Christopher Hitchens 1-0 Tony Blair

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-11-2010, 09:04 PM
Christopher Hitchens 1-0 Tony Blair
Quote:Christopher Hitchens 1-0 Tony Blair

Staunch atheist wins over audience in debate with Catholic convert over whether religion is a force for good in the world

Both men were unabashedly stalwart in their positions. Hitchens, one of the leading "new atheists" and author of the hit book God Is Not Great, slammed religion as nothing more than supernatural gobbledegook that caused untold misery throughout human history. "Once you assume a creator and a plan it make us subjects in a cruel experiment," Hitchens said before causing widespread laughter by comparing God to "a kind of divine North Korea".

Blair, perhaps not surprisingly, was a little less forthright. On the backfoot for much of the debate he kept returning to his theme that many religious people all over the world were engaged in great and good works. They did that because of their faith, he argued, and to slam all religious people as ignorant or evil was plain wrong. "The proposition that religion is unadulterated poison is unsustainable," he said. Blair called religion at its best "a benign progressive framework by which to live our lives".

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/nov...air-debate

Too bad we have to pay to see the debate. I would love to see it.

[Image: buddhasig.png]
“Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.” ~ Gautama Buddha
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-11-2010, 10:24 PM

RE: Christopher Hitchens 1-0 Tony Blair
I imagine sooner or later someone who does pay will forward it under "Fair Use" , to You Tube.

I thought it was no contest before it even happened. Hitchens all the way.
Quote this message in a reply
29-11-2010, 10:29 PM
(29-11-2010 09:04 PM)The Doctor Wrote:  
Quote:Christopher Hitchens 1-0 Tony Blair

Staunch atheist wins over audience in debate with Catholic convert over whether religion is a force for good in the world

Both men were unabashedly stalwart in their positions. Hitchens, one of the leading "new atheists" and author of the hit book God Is Not Great, slammed religion as nothing more than supernatural gobbledegook that caused untold misery throughout human history. "Once you assume a creator and a plan it make us subjects in a cruel experiment," Hitchens said before causing widespread laughter by comparing God to "a kind of divine North Korea".

Blair, perhaps not surprisingly, was a little less forthright. On the backfoot for much of the debate he kept returning to his theme that many religious people all over the world were engaged in great and good works. They did that because of their faith, he argued, and to slam all religious people as ignorant or evil was plain wrong. "The proposition that religion is unadulterated poison is unsustainable," he said. Blair called religion at its best "a benign progressive framework by which to live our lives".

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/nov...air-debate

Too bad we have to pay to see the debate. I would love to see it.

Your wish is my command. Tongue
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpMPFu3mMPA

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
30-11-2010, 12:38 AM
Watched it all last night, Hitchens made Blair look ridiculous. It really seemed like Blair was
very unprepared for the debate, he constantly returned to the same point for every argument.
Hitchens is sure a busy guy for a terminally ill cancer patient, he's been doing interviews and
debates almost daily for the last 2 months, it's crazy. He's going to die a legend.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MindprowlerMusic
Find all posts by this user
30-11-2010, 08:27 AM
I'll watch this one asap. So many good debates going on lately! Everyone should also look up the recent Hitchens/Dembski debate, it's probably similar to this one. The subject is whether or not a good god exists. The best part about that one is knowing that it took place in front of a lot of young minds (high school and junior high, I think) and in a place in which these minds are being indoctrinated. I still can't believe they allowed Hitchens inside such a place.

Here's a link to the audio: http://friendlyatheist.com/2010/11/20/au...ki-debate/

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
30-11-2010, 10:05 AM

Many thanks Levi and Sixth. Smile

(30-11-2010 12:38 AM)Mindprowler Wrote:  Watched it all last night, Hitchens made Blair look ridiculous. It really seemed like Blair was
very unprepared for the debate, he constantly returned to the same point for every argument.
Hitchens is sure a busy guy for a terminally ill cancer patient, he's been doing interviews and
debates almost daily for the last 2 months, it's crazy. He's going to die a legend.
I think his intent is to not let his illness curb his enthusiasm, while he's well aware there are some Christians who think he's getting his just desserts as bestowed by their vengeful god, so that he's doing the exact opposite of their expectations which is laying down and accepting his fate.

He's already a legend. ;)The zombie lovers hate that. Big Grin
30-11-2010, 02:06 PM

Unfortunately You Tube has removed the video due to copyright violations. Undecided

But fortunately Munk Debates, who caused You Tube to remove the link to the Debate posted here by Levi, has not been removed entirely from YT. (LINK video 1-9) Wink

By the way, and added after watching the thrashing Hitchens so aptly applied to Blair, who's bright idea was it (besides the Munk's) to think Blair was even qualified to debate Hitchens?
01-12-2010, 06:24 AM
Quote:By the way, and added after watching the thrashing Hitchens so aptly applied to Blair, who's bright idea was it (besides the Munk's) to think Blair was even qualified to debate Hitchens?

I was thinking the same thing when the first speaker was introducing Tony Blair with all that fluff and acting like it was going to have to take the incredible prowess of Hitchens to possibly have the chance of toppling him. Tongue I wonder if they'd watched a Hitchens debate before. LOL

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
01-12-2010, 10:15 AM

(01-12-2010 06:24 AM)LeviTimes Wrote:  
Quote:By the way, and added after watching the thrashing Hitchens so aptly applied to Blair, who's bright idea was it (besides the Munk's) to think Blair was even qualified to debate Hitchens?

I was thinking the same thing when the first speaker was introducing Tony Blair with all that fluff and acting like it was going to have to take the incredible prowess of Hitchens to possibly have the chance of toppling him. Tongue I wonder if they'd watched a Hitchens debate before. LOL

I actually had to fast forward through all that fluff, because it started to make my lips chapped for all the ass kissing going on. It takes up the whole 1st video, in fact. Undecided And no, I don't think Mr.Pucker had any clue as to what was in store before Hitchens stood up and proved if there was going to be an ass worthy of lips, it was Christopher before he even arrived at the venue.Tongue
01-12-2010, 02:14 PM
I'm starting to work my way through these and I'm just up to Blair's opening statement. I would just like to say that I am really sick and tired of people bringing up Hitler and Stalin and Pol Pot. He couldn't even get through his opening without drudging up this tired point.

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.