Christopher Hitchens - TEXAS: America Supersized (Documentary)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-04-2013, 10:29 AM
RE: Christopher Hitchens - TEXAS: America Supersized (Documentary)
(15-04-2013 09:22 AM)Buddy Wrote:  I have often wondered if the Texas criticism is....well just plain ol jealousy.

I've spent a fair amount of time in Texas. It's not jealousy. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-04-2013, 11:55 AM
Is it true that Everything is Big in Texas? I might want to spend some time there if it is...if you know what I mean. Wink wink, Nudge nudge.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
15-04-2013, 07:38 PM
(15-04-2013 11:55 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  Is it true that Everything is Big in Texas? I might want to spend some time there if it is...if you know what I mean. Wink wink, Nudge nudge.

The fines for speeding are large. The state troopers' hats are big. Their cars are fast and their numbers, large. The jails are large and plentiful. The slow assed trucks hauling livestock or oilfield equipment are very large... and wide.

The churches aren't all huge but there are so many of them as to make the church business in and of itself, gi-fucking-normous.

Oh and, my dick is big. But I'm not there any more. Tongue

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like bbeljefe's post
16-04-2013, 03:30 AM
Not his best work and as opposed to a lot of other Hitchens' pieces comes off as very dated. This comes from probably the lowest point in Hitchens' career when he had broken with almost all of his friends (some permanently) and "got in bed with the devil" as the saying goes. He seems very conflicted this entire piece and his normal razor wit is rather subdued. The awkwardness of this is best illustrated in the scene where he says "It's better to be a drugstore cowboy than no cowboy at all." I think that phrase best describes this entire chapter in Hitchens' life he went into it with the best of intentions (at least according to his memoirs, though they probably were shaded to his favor a bit) and was used as a pitchman by a group that had little care for him or his cause.

Overall I give this piece 2 out of 5 stars.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post