, her mother, her grandmother, her younger brother, her older brother with his wife, and 4 year old daughter, and 3mo old daughter... my son's younger brother, and the father of that younger brother.. and my son's mother's new love girlfriend... whew.. okay..

So dinner gets around.. kids plates are gettin filled and handled .. everything is in chaos as everyone is plowing through the kitchen grabbing food items to fill their plates and returning to either the couch or kitchen table or some chair in the corner somewhere near the fire... and so on.. then the Grandmother finally grabs her plate she calls for quiet for a brief moment... (people at this point including the kids are all ready eating) .. she calls for Grace and the kids pretty much ignore it and continue.. half the adults mutter "grace" with mouths full of food... and I'm just sitting back with a smirk on my face watching poor old grandmother's look of confusion.

That's about it.. by the way the food was good.. I'm stuffed... was a tornado of wrapping paper being torn off of presents this morning and so on...

FINALLY ... the day is over..... *sigh*

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire
[+] 3 users Like ddrew's post
25-12-2011, 10:09 PM
(25-12-2011 07:19 PM)ddrew Wrote:  Welp... got through the family dinner... what a doozie too..

Shit let's see... Myself, my son, my son's mother, her mother, her grandmother, her younger brother, her older brother with his wife, and 4 year old daughter, and 3mo old daughter... my son's younger brother, and the father of that younger brother.. and my son's mother's new love girlfriend... whew.. okay..

So dinner gets around.. kids plates are gettin filled and handled .. everything is in chaos as everyone is plowing through the kitchen grabbing food items to fill their plates and returning to either the couch or kitchen table or some chair in the corner somewhere near the fire... and so on.. then the Grandmother finally grabs her plate she calls for quiet for a brief moment... (people at this point including the kids are all ready eating) .. she calls for Grace and the kids pretty much ignore it and continue.. half the adults mutter "grace" with mouths full of food... and I'm just sitting back with a smirk on my face watching poor old grandmother's look of confusion.

That's about it.. by the way the food was good.. I'm stuffed... was a tornado of wrapping paper being torn off of presents this morning and so on...

FINALLY ... the day is over..... *sigh*

Glad you survived it with only a few scratches. Cheers, Dude!

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
25-12-2011, 11:06 PM
Last night: Dinner at my moms, with step dad, brother, daughter, two aunts, one uncle, grandpa, plus me and my wife.
Only theist in the house was grandpa, but since senility hit him, he's forgotten religion, along with all of us. But he did yodel for a few minutes, had many laughs (was really great to see him so happy) and even told us all that we were a very lovely family, and even though he didn't know us, he sure was glad we brought him over by mistake!

Tonight (just got home) : Dinner at my dads, with step mom, brother, daughter, two step sisters, and step bro, plus me and my wife.
I think my step mom has some kind of "feeling" that there's a type of higher power, but no real belief, especially in religion. The rest of us are all heathens. The only mention of religion is when my step sister was telling us about one of her students asking to be excused because she was teaching about evolution (she's a high school science teacher). We all had a good laugh when she told the kid, "you can leave my class any time you wish. So can anyone else. Just don't expect to pass if you don't know the answers on the test!" With that, we stuffed ourselves with roast baby, and home made cranberry sauce.

Tomorrow: My wifes side of the family (Not sure who will be there, but for sure the family from New Orleans, and all the locals. Always a big dinner at around 20-25 people)
Never heard a prayer uttered in that house, though I do know at least a couple aunts are religous, and most of the rest are christian to some degree. It's a "no conflict" type of family, so no talking religion, politics, or anything else that would risk spaking a discussion that may be interesting enough to keep me from falling asleep.

To sum up: A very merry non-christmas!

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 3 users Like Stark Raving's post
25-12-2011, 11:22 PM
Awesome news from everyone. That prayer was the only mention of any sort of religion. I was very happy for that.

Idiot: : a foolish or stupid person
— idiot adjective
See Republican Candidates.

Keeping realism alive, one honest offensive comment at a time!