Church tax

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-02-2016, 05:07 AM
RE: Church tax
(16-02-2016 02:14 AM)FreeBeer Wrote:  Dodgy apparently I'm supposed to pay church tax (which is not that much). The only way to avoid this is to officially renounce one's religion, which would be just fine by me Confused, but I guess you guys know whats coming...

I looked at this as a opportunity to officially come out as atheist and out of principle I do not wish to financially contribute to the problem as well as continue with "going through the motions".

While my parents are just fine with me and my brother being atheists and they themselves being closet atheists, it will come as a shock to my grandparents who are VERY religious, and I have been advised not to cause them stress as they are rather ancient (over 80) and physically fragile.

My parents are also uncomfortable with me declaring that I have no faith. This is understandable considering how religious society here really is on the surface, despite many ppl being closet atheists themselves. Basically ppl go to church, send their kids to Sunday school and so on, but most ppl below 60 do not really believe, its just "going through the motions". Most of the kids are the same, which is why the church mainly has old ppl visiting. (yeah its dying, sort of) Despite this atheism is frowned upon..wtf.

It is still seen as a stigma to openly declare one is atheist, sort of like painting a target on one's forehead. (but I don't see whats the point as I already openly say to ppl who inquire that I don't believe)

The matter is also a bit complicated as the priest and his family are kind of "family friends" of some sorts and not paying church tax would mean I can't get buried in the cemetery. To be honest I don't really care what happens to my corpse, however I don't want to make life needlessly complicated for my family just in case I die.

For the above reasons I am considering just paying that yearly small tax and not stirring up the waters...for now.

Tongue got any advice ?

Become a buddhist. Smile

Church tax? Fuck them!

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
17-02-2016, 08:32 AM (This post was last modified: 17-02-2016 08:40 AM by FreeBeer.)
(17-02-2016 05:07 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Become a buddhist. Smile

Church tax? Fuck them!

Consider Well, thus far Buddhist principles have been useful, but I don't see the need... I like the idea of just being a non believer, because that is basically what I am. (meditation is nice tho)

You see, while Christians refer to themselves as sheep Dodgy I always considered myself more of a cat. I'm not good at being a follower, I tend to question and "argue", have a disruptive influence on groups and like to go my own way. Even if there would be Secular Buddhists here (there are none), I probably would not join (maybe hang out with them tho). ^^ I like many things about Buddhism. Thumbsup

I wonder if many atheists are kinda similar to this...

Talking with the other atheist guy on how to manage this church business here. Either way I'd have to renounce the church since I went through confirmation.

“Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't.” ― Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes FreeBeer's post
17-02-2016, 08:34 AM
Quote: I'm pretty sure my grandmother will slap me and issue
threats (what she did when her son declared atheism),

That's called Assault & Battery.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
17-02-2016, 08:52 AM
(17-02-2016 08:34 AM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  
Quote: I'm pretty sure my grandmother will slap me and issue
threats (what she did when her son declared atheism),

That's called Assault & Battery.

^^; well she has always been a pious hypocritical old bat...reminds me of Hillary tbh..

[Image: 9d30571a45c471a23ab994bc9df09e3e.jpg]

“Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't.” ― Mark Twain
17-02-2016, 08:58 AM

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
21-02-2016, 06:31 AM
Wow, a church tax! Things have changed since I first visited your country just after the revolution in order to help improve the orphanages and mentor nursing staff. Things were pretty secular back then, I'm guessing greater freedom has caused a resurgence of religiosity.
21-02-2016, 08:03 AM
(16-02-2016 02:14 AM)FreeBeer Wrote:  The matter is also a bit complicated as the priest and his family are kind of "family friends" of some sorts and not paying church tax would mean I can't get buried in the cemetery.

To steal a Yogi Berra line:

When his wife asked Yogi where he wanted to be buried he replied, “Surprise me”.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
21-02-2016, 08:06 AM
(16-02-2016 02:14 AM)FreeBeer Wrote:  Dodgy apparently I'm supposed to pay church tax (which is not that much). The only way to avoid this is to officially renounce one’s religion, which would be just fine by me Confused, but I guess you guys know whats coming...

Tongue got any advice ?

Can you get away from giving say Venezuelan Bolivars in an unmarked envelope when the collection platter comes around? Evil_monster

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
24-02-2016, 03:21 PM
People who are in their 80's have been around the block more than a few times. They are not as emotionally fragile as people would like to believe. It's your money, do with it as you please.
25-02-2016, 08:19 PM
I would just come out and declare yourself an atheist. Your grandparents have no control over your life or what you believe in. Neither does your community or your neighbors. If they don't like it, they don't deserve you.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ