Chronic Illness and Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-07-2012, 07:36 AM
Chronic Illness and Atheism
This is something I've been thinking about a lot recently.

I was a fundamentalist Christian until I was 20ish. Toward the end of that I was diagnosed with depression, and later bipolar II.

With god in my corner I thought I'd be free of it when I went to heaven.

Now I don't believe in god, and therefore I don't believe in heaven.

I know and really like the idea that "this is our only time on earth, use it wisely".

But I'll probably have bipolar II for the rest of my life, and will be on meds similar to the ones I have now... and I will die having lived the latter... 3/4 (hopefully I'll make it there in age) of my life with this illness.

Anybody thought about this? Any chronically ill individuals that have thought about this?

All I know is that it's hard. And I hope any of your in a similar situation can lead full and successful lives... and hopefully I'll manage as well.

opera

Operatic Baritone + Not Terribly Good Composer
http://www.soundcloud.com/archangelassociate

Mathematician and Computer Scientist working in compilers
http://www.rosecompiler.org

Advocate for the mentally ill, and I have bipolar II
ihaveamentalillness.com
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-07-2012, 10:49 AM
RE: Chronic Illness and Atheism
(06-07-2012 07:36 AM)operaBaritone Wrote:  This is something I've been thinking about a lot recently.

I was a fundamentalist Christian until I was 20ish. Toward the end of that I was diagnosed with depression, and later bipolar II.

I know and really like the idea that "this is our only time on earth, use it wisely".

But I'll probably have bipolar II for the rest of my life, and will be on meds similar to the ones I have now... and I will die having lived the latter... 3/4 (hopefully I'll make it there in age) of my life with this illness.

Anybody thought about this? Any chronically ill individuals that have thought about this?

All I know is that it's hard. And I hope any of your in a similar situation can lead full and successful lives... and hopefully I'll manage as well.

opera

Chances are, in a decade or so there will be much better meds, and maybe even a cure during your life time. I have watched decades of medical advances now and often they are nothing short of miraculous.

You have everything to live for, your affliction isn't terminal. What difference does it make if there is an afterlife or not? Either way, you are here now and you will be for a long time to come, barring weird accidents. Enjoy yourself, and take care of yourself.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
06-07-2012, 04:23 PM
(06-07-2012 07:36 AM)operaBaritone Wrote:  This is something I've been thinking about a lot recently.

opera
I have suffered from clinical depression and chronic pain for 30 years. I medically treat both as lightly as possible, enough to alleviate symptoms. I quit using alcohol and recreational drugs more than 20 years ago.

In that time I have been employed, built a house, helped care for my aging mother, married and divorced, had girlfriends, had hobbies, read lots of books, traveled, enjoyed life, struggled, had surgeries, had sadness and pain, started (with two others) a software company 18 months ago, ...

I have been living life, and so can you. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Chas's post
08-07-2012, 04:32 PM
I have been depressed for 19 years, diagnosed with borderline personality disorder a few years ago. This disorder will be with me until the day I die. Still I live as best as I can, no medication, welcoming the future. I also have asthma, which is chronical as well and may or may not stay.
I don't identify as my mental or physical issues > I identify myself as who I am. A person, trying to live a good live, trying to help others, and trying to achieve my goals.

And this is, what you should do, too Smile
Don't be upset because you need medication, be happy that you have access to them, not everyone has that Smile It's a good thing.
Make the best of your life, have fun, be happy, enjoy as much as you can. We are on this planet for such a short time, we should use this time (but you said that yourself already).

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Leela's post
08-07-2012, 05:27 PM
I have asthma too. It sucks. No pun intended.
09-07-2012, 12:46 AM
Yes, it can seems overwhelming. The mental health knowledge has gained ground in understanding so much in the past recent years that there is hope for something much more manageable and perhaps even curable for mental illnesses, especially bipolar.

As far as living with something that feels debilitating for the rest of your life, I think most people can relate. Most of us have something in life- addictions, physically limitations, mental illnesses, etc- that we need to learn to cope with.

These limitations can be made to create a positive world for yourself. Jim Carey, Robin Williams and Vincent Van Gogh (as well as MANY others, look it up) have bipolar and it seems much of their personality and creativity could be contributed from bipolar which I think is neat and kind of find it fascinating.