Church Libraries: A Non-Sequitur

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-05-2015, 01:56 PM
The bible (any of them) is presented by its adherents as "THE" final word on whatever subject is found therein. The christian bible is roughly 900,000 words, or about 8 novels the length of Huckleberry Finn. Or all the articles in two years of Time magazine. Not much, in other words. (And it should embarrass bible adherents that most of them haven't yet read all of this rather small work of something they insist is "THE" source of all important knowledge, a task that at the average reading speed of 300 WPM would only take 50 hours, a month at 2 hours a day, or 6 months at 20 minutes a day. How many years have these adherents fondled their bible and still haven't read it in full?)

Leave alone the colossal absurdity that the fund of essential human knowledge can be contained in a trifling million words and grant the adherents their claim that their bible is final source for answers to any question. Because, if so, what purpose is served by the church library? No volume in it save the bible can have anything useful to say on any topic because the bible is "THE" final word on any topic.

If a bible adherent says "Now wait just a minute, a lot of those library volumes explain what's in the bible, clarify its message, enlarge on its examples, fill in missing detail" what he's saying is the bible is NOT the final word because it needs this extra-biblical exposition to take its place as the final word.

More important, if any extra-biblical exposition is regarded as crucial to gain understanding of some biblical passage, such exposition MUST be made part of the canon. That's what they did when they first compiled the christian bible: assemble what they considered corroborating accounts that gave full explanation of what was deemed essential knowledge at the time. Stuff was left out that was considered superfluous or incompatible or blasphemous, but stuff was kept in even when repetitious so as to create a comprehensive reference.

But no addenda or appendices or emendments have been applied since. The work is considered complete as is.

And in the absence of such, any church library cannot serve any purpose. Other than introduce confusion and dissension, that is, since none of it being added to the canon can be taken as authoritative. A casual examination of the religious realm DOES reflect a certain amount of confusion and dissension, like perhaps the WHOLE of it.

I don't think these libraries are to blame, and I'm not suggesting church libraries be converted to rummage sale halls. Any extra-biblical exposition in any context is superior to the bible. But I don't think the bible adherents look at it that way.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Airportkid's post
31-05-2015, 11:10 PM
RE: Church Libraries: A Non-Sequitur
You might want to define adherents since not every Christian holds the bible the same way. Catholics have two parts. Scripture and Tradition. Both of which are considered inspired by God.

There is also the fact that it is actually really difficult to read the bible since that would require intimate knowledge of both hebrew and Greek. All translations are by necessity paraphrases.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
01-06-2015, 03:29 AM
(31-05-2015 11:10 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  You might want to define adherents since not every Christian holds the bible the same way. Catholics have two parts. Scripture and Tradition. Both of which are considered inspired by God.

There is also the fact that it is actually really difficult to read the bible since that would require intimate knowledge of both hebrew and Greek. All translations are by necessity paraphrases.

If God wants me to learn Hebrew to understand him he can go get fucked.

I'd rather eat poo than study Hebrew.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Mark Fulton's post
01-06-2015, 05:19 AM
I say go for it. I got a quick intro to Hebrew and Greek and even learned a bit of Aramaic. Even studied how the letters were written in the Torah. (Some believe there's secret knowledge in how they were written.)

Does wonders for making atheists. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
01-06-2015, 05:27 AM
Just don't try reading "The Golden Plates" of the Mormons...... They're reportedly been reburied. And, you need to put a rock in a hat to stick over your face to read them..... But it's got to be a special rock. .....

Don't look at ME funny... I didn't make this shit up......

Consult the Mormons....

Or, just stick around your front door on Saturday morning... They'll show up eventually...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
01-06-2015, 07:54 AM (This post was last modified: 01-06-2015 08:07 AM by Cosmic Discourse.)
(01-06-2015 05:27 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Just don't try reading "The Golden Plates" of the Mormons...... They're reportedly been reburied. And, you need to put a rock in a hat to stick over your face to read them..... But it's got to be a special rock. .....

Don't look at ME funny... I didn't make this shit up......

Consult the Mormons....

Or, just stick around your front door on Saturday morning... They'll show up eventually...
Also, if you're not the chosen prophet of that dispensation, you will spontaneously combust upon observing said plates.

And it came to pass.. (Mormon humor)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-06-2015, 10:02 PM
(31-05-2015 11:10 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  There is also the fact that it is actually really difficult to read the bible since that would require intimate knowledge of both hebrew and Greek. All translations are by necessity paraphrases.

If god was so smart, why would he have had his most important instructions written down in dead languages? Especially since Hebrew was almost like Latin is today in jesus' time. Even dumber considering the Chinese still have similar writing that they did 2000 years ago. The dumbass seemed to pick the wrong people.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
02-06-2015, 12:25 AM
(01-06-2015 10:02 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  
(31-05-2015 11:10 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  There is also the fact that it is actually really difficult to read the bible since that would require intimate knowledge of both hebrew and Greek. All translations are by necessity paraphrases.

If god was so smart, why would he have had his most important instructions written down in dead languages? Especially since Hebrew was almost like Latin is today in jesus' time. Even dumber considering the Chinese still have similar writing that they did 2000 years ago. The dumbass seemed to pick the wrong people.

Uh... neither Hebrew nor Greek are dead languages.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
02-06-2015, 12:26 AM
(01-06-2015 03:29 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(31-05-2015 11:10 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  You might want to define adherents since not every Christian holds the bible the same way. Catholics have two parts. Scripture and Tradition. Both of which are considered inspired by God.

If God wants me to learn Hebrew to understand him he can go get fucked.

I'd rather eat poo than study Hebrew.

So you would rather eat crap than become more knowledgeable. Well that explains a lot. Tongue

- my friend Marc
02-06-2015, 12:29 AM
(01-06-2015 05:19 AM)Clockwork Wrote:  I say go for it. I got a quick intro to Hebrew and Greek and even learned a bit of Aramaic. Even studied how the letters were written in the Torah. (Some believe there's secret knowledge in how they were written.)

Does wonders for making atheists. Smile

speaking of which, time to study my greek.

- my friend Marc