Church vs Government - Who's more violent?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-02-2015, 10:47 PM
RE: Church vs Government - Who's more violent?
(17-02-2015 05:31 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  I&I..?

Consider

Next

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-02-2015, 10:55 PM
(17-02-2015 10:43 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Church is voluntary. Government is compulsory.

Meanwhile, in pretty much all of history's theocracies...

Isn't a theocracy just government? and aren't all governments just individuals controlling other individuals against their will?
17-02-2015, 11:27 PM
Not paying your taxes to a government on which you are completely and utterly dependent for your survival is a rational reason to charge you with a crime.

And a government is not a tangible object or sentient being. Even the most restrictive, non-democratic governments are simply organizations of individuals who set that government up due to the fact that societies in anarchy inevitably face a fate much worse than taxes. To say that individuals are governed against their will is to oversimplify the concept of what government is.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
17-02-2015, 11:29 PM
(17-02-2015 10:55 PM)Anti Wrote:  
(17-02-2015 10:43 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Church is voluntary. Government is compulsory.

Meanwhile, in pretty much all of history's theocracies...

Isn't a theocracy just government? and aren't all governments just individuals controlling other individuals against their will?

A theocracy is a state in which there is no functional difference between the church and the government; they are one in the same: the ruling body, usually religious officials, sit in governmental capacity and act on church doctrine.

And no, all governments aren't individuals being 'controlled against their will', unless you intend on redefining dictatorships and autocracies to include democracies.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
17-02-2015, 11:38 PM
"And no, all governments aren't individuals being 'controlled against their will', unless you intend on redefining dictatorships and autocracies to include democracies"
--- Aren't all your examples considered different forms of government?

So what is the difference if religious people are controlling everyone else against their will or millionaire white guys?

Has there ever been a 'government' anywhere at anytime in history that did not have compulsory taxes and forced people to pay them?
17-02-2015, 11:43 PM
(17-02-2015 11:38 PM)Anti Wrote:  Has there ever been a 'government' anywhere at anytime in history that did not have compulsory taxes and forced people to pay them?

The U.S. originally gave its states the right to decide whether or not they'd like to pay taxes. They all decided not to, and that lasted all of about two minutes. Alas, a nation cannot exist without funding, and the law had to be modified.

'Murican Canadian
17-02-2015, 11:49 PM (This post was last modified: 17-02-2015 11:53 PM by yakherder.)
And I suppose Somalia was, for a time, theoretically tax free after the government collapsed.

Churches need funding to run. Governments need funding to run. The people who use their services, whether by requirement or choice, must provide that funding.

The issue is that a government is a necessary entity, while a church is a waste of resources.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 3 users Like yakherder's post
18-02-2015, 12:26 AM
(17-02-2015 11:49 PM)yakherder Wrote:  while a church is a waste of resources.

Some of them look nice... and in the past they were focal points of the community surrounding... (still are in a lot of places). Religion's not bad bad from a social cohesion point of view - just for the individual who's beyond the pale it can be a bit awkward... y'know, getting burnt at the stake and all...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
18-02-2015, 06:31 AM
Nah, I think FT got it, Luminon.

[Image: oscar.png]
18-02-2015, 06:51 AM
(18-02-2015 06:31 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Nah, I think FT got it, Luminon.

Say what?

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.