Church won't bury gay people

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-08-2014, 02:56 PM
RE: Church won't bury gay people
Link

This reminds me of a recent controversy here in Newfoundland. A man wrote on his blog published by the Herald some very homophobic things. The original article can be found here.

Obviously what he wrote is wrong and no words exist than can express the necessary harshness of the condemnation this deserves. But the man still should have the right to say it. LGBT groups are now trying to get this guy tried for hate speech. I completely agree that what he said is inexcusable and horrible, but he still has the right to say it. Hate speech laws restrict free speech.

If you really need to get the message across maybe you could boycott the Herald (something I would glad join in on). You could protest and let your voices be heard. Silencing someone is wrong no matter how horrible what they said is.

A similar principle applies here. Of course not burying a gay person is wrong, but forcing this church to bury him would be wrong too. I just hope no one here is going to argue they should be forced to bury him.

Paleoliberal • English Nationalist • Zionist • Rightist • Anti-Islam • Neoconservative • Republican • Linguistic Revivalist and Purist

Happily Divorced from the Left!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Res Publica's post
10-08-2014, 03:06 PM
(10-08-2014 01:37 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  This is so low. Just.....I donno....Angry

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/08/08...tail=email

Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't turning away a fellow person in need(especially at this particular time) be more immoral and sinful than him being gay. Aren't they suppose to hate the SIN not the SINNER?

Also, this man was married for 17 years...he loved his husband for 17 years. No divorce or anything. He seemed to be in better standing than possible the majority of the members in that church.
10-08-2014, 03:13 PM
It would be virtually impossible to force a church to bury them.

(10-08-2014 02:56 PM)Res Publica Wrote:  Link

This reminds me of a recent controversy here in Newfoundland. A man wrote on his blog published by the Herald some very homophobic things. The original article can be found here.

Obviously what he wrote is wrong and no words exist than can express the necessary harshness of the condemnation this deserves. But the man still should have the right to say it. LGBT groups are now trying to get this guy tried for hate speech. I completely agree that what he said is inexcusable and horrible, but he still has the right to say it. Hate speech laws restrict free speech.

If you really need to get the message across maybe you could boycott the Herald (something I would glad join in on). You could protest and let your voices be heard. Silencing someone is wrong no matter how horrible what they said is.

A similar principle applies here. Of course not burying a gay person is wrong, but forcing this church to bury him would be wrong too. I just hope no one here is going to argue they should be forced to bury him.

[Image: vcrzu1.jpg]
10-08-2014, 09:26 PM
Hardest part of reading this article was the comments at the end. Scary stuff.
10-08-2014, 10:46 PM
Bottom line, they have a right to decline to bury people on their "holy" ground... provided, of course, there wasn't a contract that they then backed out of.

That's the only real problem I have with this story. The bigotry is awful, but then, these are Christians, and what's more, Baptists. Awful bigotry from that quarter scarcely raises my eyebrows anymore. What sucks is that they waited until the last minute (well, last day) before flip-flopping with all the moral integrity of a wet noodle.

Oh well. Time to spread the news that churches can't be trusted to keep their word when it comes to important ceremonies. Fool us once, shame on them, fool us twice... well, if you didn't take the warning and go get a secular plot, then the joke's on you.

It's still awful. But it's like buying the cheapest jalopy at the crookedest used car dealer in town and then being surprised that it's a lemon. Trusting churches for major life events like this if you're not one of the in-crowd is just dumb.

(10-08-2014 09:26 PM)josepiedaly Wrote:  Hardest part of reading this article was the comments at the end. Scary stuff.

You read the comments?

At the end of a news article about religion vs minorities?

Oh you poor, damned fool...
11-08-2014, 06:24 AM
(10-08-2014 10:46 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  Bottom line, they have a right to decline to bury people on their "holy" ground... provided, of course, there wasn't a contract that they then backed out of.

That's the only real problem I have with this story. The bigotry is awful, but then, these are Christians, and what's more, Baptists. Awful bigotry from that quarter scarcely raises my eyebrows anymore. What sucks is that they waited until the last minute (well, last day) before flip-flopping with all the moral integrity of a wet noodle.

Oh well. Time to spread the news that churches can't be trusted to keep their word when it comes to important ceremonies. Fool us once, shame on them, fool us twice... well, if you didn't take the warning and go get a secular plot, then the joke's on you.

It's still awful. But it's like buying the cheapest jalopy at the crookedest used car dealer in town and then being surprised that it's a lemon. Trusting churches for major life events like this if you're not one of the in-crowd is just dumb.

(10-08-2014 09:26 PM)josepiedaly Wrote:  Hardest part of reading this article was the comments at the end. Scary stuff.

You read the comments?

Fool maybe, not dammed.
11-08-2014, 07:19 AM
Make a big enough donation, and the church will bury anybody. They told families of famous gangsters like Al Capone that they would not bury them. They changed their minds when the families made generous donations. Who would have thought that the church would go back on its morals for money?

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes WindyCityJazz's post
11-08-2014, 08:53 AM
(11-08-2014 06:24 AM)josepiedaly Wrote:  
(10-08-2014 10:46 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  Bottom line, they have a right to decline to bury people on their "holy" ground... provided, of course, there wasn't a contract that they then backed out of.

You read the comments?

Fool maybe, not dammed.

Damned to hell? No. Damned to the madness of the comments section? Yes.
11-08-2014, 09:08 AM
(11-08-2014 08:53 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  
(11-08-2014 06:24 AM)josepiedaly Wrote:  Fool maybe, not dammed.

Damned to hell? No. Damned to the madness of the comments section? Yes.

You have to see these comments. There really is crazy people out there.
11-08-2014, 10:11 AM
So what if some church don't want to bury a gay person. What difference does it make really? I mean what person wants to be buried by a group that hates them? Shouldn't a church decide who they will and will not bury?
Im not gay but I for one don't really care who buries me and what they do or say about me because I'll be dead. I don't understand why anyone cares.