Christmas meal prayer time...oh what fun!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-12-2011, 12:32 PM
RE: Christmas meal prayer time...oh what fun!
I'm the lone atheist in my family so I usually just go along with prayers (it's not just Christmas for me, it's every night). A couple nights ago, though, I started eating before prayers and my dad told me to stop. After prayers I took a bite and said, "You're right, holy food tastes so much better."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Ben's post
26-12-2011, 12:35 PM
(26-12-2011 12:32 PM)Ben Wrote:  I'm the lone atheist in my family so I usually just go along with prayers (it's not just Christmas for me, it's every night). A couple nights ago, though, I started eating before prayers and my dad told me to stop. After prayers I took a bite and said, "You're right, holy food tastes so much better."

If I am a guest then good manners dictate that I silently go along with the host/hostess saying grace. If I'm asked to lead it, I politely decline.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-12-2011, 10:41 PM
I'm pretty immune to the meal prayer, since my father is a devote Christian who demanded we listened to his prayers before we ate, anything basically. He even made us give grace for a hotdog at a stand for crying out loud
In fact, last summer I went to a dessert restaurant with my family and he made us give grace for our sundaes Undecided

So really, at this point, I just stay quite and let him do his things during the holidays. Unless I'm being forced to say a prayer, I don't really care. As a kid, he tried to force me to do so, but he gave up that battle a long time ago
(26-12-2011 12:35 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(26-12-2011 12:32 PM)Ben Wrote:  I'm the lone atheist in my family so I usually just go along with prayers (it's not just Christmas for me, it's every night). A couple nights ago, though, I started eating before prayers and my dad told me to stop. After prayers I took a bite and said, "You're right, holy food tastes so much better."

If I am a guest then good manners dictate that I silently go along with the host/hostess saying grace. If I'm asked to lead it, I politely decline.

Yep, I feel the same way. Your home, your rules

"it is a principle innate and co-natural to every man to have an insatiable inclination to the truth, and to seek for it as for hid treasure..."
-Thomas Aikenhead
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Mia's post