Church-like community

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-09-2013, 02:28 AM
Church-like community
Part 3 or so of my coming out

As a new atheist boy in my mid teens, I've come out to my family and have managed to stop all church activities (almost cold turkey). Now I'm feeling a little lost without a community like church. I haven't come out to anyone in church, thinking of how they would react and feel makes me a little scared. I have some atheist friends in school, but somehow I'm still missing that church feeling. That feeling where you know everyone else has similar ideals as you and where people are more or less harmless.

As an introvert, I'm fine alone, but that feeling of like loneliness, especially on Sundays when my family is out in church and I'm alone with the dog. I guess my online stalking of girls from church might contribute to this (from an all boys school ya see and my sex orientation is still undecided for now). I hope it's just a temporary thing, as I've not talked to my church friends out of fear.

There are atheist society's around, though the only one I've found is the Singapore humanist society. The events look nice, though I'm scared I can't find anyone of my age there. Any ex Christians know this feel and none know what I can do?

Music is my religion
- Jimi Hendrix
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-09-2013, 10:08 AM
RE: Church-like community
I don't know where you live but have you tried Meetup.com? There are atheists meet up groups, gaming meet up groups, hiking, biking and just about anything people might be interested in. The gaming Meetup groups are usually a younger crowd. Google it and you might find someplace to be on a Sunday when your family is away.

Take care. Sunday is a great day to:

A. Sleep in.
B. Watch football
C. Take the dog for a walk
D. Masturbate
E. Get out and hike with friends
F. Pet the cat
G. Clean the bedroom
H. Start a hobby
I. Fly a kite
J. Clip your toenails
etc........

Anything is better than spending two hours in a church listening to a bunch of 2000 year old nonsense, gibberish and drivle.
07-09-2013, 08:40 PM
Church-like community
(06-09-2013 10:08 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I don't know where you live but have you tried Meetup.com? There are atheists meet up groups, gaming meet up groups, hiking, biking and just about anything people might be interested in. The gaming Meetup groups are usually a younger crowd. Google it and you might find someplace to be on a Sunday when your family is away.

Take care. Sunday is a great day to:

A. Sleep in.
B. Watch football
C. Take the dog for a walk
D. Masturbate
E. Get out and hike with friends
F. Pet the cat
G. Clean the bedroom
H. Start a hobby
I. Fly a kite
J. Clip your toenails
etc........

Anything is better than spending two hours in a church listening to a bunch of 2000 year old nonsense, gibberish and drivle.

A, D and J you can also do in church.
[+] 2 users Like black_squirrel's post
08-09-2013, 01:56 AM
RE: Church-like community
I only went to two or three meetings of the Singapore humanist society.

Various ages of people there but not too many people as young as you.

There was sharing and stuff which didn't do it for me (being an introvert too) but it was interesting to hear other people's stories. A mix of radicals and passives.

They did put on a good event for Darwin Day ... NUS biology experts' presentations ... nice for flora-fans but only mild teasing of creationists.

So what to do on a Sunday? Consider Lucky Plaza? Dodgy

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  An Atheist in Church SkepticPianist 51 719 09-06-2014 04:50 AM
Last Post: Banjo
  Friend keeps inviting me to church events? worldatheist2 8 143 27-05-2014 06:12 AM
Last Post: SkepticPianist
  Going to church Fruzsi93 11 253 24-04-2014 11:53 AM
Last Post: elconquistador
  Church going dilemma guitarist 6 137 23-03-2014 09:26 PM
Last Post: Alex_Leonardo
  Would you ever live across the street from a church? Sovby 30 482 24-02-2014 07:16 PM
Last Post: Takelababy
  Caved in, went to church Takelababy 24 784 23-11-2013 10:19 PM
Last Post: Takelababy
  A Visit to my Former Church caramel 4 164 17-11-2013 07:26 AM
Last Post: caramel