Church youth group kid begs for handouts, film at 11.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-03-2013, 09:13 AM
Church youth group kid begs for handouts, film at 11.
A kid ran up to me while I was crossing the parking lot at Target, asking for money to help him go on a trip with a church youth group. I can't afford to give to any kind of charity right now, but I inwardly cringed as soon as he said 'church youth group'. I thought, after the fact, that I ought to have expressed concern that he was part of a church group. "Oh, dear, I'm sorry to hear that, that you're in a church group. Do you think it's too late to get out? You can be your own person, you know, think for yourself. Ah well. Have a nice day, then." On balance it seems like it'd be a jerky thing to say, but I get wound up about these things. One of Seth's recent programs dealt with the indoctrination of children, and that episode made my blood boil. I won't go off on that topic just at the moment. The kid, after I told him as politely as I could, "No, sorry, I can't help you," went dashing, literally running, across the parking lot to a van which had just parked, to beg them for money too. (Gonna start getting annoyed here, what with the non-taxpaying nature of churches and the evil they spread et cetera et cetera...) Kinda pathetic to watch.

Also, I sometimes don't post things like this 'cos I think they're maybe kinda jerky or I'm not sure which topic to put them in. I guess I'm not convinced anybody wants to read what I have to say -- a side-effect of the anger I have toward such topics and the responses I've gotten over the last few years I've been a non-believer.

"The amazing thing is that every atom in your body came from a star that exploded. ... So, forget Jesus. The stars died so that you could be here today." -- Lawrence Krauss
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like calmblueocean's post
13-03-2013, 09:25 AM
RE: Church youth group kid begs for handouts, film at 11.
It's absolutely irritating...but it's really no worse than the old salvation army guy outside of Walmart or the girl scouts hustling people for overpriced cookies and donuts. However, it does tend to piss me off worse because they are just begging rather than holding a fundraiser like the other groups I've mentioned. And to have children out bumming rather than adults is just pathetic.

~Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned.~
[+] 1 user Likes kellyrm's post
13-03-2013, 09:27 AM
RE: Church youth group kid begs for handouts, film at 11.
(13-03-2013 09:13 AM)calmblueocean Wrote:  A kid ran up to me while I was crossing the parking lot at Target, asking for money to help him go on a trip with a church youth group. I can't afford to give to any kind of charity right now, but I inwardly cringed as soon as he said 'church youth group'. I thought, after the fact, that I ought to have expressed concern that he was part of a church group. "Oh, dear, I'm sorry to hear that, that you're in a church group. Do you think it's too late to get out? You can be your own person, you know, think for yourself. Ah well. Have a nice day, then." On balance it seems like it'd be a jerky thing to say, but I get wound up about these things. One of Seth's recent programs dealt with the indoctrination of children, and that episode made my blood boil. I won't go off on that topic just at the moment. The kid, after I told him as politely as I could, "No, sorry, I can't help you," went dashing, literally running, across the parking lot to a van which had just parked, to beg them for money too. (Gonna start getting annoyed here, what with the non-taxpaying nature of churches and the evil they spread et cetera et cetera...) Kinda pathetic to watch.

Also, I sometimes don't post things like this 'cos I think they're maybe kinda jerky or I'm not sure which topic to put them in. I guess I'm not convinced anybody wants to read what I have to say -- a side-effect of the anger I have toward such topics and the responses I've gotten over the last few years I've been a non-believer.
Yup, that kind of thing ticks me off too. With all the collections these churches take, they couldn't come up with their own money for their kids? Or how about the parents footing the bill for their kids' trip?

In fact the whole subject about churches and money can get my blood boiling. There's a Catholic church one block away from my neighborhood. I walk my dog by it every night and I jog by it every morning. We have watering restrictions due to a water shortage right now and no one is supposed to water their lawn more than once per week. Yet, this church has its sprinklers on from 10:00 PM to 7:00 AM 4 nights per week! I figured out their water bill must be around $5,000-$6,000 per month! If they would only save that money by actually obeying the law, I wonder how many poor people that could feed. Dodgy Plus it annoys the heck out of me because the sprinklers cross the sidewalk to water the grass strip too so I always have to cross to the other side this very busy road just to walk or jog in that direction both in the morning and in the evening.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair