Church vs Government - Who's more violent?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-02-2015, 11:17 AM
RE: Church vs Government - Who's more violent?
I've yet to have anyone from the government threaten me with eternal hell fire if I don't show up at city hall once a week and kneel to a statue.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-02-2015, 11:29 AM
(17-02-2015 07:53 AM)Anti Wrote:  Some seem to have issues with recognizing violence.

Why do you care what anyone thinks? Why the hypocrisy?
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
18-02-2015, 03:52 PM
(18-02-2015 11:17 AM)CleverUsername Wrote:  I've yet to have anyone from the government threaten me with eternal hell fire if I don't show up at city hall once a week and kneel to a statue.

...and yet government will threaten and use physical violence against you if you do not obey any edict they make. Wouldnt you rather be threatened in the afterlife that threatened in the present-life?
18-02-2015, 04:02 PM
(18-02-2015 03:52 PM)Anti Wrote:  
(18-02-2015 11:17 AM)CleverUsername Wrote:  I've yet to have anyone from the government threaten me with eternal hell fire if I don't show up at city hall once a week and kneel to a statue.

...and yet government will threaten and use physical violence against you if you do not obey any edict they make. Wouldnt you rather be threatened in the afterlife that threatened in the present-life?

Pffftt. Is eternal damnation in a supposed afterlife really comparable to a mere life in prison at most?

That's not all: we have a government to enforce what society perceives as just law rather than a supposed deity punishing people with death and damnation or unjust punishments lasting through generations.

And the last nail? Your God doesn't exist to us so why do we abide to biblical law?
18-02-2015, 04:03 PM
Just out of curiosity, what's your fucking point?

What is it about this forum that compels this indirect, passive aggressive bullshit? If you have an actual point to make here, just make it. This faux questions/comparisons is already getting old, and you've only done it twice so far.

So, just save us all the guesswork, state your fucking point, and move on.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 5 users Like BnW's post
18-02-2015, 04:24 PM
(18-02-2015 04:02 PM)Kaepora Gaebora Wrote:  
(18-02-2015 03:52 PM)Anti Wrote:  ...and yet government will threaten and use physical violence against you if you do not obey any edict they make. Wouldnt you rather be threatened in the afterlife that threatened in the present-life?

Pffftt. Is eternal damnation in a supposed afterlife really comparable to a mere life in prison at most?

That's not all: we have a government to enforce what society perceives as just law rather than a supposed deity punishing people with death and damnation or unjust punishments lasting through generations.

And the last nail? Your God doesn't exist to us so why do we abide to biblical law?

So its ok for some people to initiate real physical violence against others in the now if they call themselves a 'government' but its just not ok in the afterlife. That makes so much sense. thanks.

... and what 'god' of mine are you talking about?
18-02-2015, 04:26 PM
(18-02-2015 04:03 PM)BnW Wrote:  Just out of curiosity, what's your fucking point?

Isn't the title of this topic pretty clear?
18-02-2015, 04:34 PM
Yes, but it has nothing to do with whatever point you're trying to make. You clearly have a point of vie on this. So, state it and see if anyone wants to debate or discuss.

This passive aggressive game where you hide behind a question and play sniper at people's comments doesn't really inspire anyone to want to engage you. What it does is convey a strong image of "douchebag". We've all been down this road before.

So, if you have something to say, just say it. Because, what you're doing now is just picking a fight.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 1 user Likes BnW's post
18-02-2015, 04:38 PM
(18-02-2015 04:34 PM)BnW Wrote:  Yes, but it has nothing to do with whatever point you're trying to make. You clearly have a point of vie on this. So, state it and see if anyone wants to debate or discuss.

This passive aggressive game where you hide behind a question and play sniper at people's comments doesn't really inspire anyone to want to engage you.

So, if you have something to say, just say it. Because, what you're doing now is just picking a fight.

I didn't realize I was playing hiding behind questions and snipering. I thought asking questions was an attempt to gather more information.
18-02-2015, 04:58 PM
(17-02-2015 07:53 AM)Anti Wrote:  Some seem to have issues with recognizing violence.

No church has ever forced me into one of their buildings or forced me to give them money. Churches just pass around a basket on weekends for voluntary donations from their voluntary attendees. Can you say that about the 'government?'

Didn't you ever hear of the IRS? or the compulsory date of April 15th? If you don't hand over your money to the 'government' when they demand it then the escalation of violence will continue until finally men with guns with hunt you down.

Church is voluntary. Government is compulsory.

Governments build and maintain infrastructure, educational establishments, medical resources, etc. There will always be human greed and corruption involved... But you're getting SOMETHING for your money.

Religious institutions build other religious institutions in far away places that will never benefit you, and wouldn't benefit those nearby as much as a school or hospital would. They will gladly take your money and you'll get nothing but promises and a vigorous brain washing.

Government and religion are not inherently violent, but they've both had violent tendencies; The parts that make up a religion or a government may be violent. Supporting the maintenance of ones country is mandatory, so suck it up. Supporting religion is not mandatory. Anyone who would ever willingly combine them is massively stupid.