Churh financials

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-05-2013, 07:41 AM
RE: Churh financials
...And? Paul spoke of an end-of-the-age decline in religious tradition and godly adherence. This happens as Israel is a Jewish nation again awaiting her Messiah.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-05-2013, 07:54 AM
(02-05-2013 01:41 AM)Egor Wrote:  I'm curious Fmanh2, what is the New Age movement like in Sweden? Is there much of that?

Unfortunately it is a live and kicking. But it still just a tiny minority that's dealing with it (in the single percentage I would say). Its hard to track down explicitly as there are no hard boundaries and the level of participation is hard to measure. But yes, there is a tiny market for selling Crystals, amulets and other stuff of that type. There are also market for astrology and taro reading. But nothing major, and not widely accepted.

Pseudo sciences like homoeopathy exists but not to any higher degree.

Hopefully it will continue to be that way, most people seems to be sane and level headed after all. One should keep in mind that the Nordic countries in general relies heavily on knowledge. Finland, Sweden and Norway contribute over 3% of the world gross production, in relation to just having roughly 18 million inhabitants... We wouldn't do that by looking in to crystal bowls.
02-05-2013, 07:56 AM
(02-05-2013 07:41 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  ...And? Paul spoke of an end-of-the-age decline in religious tradition and godly adherence. This happens as Israel is a Jewish nation again awaiting her Messiah.

Isnt it always the end times... :-)
[+] 3 users Like fmanh2's post
02-05-2013, 10:46 AM
Its been the end of time for 2000 years now as prophets (e.g. charlatans) need the dire prediction to scare the impressionable out of their money.
[+] 2 users Like devilsadvoc8's post
02-05-2013, 08:27 PM
(02-05-2013 07:41 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  ...And? Paul spoke of an end-of-the-age decline in religious tradition and godly adherence. This happens as Israel is a Jewish nation again awaiting her Messiah.

WRONG! Paul was talking about the here and now, which is now nearly 2000 years ago.

Paul taught that Christ was going to come back to earth soon:
“For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.” (1 Thess. 4; 16–18, KJV). A few years later, in about 53 CE, Christ still hadn’t come, but Paul kept his congregations primed:
"Brothers this is what I mean: our time is growing short. Those who have wives should live as though they had none, and those who mourn should live as though they had nothing to mourn for; those who are enjoying life should live as though there were nothing to laugh about; those whose life is buying things should live as though they had nothing of their own; and those who have to deal with the world should not become engrossed in it. I say this because the world as we know it is passing away" (1 Cor. 7:29–31, NJB). Ten years later Paul was still preaching that the end of the world was approaching, and then he passed on.

Paul was the ringleader of a doomsday cult (http://www.philipharland.com/Blog/2006/1...w-nt-26/). His communities lived in daily expectation of the return of Christ and the end of their earthly existence.

Two thousand years later, the earth is still circling around the sun and Christ hasn’t reappeared, so Paul’s predictions have been proven untrue.

I don’t think he really believed the world was about to end. I suspect it was an idea he promoted to give his messages more impact.

In modern times cult leaders like Paul have forecast that fabulous or cataclysmic events are about to happen, such as the destruction of the earth, or the reappearance of Jesus. Their agenda has been to create anticipation and be the center of attention, or to make money. None of their forecasts have ever come to fruition.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-05-2013, 01:50 PM
(02-05-2013 08:27 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  

WRONG! Paul was talking about the here and now, which is now nearly 2000 years ago.

“For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.” (1 Thess. 4; 16–18, KJV). A few years later, in about 53 CE, Christ still hadn’t come, but Paul kept his congregations primed:
"Brothers this is what I mean: our time is growing short. Those who have wives should live as though they had none, and those who mourn should live as though they had nothing to mourn for; those who are enjoying life should live as though there were nothing to laugh about; those whose life is buying things should live as though they had nothing of their own; and those who have to deal with the world should not become engrossed in it. I say this because the world as we know it is passing away" (1 Cor. 7:29–31, NJB). Ten years later Paul was still preaching that the end of the world was approaching, and then he passed on.

Paul was the ringleader of a doomsday cult (http://www.philipharland.com/Blog/2006/1...w-nt-26/). His communities lived in daily expectation of the return of Christ and the end of their earthly existence.

Two thousand years later, the earth is still circling around the sun and Christ hasn’t reappeared, so Paul’s predictions have been proven untrue.

I don’t think he really believed the world was about to end. I suspect it was an idea he promoted to give his messages more impact.

In modern times cult leaders like Paul have forecast that fabulous or cataclysmic events are about to happen, such as the destruction of the earth, or the reappearance of Jesus. Their agenda has been to create anticipation and be the center of attention, or to make money. None of their forecasts have ever come to fruition.

Paul was not heading a doomsday group. The letters of 1 & 2 Thessalonians was written to refute those who looked for an imminent eschaton:

2 Thess 2: "Concerning the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and our being gathered to him, we ask you, brothers and sisters, 2 not to become easily unsettled or alarmed by the teaching allegedly from us—whether by a prophecy or by word of mouth or by letter—asserting that the day of the Lord has already come. 3 Don’t let anyone deceive you in any way, for that day will not come until the rebellion occurs and the man of lawlessness[a] is revealed, the man doomed to destruction. 4 He will oppose and will exalt himself over everything that is called God or is worshiped, so that he sets himself up in God’s temple, proclaiming himself to be God.

5 Don’t you remember that when I was with you I used to tell you these things? 6 And now you know what is holding him back, so that he may be revealed at the proper time. 7 For the secret power of lawlessness is already at work; but the one who now holds it back will continue to do so till he is taken out of the way. 8 And then the lawless one will be revealed, whom the Lord Jesus will overthrow with the breath of his mouth and destroy by the splendor of his coming. 9 The coming of the lawless one will be in accordance with how Satan works. He will use all sorts of displays of power through signs and wonders that serve the lie, 10 and all the ways that wickedness deceives those who are perishing. They perish because they refused to love the truth and so be saved. 11 For this reason God sends them a powerful delusion so that they will believe the lie 12 and so that all will be condemned who have not believed the truth but have delighted in wickedness."

And both Paul and Peter proclaimed their own martydoms and said the eschaton would not be yet...
05-05-2013, 12:43 PM
(03-05-2013 01:50 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  
(02-05-2013 08:27 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  WRONG! Paul was talking about the here and now, which is now nearly 2000 years ago.

Paul was not heading a doomsday group. The letters of 1 & 2 Thessalonians was written to refute those who looked for an imminent eschaton:

2 Thess 2: "Concerning the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and our being gathered to him, we ask you, brothers and sisters, 2 not to become easily unsettled or alarmed by the teaching allegedly from us—whether by a prophecy or by word of mouth or by letter—asserting that the day of the Lord has already come. 3 Don’t let anyone deceive you in any way, for that day will not come until the rebellion occurs and the man of lawlessness[a] is revealed, the man doomed to destruction. 4 He will oppose and will exalt himself over everything that is called God or is worshiped, so that he sets himself up in God’s temple, proclaiming himself to be God.

5 Don’t you remember that when I was with you I used to tell you these things? 6 And now you know what is holding him back, so that he may be revealed at the proper time. 7 For the secret power of lawlessness is already at work; but the one who now holds it back will continue to do so till he is taken out of the way. 8 And then the lawless one will be revealed, whom the Lord Jesus will overthrow with the breath of his mouth and destroy by the splendor of his coming. 9 The coming of the lawless one will be in accordance with how Satan works. He will use all sorts of displays of power through signs and wonders that serve the lie, 10 and all the ways that wickedness deceives those who are perishing. They perish because they refused to love the truth and so be saved. 11 For this reason God sends them a powerful delusion so that they will believe the lie 12 and so that all will be condemned who have not believed the truth but have delighted in wickedness."

And both Paul and Peter proclaimed their own martydoms and said the eschaton would not be yet...

This was, well, just, weird...
[+] 1 user Likes fmanh2's post
05-05-2013, 05:24 PM
Religion in the US is just like any other business, whoever sell the message the best and to the biggest audience is the one that is going to rake in the most money. The only difference is that the churches don't pay taxes and cannot legally charge you for their services. This is one reason why Scientology has not been recognized as a legitimate religion.

Obama promised you change. Reach in your pocket, feel those coins? There's your change...
09-05-2013, 11:24 AM
And why is every one of you concerned with what free people do with their hard earned money of their own free will? Stop counting my money for me, please. I enjoy giving to the church, needy families, and evangelism efforts, and the Bible says "God loves a cheerful giver."

There is no forced tithe for Christians. They should give if they want to. Why is this a problem for you? Could it be jealousy of the wealthy wicked teachers who suck fools dry for money in the name of God?
09-05-2013, 11:43 AM
(09-05-2013 11:24 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  And why is every one of you concerned with what free people do with their hard earned money of their own free will? Stop counting my money for me, please. I enjoy giving to the church, needy families, and evangelism efforts, and the Bible says "God loves a cheerful giver."

There is no forced tithe for Christians. They should give if they want to. Why is this a problem for you? Could it be jealousy of the wealthy wicked teachers who suck fools dry for money in the name of God?

I can't speak for others but from my perspective, I have no problems whatever with how you spend your money... with one caveat. That being that you do no harm to others in the process and that caveat stands for all people, theist or atheist, rich or poor, white or black, skinny or fat... you get the point.

And you're correct, there is no forced tithing. At least none that's codified. What there is though, is ostracization, which is arguably a more powerful force than even the guns of the state.

When used properly, it can stop people from acting out violent or destructive urges but it can also be used improperly, as in the case of religion.

Hop on over to the Support forum and read some of the experiences people have had with religious ostracization. It's brutal, it's damaging and it is no less a crime than assault.

In fact, it is worse than assault in most cases, because it is originally inflicted upon children. And that's the point at which your fun breaks the caveat above. When you inflict your superstitious beliefs on helpless, innocent children you are committing a truly heinous mind crime.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb