Church of England set for zero growth for next 30 years

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-02-2016, 06:04 PM
RE: Church of England set for zero growth for next 30 years
(18-02-2016 05:50 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Could you guys in the UK send us folks on the other side of the pond a few pints of whatever it is you are doing right?

OTOH, my take is that being deeply religious may be hereditary, and all the really crazy ones went to the proto-US and spawned. This would have left fewer of the religious crazies in Europe. Just a thought? Probably not true, but it makes for a good story.

If you think memetics and not genetics, you have a good argument.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-02-2016, 07:01 PM
(18-02-2016 06:04 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(18-02-2016 05:50 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Could you guys in the UK send us folks on the other side of the pond a few pints of whatever it is you are doing right?

OTOH, my take is that being deeply religious may be hereditary, and all the really crazy ones went to the proto-US and spawned. This would have left fewer of the religious crazies in Europe. Just a thought? Probably not true, but it makes for a good story.

If you think memetics and not genetics, you have a good argument.

I was thinking heredity, but you make a good point. I'll have to to a little research. I know very little about memes and their transmission, though I did read something about it from Dawkins or somebody. If I read it from Dawkins, I should have the book, still.
Find all posts by this user
18-02-2016, 08:16 PM
(18-02-2016 07:01 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(18-02-2016 06:04 PM)Chas Wrote:  If you think memetics and not genetics, you have a good argument.

I was thinking heredity, but you make a good point. I'll have to to a little research. I know very little about memes and their transmission, though I did read something about it from Dawkins or somebody. If I read it from Dawkins, I should have the book, still.

Well, simply put, the people whose minds housed the ideas (memes) of radical protestant religion left English society for the Colonies.

So those ideas had less hold in the mother country and the infection found hosts and freedom to propagate in the new society.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-02-2016, 09:36 PM
(18-02-2016 08:16 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(18-02-2016 07:01 PM)Fireball Wrote:  I was thinking heredity, but you make a good point. I'll have to to a little research. I know very little about memes and their transmission, though I did read something about it from Dawkins or somebody. If I read it from Dawkins, I should have the book, still.

Well, simply put, the people whose minds housed the ideas (memes) of radical protestant religion left English society for the Colonies.

So those ideas had less hold in the mother country and the infection found hosts and freedom to propagate in the new society.

BAM! I totally agree. How can we get this pestilential religious phenomenon out of my country? It's making us look like a laughingstock to the rest of the world (well, besides the Islamic stripe of religion), notwithstanding the psychological harm to the populace. Dammitol.
18-02-2016, 11:51 PM
Quote:He said: "Should we simply accept that we will not have ministers of the right quality and background and therefore accept that retreat is inevitable?

Do what the catholics did. Recruit perverts.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
23-02-2016, 02:34 PM
Rather, get ordinary introverts and deny them sex the rest of their lives....sort of like Islam does.....

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" -Epicurus (341-270B.C.E.)