Church of England set for zero growth for next 30 years

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-02-2016, 09:19 AM
Church of England set for zero growth for next 30 years
And that's being optimistic!!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion...ts.html?=1

Is it any wonder why the state church clings so fiercely to its privileges, including control of so many of our publicly funded schools?

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Silly Deity's post
18-02-2016, 10:03 AM
RE: Church of England set for zero growth for next 30 years
(18-02-2016 09:19 AM)Silly Deity Wrote:  And that's being optimistic!!

Is it any wonder why the state church clings so fiercely to its privileges, including control of so many of our publicly funded schools?

Maybe what they need to do is go full-on anti-Islam, move their school curriculum to an anti-terrorist agenda, and fund some paramilitary groups.
Y'know, take a page from the Catholic Church's playbook that worked so well in Ireland. Consider

[/satire]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
18-02-2016, 10:15 AM
They could try praying ...

Edit: OK I was joking but this is exactly what they said

Quote:"Should we simply accept that we will not have ministers of the right quality and background and therefore accept that retreat is inevitable?

"Of course not. We need to steadily, faithfully pray and work to call workers to the harvest. "
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post
18-02-2016, 11:05 AM
(18-02-2016 10:03 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(18-02-2016 09:19 AM)Silly Deity Wrote:  And that's being optimistic!!

Maybe what they need to do is go full-on anti-Islam, move their school curriculum to an anti-terrorist agenda, and fund some paramilitary groups.
Y'know, take a page from the Catholic Church's playbook that worked so well in Ireland. Consider

[/satire]

That reminds me of a joke Christopher Hitchens liked to tell.

A journalist, researching for an article on the complex political situation in Northern Ireland, was in a pub in a war-torn area of Belfast. One of his potential informants leaned over his pint of Guinness and suspiciously cross-examined the journalist: "Are you a Catholic or a Protestant?" the Irishman asked.

"Neither," replied the journalist; "I'm an atheist."

The Irishman, not content with this answer, put a further question: "Ah, but are you a Catholic atheist or a Protestant atheist?"

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 6 users Like Can_of_Beans's post
18-02-2016, 11:08 AM
Banana_zorroClap
Banana_zorroClap
Banana_zorroClap
Banana_zorroClap

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post
18-02-2016, 11:11 AM
What is remarkable is that they appear to think that by recruiting some younger clergy they'll be able to relate to youngsters and turn things around in 30 years time.

I've yet to meet a "young" clergyman - and by that I mean anyone under 40 - who has the slightest idea of being credible to teenagers or anyone in their 20's. They are mostly deeply dull, deeply earnest and desperately naive.

Of course in 30 years time those new "with-it" priests will be in their 50s and 60s.

I think we can see where this is going.

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
[+] 2 users Like Silly Deity's post
18-02-2016, 11:35 AM
There's a part of me that's kinda conflicted about this:
Church of England is definitely one of the more harmless Protestant churches: charitable, progressive, not very political, no longer very proselytizing etc.
It's the kind of religion I can live with.
If they are losing younger members because the youngsters are turning atheist, great!
I just hope that they aren't losing younger members to more hardline churches, 'cause that would be worse.
Ideally, I would love to see the CoE gain members from the hardliners, and then quietly fizzle away ...

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom
[+] 2 users Like Reducetarian's post
18-02-2016, 05:22 PM
It's funny, I've been seeing commercials lately begging people to come back to the church. They know they're in trouble!! Laughat

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 1 user Likes Smercury44's post
18-02-2016, 05:50 PM
Could you guys in the UK send us folks on the other side of the pond a few pints of whatever it is you are doing right?

OTOH, my take is that being deeply religious may be hereditary, and all the really crazy ones went to the proto-US and spawned. This would have left fewer of the religious crazies in Europe. Just a thought? Probably not true, but it makes for a good story.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
18-02-2016, 05:55 PM
(18-02-2016 11:35 AM)Reducetarian Wrote:  There's a part of me that's kinda conflicted about this:
Church of England is definitely one of the more harmless Protestant churches: charitable, progressive, not very political, no longer very proselytizing etc.
It's the kind of religion I can live with.
If they are losing younger members because the youngsters are turning atheist, great!
I just hope that they aren't losing younger members to more hardline churches, 'cause that would be worse.
Ideally, I would love to see the CoE gain members from the hardliners, and then quietly fizzle away ...

I think it's the moderates that are leaving the church. They don't much care one way or another and now the pressure to participate s waning they are dropping out. Which only leaves the more extremists to make up the majority. Not a good thing at all.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post