Christopher Hitchens has died.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-12-2011, 06:43 AM (This post was last modified: 16-12-2011 06:48 AM by hotrodmike.)
RE: Christopher Hitchens 1949-2011
Yeah, I was just reading the comments on The Amazing Atheist's video about Hitch's death, and of course there's Christians celebrating it and saying 'burn in hell'...to my mind, they're all overcome with joy that one of the most effective critics of their delusional beliefs has been rendered silent for eternity. No longer will they be left red-faced and limp-dicked by his arguments. No longer will they have to spend hours if not days and weeks trying to rationalize their beliefs in the face of a well-delivered Hitch-Slap. I cannot conjure the loss of a comparable opponent to atheists on the religious side because none exists. Hitchens argued from historical accuracy, logical certainty, and the moral high ground. He left the theists nothing but dogma and 'but I FEEL it's true' in response. I'm glad he's no longer suffering. I will miss his articulate advocacy of reason over dangerous superstition and mythology.
I forgot to mention I am having a few drinks in his memory. Cheers.

The way to see by Faith, is to shut the eye of Reason. - Ben Franklin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like hotrodmike's post
16-12-2011, 07:17 AM
RE: Christopher Hitchens has died.
A great man, I can only hope I achieve as much as he did. Just painful news, It saddens my heart.

Idiot: : a foolish or stupid person
— idiot adjective
See Republican Candidates.

Keeping realism alive, one honest offensive comment at a time!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Clint Barnett's post
16-12-2011, 08:13 AM
Saw this and all I could say was... No... Sad

"We Humans are capable of greatness." -Carl Sagan
[+] 1 user Likes NotSoVacuous's post
16-12-2011, 08:26 AM
(16-12-2011 01:03 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(16-12-2011 12:51 AM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  Go to the Yahoo news story and scroll down to the comments. As expected they are filled with Christians gleefully exclaiming that he's burning in hell and that "God showed him just how great he actually is."

Angry Grrr. Idiots.

This is among so many things that make me so very angry about Christians in particular (surely other religions have their sections of nasty people, but Christianity's the one I know most about). They profess to be loving and accepting and blah blah, then this. "Ooh, that guy who talks smack about our religion has died! Hip hip hurray!" How is that loving? I know I'm preaching to the choir (forgive me: I'm new Smile ), but seriously. Do these people ever think about the words that come out of their mouths or off their fingers?

At any rate, I'm not terribly familiar with Mr Hitchens' work, but I am saddened by the loss of a non-religious voice.

"The amazing thing is that every atom in your body came from a star that exploded. ... So, forget Jesus. The stars died so that you could be here today." -- Lawrence Krauss
[+] 1 user Likes calmblueocean's post
16-12-2011, 08:33 AM
(16-12-2011 08:26 AM)calmblueocean Wrote:  At any rate, I'm not terribly familiar with Mr Hitchens' work, but I am saddened by the loss of a non-religious voice.
Go get familiar! He was a wonderful critic and orator - perhaps the most articulate and charming speaker I've ever come across. Welcome to the forum though!

So long Hitch - you were an inspiration and will continue to be so through the writings and videos you left behind. Going to go get some Johnny Walker Black and raise a glass tonight. May we all face life as bravely as he faced death.

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
16-12-2011, 08:40 AM
Well if there is a god, he's screwed now!

Christopher is the only person that can put the fear of god in god!

We love you Hitch.
[+] 2 users Like unsapien's post
16-12-2011, 08:45 AM
It's sad that I only heard about Hitchens a while ago, just to see him die a few months later Sad. Nevertheless, he was a great man and his work against religion will be remembered.
[+] 1 user Likes Kaos MD's post
16-12-2011, 08:56 AM
I had hoped against hope that he'd be around for longer. I love watching him speak and argue, and hitchslap his way through the apologists. He was a man who could not be silenced, and thanks to his books, speeches, and articles, he won't be.

"But the point is, find somebody to love. Everything else is overrated." - HouseofCantor
16-12-2011, 10:01 AM
(16-12-2011 08:26 AM)calmblueocean Wrote:  
(16-12-2011 01:03 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(16-12-2011 12:51 AM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  Go to the Yahoo news story and scroll down to the comments. As expected they are filled with Christians gleefully exclaiming that he's burning in hell and that "God showed him just how great he actually is."

Angry Grrr. Idiots.

This is among so many things that make me so very angry about Christians in particular (surely other religions have their sections of nasty people, but Christianity's the one I know most about). They profess to be loving and accepting and blah blah, then this. "Ooh, that guy who talks smack about our religion has died! Hip hip hurray!" How is that loving? I know I'm preaching to the choir (forgive me: I'm new Smile ), but seriously. Do these people ever think about the words that come out of their mouths or off their fingers?

At any rate, I'm not terribly familiar with Mr Hitchens' work, but I am saddened by the loss of a non-religious voice.

This is my fight and what I'm actively trying to get other Christians to understand.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 4 users Like kingschosen's post
16-12-2011, 10:07 AM
(16-12-2011 10:01 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  This is my fight and what I'm actively trying to get other Christians to understand.

Don't stress too much KC. They're not your responsibility. You are your responsibility Wink
[+] 5 users Like morondog's post