Church Cancels Wedding - Couple Supports Gay Marriage

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-09-2017, 06:50 PM
Exclamation Church Cancels Wedding - Couple Supports Gay Marriage
This is yet another example of the severely outdated dogmatism and hypocrisy of the Presbyterian Church (and other protestant denominations) here in Australia...

Church cancels wedding because bride and groom supported gay marriage on Facebook

The couple was summoned to minister Steven North's office and was told he would no longer marry them, nor would they be allowed to hold their ceremony at the church. In a letter to the bride, provided to Fairfax Media, North said the views expressed in her Facebook post had "practical consequences" for the wedding.

"After the pre-marital counselling that you attended and the sermons delivered at Ebenezer St John's on this subject, you must surely appreciate that your commitment to same-sex marriage opposes the teaching of Christ Jesus and the scriptural position practiced by the Presbyterian Church of Australia and by me," he wrote.

This is the smug, hypocritical arsehole Steven North...

[Image: 1505437461624.jpg]

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
15-09-2017, 07:05 PM
RE: Church Cancels Wedding - Couple Supports Gay Marriage
Is that like a doll house church ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
15-09-2017, 08:20 PM
(15-09-2017 07:05 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Is that like a doll house church ?

A church where people play pretend? Doesn't that go without saying?

More Min Gee Ziss
[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 2 users Like TSG's post
15-09-2017, 11:52 PM
Even without the context, that picture makes me want to crack his skull open.
[+] 2 users Like I'mFred's post
16-09-2017, 12:38 AM
Well, their church, their rules. Yeah, they are being dicks about it.

But then again, if the couple really is pro-marriage equality, then maybe they'll see the church for the toxic garbage fire that it is and just drop religion?

After all, It's quite clear the church doesn't want them.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
16-09-2017, 01:29 AM
This kind of thing will only drive more people away from the Church. Well done Pastor North Smile You're exposing the church for the bunch of dickheads they really are, not the nice inclusive community that people think they are.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 8 users Like morondog's post
16-09-2017, 01:30 AM
(16-09-2017 12:38 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Well, their church, their rules. Yeah, they are being dicks about it.

But then again, if the couple really is pro-marriage equality, then maybe they'll see the church for the toxic garbage fire that it is and just drop religion?

After all, It's quite clear the church doesn't want them.

After reading the article it seems it's North's church, North's rules. Other Presbyterian ministers aren't refusing to marry SSM supporters- just him.

The couple are now getting married in a secular venue and have vowed to never step foot in the church again, so good work, Mr North! Way to get rid of organised religion. Go! You good thing! Atheists everywhere thank you for your support.

North must have stalked the bride-to-be's facebook page: anyone else find that a seriously creepy invasion of her privacy?
[+] 7 users Like Sushisnake's post
16-09-2017, 02:09 AM
(16-09-2017 01:30 AM)Sushisnake Wrote:  North must have stalked the bride-to-be's facebook page: anyone else find that a seriously creepy invasion of her privacy?

Anybody who posts anything on Facebook with any expectation of privacy is, in a word, a fool.

Does it seem needlessly invasive? Sure. But they did put that information out there, available to the public. That's why I don't use Facebook.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
16-09-2017, 02:31 AM (This post was last modified: 16-09-2017 02:39 AM by Sushisnake.)
(16-09-2017 02:09 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(16-09-2017 01:30 AM)Sushisnake Wrote:  North must have stalked the bride-to-be's facebook page: anyone else find that a seriously creepy invasion of her privacy?

Anybody who posts anything on Facebook with any expectation of privacy is, in a word, a fool.

Does it seem needlessly invasive? Sure. But they did put that information out there, available to the public. That's why I don't use Facebook.

We don't know it was a public post. Facebook does have privacy settings. I'd say she had the priest or more likely his church on her friends list and he was receiving notifications from her- in short, stalking her on facebook. Most of us only receive notifications from those we're close to, but I'd guess this creepy priest plays Big Brother on his congregation.
16-09-2017, 02:36 AM
(16-09-2017 02:09 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  

FB is somewhat of a platform/soapbox. I mean, if she deliberately made a post supporting gay marriage she intended it to be seen. So that part's fine IMO. It's the bit where the pastor loses the plot and cancels the wedding that's not so fine, but actually works out even better. Now public attention is focused on a. the church are a bunch of troglodytes b. the marriage issue, with the probable result that even more people will come out in support of marriage equality. So the result is probably going to be completely opposite to what the pastor intended.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post