Church Mission Trip Support

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-11-2013, 12:15 PM
Church Mission Trip Support
I just need to have a small rant about a meeting I attended at my sons church last week concerning a mission trip to Belize next summer. My 16 yr old is very involved in the youth group at our local church and has really become a leader and good alround young man. He really wants to go on the trip and is willing to sell his Ipad to help with the $1700 cost. I know it will be a great experience and my wife and I will not deny him this opportunity.

The initial meeting about the trip details just was a bit unsettling to me concerning the amount of preaching needed to occur before, during and after the visit. The youth leader talked about how when they give out free eyeglasses to the people in the village that there is a long line, and he takes that opportunity to place his most evangellical person at the door to push the word of Jesus. It seems the they plan to prey on the villagers for the sake of their Gods message. Most parents chuckled when he mentioned this tactic. The leader also said he thanked the lord he did not get sick there, although one woman spent an entire day in the hospital connected to IV bags. Really? You are in a jungle environment and someone is bound to get sick with no exclusivity from God.

I don't know, I probably make a biiger deal out if iit than it is, but the agenda and goal of these trips just seem to not be 100% focused on really helping other humans. Hearing the word of the Christain Bible is not what these people need to make their living conditions better.

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Timber1025's post
16-11-2013, 04:01 PM
RE: Church Mission Trip Support
The religious organizations do send these kids amongst the poor and basically hold them hostage so they have to listen to their religious tenets and prayers. No listen, no help. Then the churches have the gall to say how many have converted to Christianity. These people may not be as stupid as they are poor. They'll listen to what's being preached, get their eyeglasses, and resume their old ways when the church influence has left. A small price to pay, a little of their time. One group digs water wells if the people "convert".
16-11-2013, 06:23 PM
I hope that the leader of that religion gets killed.
16-11-2013, 07:17 PM
Little harsh, huh?
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
16-11-2013, 07:41 PM
Quote: One group digs water wells if the people "convert".

Even here....when the fuckers run a soup kitchen it's a spoonful of soup and a spoonful of jesus. Hypocritical bastards...all of them.

[Image: reality.jpg?imgmax=800]
17-11-2013, 12:32 AM
In my humble opinion that is immoral. But religious organizations have always been doing that. They used to get away with that with the homeless. Listen to our sermon and we will feed you, let you shower and launder your clothes, and give you a bed for the night. Dont,.....out you go with your stinky clothes. Now a days i think they are prohibited.

Correct me if i am mistaken, but aren't the Christians big in spreading the gospel. And arnt Belizans already Christian,....as in Roman Catholic at 40% and other Christian at 31%. I guess they are converting one sect of Christianity to another sect.
17-11-2013, 12:57 AM
I wasn't aware there were still people surprised by this. I thought everyone knew this was the norm. Sorry you had to find out from a group of people your son is close to. That's probably an extra hard punch to the gut. I'm happy the impoverished people are getting things they need to improve their quality of life, but that doesn't excuse the poor judgement being used.

They want to be able to brag about all the good they've done for their fellow man while leaving out the important parts, basically.

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
17-11-2013, 03:46 AM
More to the point...

How are you going to prevent your son becoming contaminated?

Ohmy

18-11-2013, 12:12 AM
(07-11-2013 12:15 PM)Timber1025 Wrote:  I just need to have a small rant about a meeting I attended at my sons church last week concerning a mission trip to Belize next summer. My 16 yr old is very involved in the youth group at our local church and has really become a leader and good alround young man. He really wants to go on the trip and is willing to sell his Ipad to help with the $1700 cost. I know it will be a great experience and my wife and I will not deny him this opportunity.

The initial meeting about the trip details just was a bit unsettling to me concerning the amount of preaching needed to occur before, during and after the visit. The youth leader talked about how when they give out free eyeglasses to the people in the village that there is a long line, and he takes that opportunity to place his most evangellical person at the door to push the word of Jesus. It seems the they plan to prey on the villagers for the sake of their Gods message. Most parents chuckled when he mentioned this tactic. The leader also said he thanked the lord he did not get sick there, although one woman spent an entire day in the hospital connected to IV bags. Really? You are in a jungle environment and someone is bound to get sick with no exclusivity from God.

I don't know, I probably make a biiger deal out if iit than it is, but the agenda and goal of these trips just seem to not be 100% focused on really helping other humans. Hearing the word of the Christain Bible is not what these people need to make their living conditions better.

Well, isn't this par for the course?

[Image: hC3F3C665]

I loved my grandfather, and he was a member of the Knight of Columbus. My problem with them is twofold.

One: Columbus was one of the biggest douche-bags ever.

[Image: Ofokc.jpg]

Two: ^This^

So yeah, can't say I'm terrible surprised when the goal of helping people out takes a back seat religious agendas. Imagine how many more they could help if they all put in the work, instead of spending time trying to convert the natives?

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
18-11-2013, 12:32 PM
Hmm...posted in a another forum and didn't realize it is here with replies. Anyway, I have conversations with my son regularly and I get that he does ask questions and has a good grounding in science. His whole group of friends are invloved in the christian church and they are good kids, and so is my son, so I don't have any desire to mess with that part of it. His older brother got in with a "not so good" bunch of high schoolers so I have no leverage in this regard.

He knows where I stand and I think he wishes we we on the same page, but he does not let these differences effect our relationship. His beliefs in Jesus and his teachings are apparently there, but I think his BS meter will climb too high by the time he starts college in a couple of years. It is then when I hope he sees the world much clearer.

I do have reason to think that he is being taught to disregard evolution, which may prompt me to visit the youth leader in private - oh my wife would not like that!

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —