Church invite for Easter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-04-2017, 08:48 AM
Church invite for Easter
Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum and I have an issue. My friend of 20+ years started distancing herself from myself and another friend a few years ago once she started attending church regularly. It hurt, but there was nothing I could do. We have recently started communicating here and there via social media and today she invited me to Easter service via text. She said she had been out sick from work but was definitely going to church. How do I tell her church rubs me the wrong way? How do I tell her all of the religious holidays she acknowledges are rooted in paganism and what she believes in is all lies? I value our friendship but I don't want to be part of any church related activities. What would you do in this situation?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-04-2017, 08:55 AM
RE: Church invite for Easter
I think you should decline the invitation. No long explanation needed.

If pressure continues from her then you may need to let her know that her beliefs aren't yours. This is going to be a play-it-by-ear thing depending on how pushy she is for more information.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
16-04-2017, 09:09 AM
[Image: there-is-no-polite-way-to-suggest-to-som...uote-1.jpg]

Which means you have two choices:
1) Suggest it impolitely.
2) Don't suggest it.

It all depends upon how much you value the friendship.

Personally, I'd go (because I've been in this situation and I accepted the invitation) ... and giggle at the silly bits. Muttering things like, "Isn't it cute that there are still people who think this is real?"

Mission accomplished, because you have shown a willingness to rekindle the friendship and you've shown that you are immune to any plans she may have to suck you in.

Thumbsup

Good luck with your decision, whichever path you choose.

Smile

[+] 5 users Like DLJ's post
16-04-2017, 10:20 AM
Oh, I'd just decline, make an excuse about having plans or something.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
16-04-2017, 12:15 PM
Yep... I agree with the other guys' suggestion. Just a polite refusal of her invitation is all that's necessary. Presuming she knows you're an atheist, I'm not even sure of why she suddenly asked you to an Easter church service. It could even be the beginnings of a not-so-subtle form of proselytising on her part?

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
16-04-2017, 12:28 PM
Will there be glazed ham? And asparagus?

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
16-04-2017, 12:30 PM
(16-04-2017 12:28 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Will there be glazed ham? And asparagus?

At church? Blink

Is that the new bread and wine?

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
16-04-2017, 12:38 PM
(16-04-2017 12:30 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(16-04-2017 12:28 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Will there be glazed ham? And asparagus?

At church? Blink

There was always a pot luck at church after service. No? They were damn good. Old Christian women can cook. That's probably why many have bad memories of church. If you don't have Sunday pot luck dinners after service then what's the point. We always had them.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
16-04-2017, 01:12 PM
(16-04-2017 12:38 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(16-04-2017 12:30 PM)Anjele Wrote:  At church? Blink

There was always a pot luck at church after service. No? They were damn good. Old Christian women can cook. That's probably why many have bad memories of church. If you don't have Sunday pot luck dinners after service then what's the point. We always had them.

Not at the Catholic church I attended...you went to mass then went to grandma's house on the big holidays, otherwise you went home.

After all, if you were old enough they had already fed you the communion host. No need for further fuss.

[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
16-04-2017, 03:05 PM
As a Baptist, potluck yes. As a Catholic, with Anjele here, most I've ever gotten is post-Mass donuts.

And I'd say I already had plans. Odds are, from listening to KLOVE extol this recently, your friend was probably told "if you invite people, 9 times out of 10 on Easter, they'll show up! So start inviting!"

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post