Christopher Hitchens

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-11-2017, 03:45 PM
RE: Christopher Hitchens
(14-11-2017 12:15 AM)glisan900 Wrote:  I have been a closeted atheist (I dislike the word) for many years and recently discovered UTube and the wealth of information on the likes of Harris, Dawkins, Carlin, Andrews and others but most especially Hitchens. In my opinion, he was the greatest thorn in the side of theism of any sort and am glad to see that others are stepping up to the continuing challenge we face in a world that seems to be drifting further from knowledge and reason.

Series of four lectures by Terry Eagleton, in part responding to C. Hitchens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mdt0GBQu6SY
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-11-2017, 04:33 PM
Your website sounds intriguing. I have a couple of things that might start some conversations. First "for Christ's sake don't think, if you do, you will have to forsake Christ!" and second - how does one get from "believing" to "knowing"?
[+] 2 users Like glisan900's post
14-11-2017, 05:39 PM
G'day mate, and welcome to the forums. Smile

(This is intended as an introductory thread for new members, rather than as a debating thread. You may wish to start another specific thread if you want to discuss Hitchens et al.)

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
14-11-2017, 06:02 PM
Welcome!

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 1 user Likes Fatbaldhobbit's post
14-11-2017, 06:10 PM
(14-11-2017 04:33 PM)glisan900 Wrote:  how does one get from "believing" to "knowing"?

One doesn't, but may believe otherwise Tongue

Welcome to TTA Shy

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
14-11-2017, 06:50 PM
Welcome, Glisan!

If you haven't already read it, pick up a copy of Arguably by Hitchens. It's a remarkable collection of book reviews and essays that goes far beyond religion. His writings on the politics and culture of the Middle East are particularly interesting.

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Astreja's post
14-11-2017, 07:04 PM
I'm a fan of Hitch. I haven't read Astreja's recommendation (an oversight I will fix, but he's a damned good thinker away from religious topics as well) ... Why Orwell Matters being a favorite of mine.

Welcome to TTA. The bathroom's two doors down on your left, but make sure Girly wasn't the last user.
14-11-2017, 09:01 PM
(14-11-2017 06:50 PM)Astreja Wrote:  Welcome, Glisan!

If you haven't already read it, pick up a copy of Arguably by Hitchens. It's a remarkable collection of book reviews and essays that goes far beyond religion. His writings on the politics and culture of the Middle East are particularly interesting.

I was scrolling down the thread with the intention of saying...pretty much this. Far ranging interests and fascinating takes on so many topics. Great article on the American fanatic/abolitionist John Brown, really changed my way of looking at him. Great article on the history of the book Animal Farm.

Youtube's great and all but there's nothing like reading a book at your own leisure and pace, and it's so much easier to pause and rewind.

[+] 2 users Like jerry mcmasters's post
14-11-2017, 09:48 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. I do, however, take umbrage at your offhanded derision of my beliefs which you could not possibly have deduced from my limited posts. My question about getting from belief to knowledge was intended to spark a discussion about how in hell can we pry any human being from their faith based beliefs and steer them into fact based pursuit of knowledge.
14-11-2017, 09:53 PM
(14-11-2017 09:48 PM)glisan900 Wrote:  

Thanks for the suggestion. I do, however, take umbrage at your offhanded derision of my beliefs which you could not possibly have deduced from my limited posts. My question about getting from belief to knowledge was intended to spark a discussion about how in hell can we pry any human being from their faith based beliefs and steer them into fact based pursuit of knowledge.

If you're referring to the pink text in Astreja's post, that's her signature line. It's not directed at you. It appears at the bottom of all her posts.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 1 user Likes Fatbaldhobbit's post