Church Financial Support to Community
Post Reply
 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
21-01-2014, 08:42 AM
Church Financial Support to Community
I was asked to attend a dinner at the church that my wife works at doing daycare. I thought it was just a family night sort of thing, but they ended up going over details about the 2014 money and budget, for member approval. Now this is not a huge church but a decent sized christian/baptist one in a nice area where the congregation has alot of $$$. What got me was that they always preach how they help out in the local community and pound their chest about the money given to charities and groups that feed the hungry and give shelter to homeless.

Well to my surprise, less than 2% of the total dollars raised evey year goes directly to the food banks, habitat for Humanity, and similar causes. The budgeted money given to the band was higher, church administration was higher, and the amount given to enangelism efforts was twice as much. I mean, all those people could have given 50 times more money to people with real needs if there wasn't the property taxes, mortgage, musicians, evangelism trips, salaries, and administration....

What would Jesus think?

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Timber1025's post
21-01-2014, 08:53 AM
RE: Church Financial Support to Community
I would have thought at least 10% would be an appropriate amount Wink

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
21-01-2014, 08:55 AM
RE: Church Financial Support to Community
flashy shows to fool the masses aren't cheap.

if they don't spend money on the band, the evangelism….well then how are they going to get more members to give money to the admin?


Smile


"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-01-2014, 02:26 PM
RE: Church Financial Support to Community
Church philosophy:

"1 for you, 100 for me, 1 for you, 100 for me..."

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
22-01-2014, 02:11 AM
RE: Church Financial Support to Community
(21-01-2014 08:42 AM)Timber1025 Wrote:  Well to my surprise, less than 2% of the total dollars raised evey year goes directly to the food banks, habitat for Humanity, and similar causes. The budgeted money given to the band was higher, church administration was higher, and the amount given to enangelism efforts was twice as much.

[Image: theres_your_problem_5304.jpg]

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-01-2014, 07:12 AM
RE: Church Financial Support to Community
(21-01-2014 08:42 AM)Timber1025 Wrote:  Well to my surprise, less than 2% of the total dollars raised evey year goes directly to the food banks, habitat for Humanity, and similar causes. The budgeted money given to the band was higher, church administration was higher, and the amount given to enangelism efforts was twice as much. I mean, all those people could have given 50 times more money to people with real needs if there wasn't the property taxes, mortgage, musicians, evangelism trips, salaries, and administration....

I was an elder at my old church for five years. They way they would plan it is that 10% of the church budget would be allocated for various charity work, and the remaining 90% would go to administration and maintenance. Now, I don't specifically have a problem with that, but the truth is, when people were donating their 10% of their salary to "God", only 1% of their income (assuming they were tithing 10%, which most people didn't) would go to helping people. The other 9% went to running the church.



On a semi-related note, since I stopped believing in God, I've rerouted my money to other things. While I understand that church is super important to a lot of people, I can't help but see it as a social club for people, the majority of whom are doing fairly well for themselves. I'd rather spend my money on better causes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Post Reply
Forum Jump: