Church going dilemma

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
23-03-2014, 02:31 AM
Church going dilemma
I've been accompanying my family to church even though they know I am an atheist. They have come to accept it, but are still really pushy about it. I'm in a position where I have to go to church at least one service a week. My mum says she won't stop me from not going, but stated that she would be really sad if I didn't. They are trying to get me interested in the bible and encourage me to ask the pastor questions, even though I am not even slightly interested to find out about these myths. I find that I'm sorta blackmailed to do something I dislike. When I talk to my parents about it, they say that I really should find out about these things, as if it gives their religion validation. I can't really avoid cold interaction as I still live with them so I guess I'm stuck with this ultimatum.

Music is my religion
- Jimi Hendrix
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-03-2014, 05:25 AM
RE: Church going dilemma
Do this. Tell them if I have to go to church you must persuade your pastor to say some of the violent and less loving or no love at all bible verses. That might be able to scare them away.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] ♪僕は恐怖の一定した状態に住んで、不幸、逃すもう?僕は、それはもう痛いときも気づかないと
23-03-2014, 05:36 AM
Which church?

If it's one of the thousands around Novena, lemme know when you are next being dragged there and I'll meet you outside and start a fight with someone so that you can slip away unnoticed.

But it'll cost ya.

Smile

I reckon that killing the time by playing hand-phone games might be deemed a little rude but perhaps if you take a book (perhaps a classic title or something relating to your studies) it might be judged as time well spent.

If this causes a protest, I reckon they probably have not "come to accept it" yet.

23-03-2014, 07:28 AM
(23-03-2014 02:31 AM)guitarist Wrote:  My mum says she won't stop me from not going, but stated that she would be really sad if I didn't. "

This is a form of manipulation using emotions. Most moms can put on a guilt trip, but they can be easily defeated......shhh don't tell my kids. Wink

When she says this, ask her why (exactly) she will be sad. Make her spell it out. Make her voice her reasons for her sadness.
You can't argue with her emotions, but you can argue her reasons for having them.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
23-03-2014, 08:28 AM
(23-03-2014 02:31 AM)guitarist Wrote:  They are trying to get me interested in the bible and encourage me to ask the pastor questions, even though I am not even slightly interested to find out about these myths.

If you're forced to go anyway, take it as a challenge. Ask the pastor a question, about anything. Take notes. Bring it back here and we'll all go over what he's told you and give you a nice set of shiny new questions for him.

I don't think it would be too long before he tells your parents to stop sending you to him. Angel

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 4 users Like evenheathen's post
23-03-2014, 09:17 PM
I'd do what I did with my Mother in law.

"you want me to go to your church? Okay I'll go, but for every service I do at your church we are going to a service at a church of my choosing"

She goes, "Okay, why?"

"Because I want to explore my options"

After one trip to the Wicca Coven downtown she stopped trying to push it. But this way, you look like you are compromising, while at the same time knowing they will throw in the towel. Her statements, and I quote: "I'm not going in there"

"Why?"

"Because those are hell-bound Witches"

"Okay, then you broke the deal, I'm not going to church with you anymore"

"But thats not fair! you said Church, not Satan Worshipping"

"A Wicca Coven is a place of worship for the Wiccan Deities. I.E....A church, just because it doesn't fit your ignorant standard doesn't mean it's not what it is."

I had to call a cab for a ride home.

Shock And Awe Tactics-- The "application of massive or overwhelming force" to "disarm, incapacitate, or render the enemy impotent with as few casualties to ourselves and to noncombatants as possible"
[+] 1 user Likes Likos02's post
23-03-2014, 09:26 PM
(23-03-2014 09:17 PM)Likos02 Wrote:  I'd do what I did with my Mother in law.

"you want me to go to your church? Okay I'll go, but for every service I do at your church we are going to a service at a church of my choosing"

She goes, "Okay, why?"

"Because I want to explore my options"

After one trip to the Wicca Coven downtown she stopped trying to push it. But this way, you look like you are compromising, while at the same time knowing they will throw in the towel. Her statements, and I quote: "I'm not going in there"

"Why?"

"Because those are hell-bound Witches"

"Okay, then you broke the deal, I'm not going to church with you anymore"

"But thats not fair! you said Church, not Satan Worshipping"

"A Wicca Coven is a place of worship for the Wiccan Deities. I.E....A church, just because it doesn't fit your ignorant standard doesn't mean it's not what it is."

I had to call a cab for a ride home.

Hah, I love using logic to do these things and bending the warrior's sword so when he tries to cut you, he kills himself.

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post