Christopher Hitchens gave me my marching orders

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-03-2013, 04:24 AM (This post was last modified: 20-03-2013 04:29 AM by raoul116.)
Christopher Hitchens gave me my marching orders
A short snippet from the late Chris Hitchens explaining why it is so important for us to fight the good fight. I comment in the video after his explanation. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think of him and regret his passing away.

"that which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence" Christopher Hitchens
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like raoul116's post
07-04-2013, 10:13 PM
RE: Christopher Hitchens gave me my marching orders
I have often said to those who are my friends that I do not like the concept of treating someone as a hero or a celebrity, unless they have done something so profound and wonderful for the rest of us as to warrant some very serious gratitude. I glance around briefly at the embarrassing excuses for heroes that we have today in America, the pampered, pouting, singers, and brainless oaf athletes, and I can't help but cringe at how low our expectations and dreams have sunk.

It is my great pleasure to have discovered Christopher Hitchens the year after he died. Although it sometimes makes me scream when I think of what it would have been like to hear him live, or otherwise know of him during his life, I am tremendously grateful to possess the opportunity through youtube, to hear his voice posthumously. He is a hero to me. His passion and vigor as he engaged in an all out frontal assault of religion, leaves me without breath even today, hearing it for the umpteenth time. I would be proud of my accomplishments in life to do half the damage to religion that he did, nay even a small sliver. He gives me courage to do what I know deep down is right, and that courage is priceless to me.

Religion, rather than acting as a symbol of truth or justice, merely acts as a symbol of human gullibility and stupidity. Surely no race of beings with any real intelligence would concoct such drivel.
[+] 1 user Likes Prometheus762's post
08-04-2013, 04:48 AM
RE: Christopher Hitchens gave me my marching orders
(07-04-2013 10:13 PM)Prometheus762 Wrote:  I have often said to those who are my friends that I do not like the concept of treating someone as a hero or a celebrity, unless they have done something so profound and wonderful for the rest of us as to warrant some very serious gratitude. I glance around briefly at the embarrassing excuses for heroes that we have today in America, the pampered, pouting, singers, and brainless oaf athletes, and I can't help but cringe at how low our expectations and dreams have sunk.

It is my great pleasure to have discovered Christopher Hitchens the year after he died. Although it sometimes makes me scream when I think of what it would have been like to hear him live, or otherwise know of him during his life, I am tremendously grateful to possess the opportunity through youtube, to hear his voice posthumously. He is a hero to me. His passion and vigor as he engaged in an all out frontal assault of religion, leaves me without breath even today, hearing it for the umpteenth time. I would be proud of my accomplishments in life to do half the damage to religion that he did, nay even a small sliver. He gives me courage to do what I know deep down is right, and that courage is priceless to me.

I'm in the same boat as you - catching onto his debates/videos after he'd died. But, as they say, better late than never right? And I'm sure that if he's around in the cosmos somewhere he's smiling at the way we have tried to pick up his guantlet and moved on with it.

"that which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence" Christopher Hitchens