Christopher Hitchens: Speaking Honestly About Hillary Clinton

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-04-2016, 06:59 PM
RE: Christopher Hitchens: Speaking Honestly About Hillary Clinton
(03-04-2016 01:08 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(03-04-2016 12:42 PM)larry-new Wrote:  So deeply missed, and so right on so many things.

...and so wrong on many others. He was a great representative for atheism even though he was a womanizing sexist letch. lol

Citation needed.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like WillHopp's post
03-04-2016, 07:30 PM
(03-04-2016 01:08 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(03-04-2016 12:42 PM)larry-new Wrote:  So deeply missed, and so right on so many things.

...and so wrong on many others. He was a great representative for atheism even though he was a womanizing sexist letch. lol

Sexist? I have not seen, heard nor read such a thing. I also require a citation.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
04-04-2016, 06:02 PM
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/lovejoyfemi...inist.html

In his own words.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DNb17aYAQg

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rachel-skl...35777.html

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
04-04-2016, 09:39 PM
(04-04-2016 06:02 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  http://www.patheos.com/blogs/lovejoyfemi...inist.html

In his own words.

Meh, most of that is tongue-in-cheek and he says a wife of his doesn't have to work if she doesn't want to, but women are more than welcome to. Yes, he probably was bit sexist from that interview, but hardly worth the label. Not defending him, per se, but seems a little harsh when he defended women who were being oppressed through religion and ignorance. I'll admit I didn't hear this before, though, so thanks for the spotlight.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-04-2016, 09:52 PM
Okay, I watched the video. He begins by saying it must be horribly embarrassing to be one of his children. He then alludes to women being better with children than men. Something Nietzsche said very strongly and to which I, having grown up mostly amongst men, can agree. Men can be rough and children need a certain softness as far as I can tell.

He says he supports women who wish to work. But Mrs Hitchens should not be working due to his place perhaps being switched with her. Not in so many words. But certainly implied.

Was he sexist? No.

Sexist is a term I recall from my childhood. "Womens rights, mens lefts!". That's sexist. Wanting to prevent women from working is sexist. Disallowing female education is sexist.

Hitchen's sexist? No. Not in my opinion.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
04-04-2016, 10:18 PM
(04-04-2016 09:52 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Okay, I watched the video. He begins by saying it must be horribly embarrassing to be one of his children. He then alludes to women being better with children than men. Something Nietzsche said very strongly and to which I, having grown up mostly amongst men, can agree. Men can be rough and children need a certain softness as far as I can tell.

He says he supports women who wish to work. But Mrs Hitchens should not be working due to his place perhaps being switched with her. Not in so many words. But certainly implied.

Was he sexist? No.

Sexist is a term I recall from my childhood. "Womens rights, mens lefts!". That's sexist. Wanting to prevent women from working is sexist. Disallowing female education is sexist.

I agree with what you wrote. It's hard to glean much what amounts to a sound bite. (2 minute video).

I read the opinion blog posts as well and found them a tad trite. Especially the one written after he passed away.

I don't like Hilary Clinton either, she won't be getting my vote.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
05-04-2016, 03:14 AM
(04-04-2016 09:39 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  
(04-04-2016 06:02 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  http://www.patheos.com/blogs/lovejoyfemi...inist.html

In his own words.

Meh, most of that is tongue-in-cheek and he says a wife of his doesn't have to work if she doesn't want to, but women are more than welcome to. Yes, he probably was bit sexist from that interview, but hardly worth the label. Not defending him, per se, but seems a little harsh when he defended women who were being oppressed through religion and ignorance. I'll admit I didn't hear this before, though, so thanks for the spotlight.

Yes, he does say that but it wasn't his first unfiltered response. His first response was "not my woman" then he starts backpedaling with the they "can" if they want.

05-04-2016, 03:18 AM
(04-04-2016 09:52 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Okay, I watched the video. He begins by saying it must be horribly embarrassing to be one of his children. He then alludes to women being better with children than men. Something Nietzsche said very strongly and to which I, having grown up mostly amongst men, can agree. Men can be rough and children need a certain softness as far as I can tell.

Was he sexist? No.

His first response was, "not my woman". Did you miss that or selectively left it out? Then she calls him on it and he starts backpedaling. You ask for citations, I gave them to you. Three of them from reputable sources. That you choose to not see what I see in them is fine but I provided them and I find them viable.

05-04-2016, 03:23 AM
(04-04-2016 10:18 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  

Was he sexist? No.

I agree with what you wrote. It's hard to glean much what amounts to a sound bite. (2 minute video).

I read the opinion blog posts as well and found them a tad trite. Especially the one written after he passed away.

I don't like Hilary Clinton either, she won't be getting my vote.

As we've seen in nearly every xtian confrontation or argument, it's takes an extraordinary amount of evidence to change someone's sincerely held belief. Three articles/interviews are hardly that. I didn't post these to convince you, that was not going to happen. I was asked for citation from my opinion, I delivered it from reputable sources. You may dismiss it as you please.

05-04-2016, 04:46 AM (This post was last modified: 05-04-2016 04:59 AM by Gilgamesh.)
He very-well may have meant that women who care for children shouldn't have to work. I don't necessarily agree with this but certainly it's not too evil a conviction to arrive at.

If he meant that just by virtue of being female that women shouldn't have to pave their own way in the world - but should be taken care-of themselves by those who do earn, then that's pretty fucked.

His opinion about women being less funny I agree with, especially I agree that this difference (and many others) are so because of evolutionary biology/psycology. So meh. Ironic that Rachel Sklar's piece (third link) was so unfunny, and showed more than anything else that she was unable to differentiate between the sarcastic tangents Christopher went on to liven up his own piece, and the literal. I mean look at that which she chose for excerpts, and that she got hung up on lol.

Also, Heather, why not link his own articles? When one asks for sources they don't want to read someone else's perception of the source material. Especially when the one doing the percieving is biased (I mean the bias was clear from their words, but both bloggers declare themselves feminists off the bat lol.) ofcourse the feministards are going to get their knickers in a knot over what he said, but I don't care what they think. I want to see what he wrote in its entirety - without cutesy interjections - so that I can form my own opinion; Not excerpts followed by an authors obvious opinion of it.

The video you linked, as example, was a good citation. We can disagree on the meaning behind his words but at least we got his words. Sourcing other peoples opinions on his words? Nah.