Circle of the Earth

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-05-2016, 08:27 PM
RE: Circle of the Earth
(28-05-2016 08:23 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(28-05-2016 08:19 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  That's not what they taught me in cartography class.

I thought it just bulged in the middle a little bit. Tongue

That's the oblate. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
28-05-2016, 08:30 PM
(28-05-2016 08:26 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(28-05-2016 08:19 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  That's not what they taught me in cartography class.

That's because cartography deals with surfaces.

An oblate spheroid is a surface of revolution obtained by rotating an ellipse about its minor axis.

Well I'll be goddamned.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
28-05-2016, 10:32 PM
Daniel 4:10-11. The king "saw a tree of great height at the centre of the earth… reaching with its top to the sky and visible to the earth's farthest bounds." Only with a flat earth could a tall tree be visible from "the earth's farthest bounds"—obviously this is impossible on a spherical earth.

Isaiah 40:22: "He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth, and its people are like grasshoppers. He stretches out the heavens like a canopy, and spreads them out like a tent to live in." Scholars point out that Isaiah doesn't use the modern Hebrew word for sphere, kadur, anywhere.

Isaiah 11:12 "And he shall set up an ensign for the nations, and shall assemble the outcasts of Israel, and gather together the dispersed of Judah from the four corners of the earth. Only a flat, square earth could have corners—although theists argue that this denotes the four cardinal points of the compass (despite no recorded use of the compass in Western Europe until the early 13th century).

Revelation 7:1 "And after these things I saw four angels standing on four corners of the earth, holding the four winds of the earth, that the wind should not blow on the earth, nor on the sea, nor on any tree." But... Leviticus 19:27 refers to the "corners of the head", which could mean that the bible has no problem with using "corners" non-literally about round things?

Even the Qur'an claims the earth is flat...
Sura Al-Kahf [18:47] And (remember) the Day We shall cause the mountains to pass away (like clouds of dust), and you will see the earth as a levelled plain, and we shall gather them all together so as to leave not one of them behind.

Quote:"The earth is flat. Whoever claims it is round is an atheist deserving of punishment."
—Sheik Abdul-Aziz Ibn Baaz, supreme religious authority of Saudi Arabia, 1993.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
28-05-2016, 10:45 PM
(28-05-2016 08:30 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(28-05-2016 08:26 PM)Chas Wrote:  That's because cartography deals with surfaces.

An oblate spheroid is a surface of revolution obtained by rotating an ellipse about its minor axis.

Well I'll be goddamned.

You were that anyway.

Hang on! Don't you get the same shape if you rotate an ellipse about its minor axis as you would if you rotate an ellipse about its major axis?

Either way, you're both wrong. It's potato-oid

[Image: 1423694611390985.gif]

Drinking Beverage

29-05-2016, 04:44 PM
(28-05-2016 10:32 PM)SYZ Wrote:  Daniel 4:10-11. The king "saw a tree of great height at the centre of the earth… reaching with its top to the sky and visible to the earth's farthest bounds." Only with a flat earth could a tall tree be visible from "the earth's farthest bounds"—obviously this is impossible on a spherical earth.

Isaiah 40:22: "He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth, and its people are like grasshoppers. He stretches out the heavens like a canopy, and spreads them out like a tent to live in." Scholars point out that Isaiah doesn't use the modern Hebrew word for sphere, kadur, anywhere.

Isaiah 11:12 "And he shall set up an ensign for the nations, and shall assemble the outcasts of Israel, and gather together the dispersed of Judah from the four corners of the earth. Only a flat, square earth could have corners—although theists argue that this denotes the four cardinal points of the compass (despite no recorded use of the compass in Western Europe until the early 13th century).

Revelation 7:1 "And after these things I saw four angels standing on four corners of the earth, holding the four winds of the earth, that the wind should not blow on the earth, nor on the sea, nor on any tree." But... Leviticus 19:27 refers to the "corners of the head", which could mean that the bible has no problem with using "corners" non-literally about round things?

Even the Qur'an claims the earth is flat...
Sura Al-Kahf [18:47] And (remember) the Day We shall cause the mountains to pass away (like clouds of dust), and you will see the earth as a levelled plain, and we shall gather them all together so as to leave not one of them behind.

Quote:"The earth is flat. Whoever claims it is round is an atheist deserving of punishment."
—Sheik Abdul-Aziz Ibn Baaz, supreme religious authority of Saudi Arabia, 1993.

And those books are valid sources of information because...?

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
30-05-2016, 08:10 PM
(28-05-2016 10:45 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(28-05-2016 08:30 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Well I'll be goddamned.

You were that anyway.

Hang on! Don't you get the same shape if you rotate an ellipse about its minor axis as you would if you rotate an ellipse about its major axis?

No. Drinking Beverage

Quote:Either way, you're both wrong. It's potato-oid

[Image: 1423694611390985.gif]

Drinking Beverage

Idaho 'bout dat. Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
30-05-2016, 08:19 PM
(30-05-2016 08:10 PM)Chas Wrote:  Idaho 'bout dat. Dodgy

Chas, we already have a thread for puns.

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...lay?page=2

Angel

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
30-05-2016, 08:19 PM
(28-05-2016 07:48 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(28-05-2016 05:38 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  The earth is not spherical. It is ellipsoidal.

I believe it's actually an oblate spheroid. Consider

OK, What about what I heard in about 6th grade, that if the earth was the size of a basketball the highest mountains and any other irregularities would not be detectable by any instruments mankind had at their disposal? Maybe we have better instruments now if they can measure the average sea level to within 7 millimeters, but that far out of round that it would not be considered a sphere?
30-05-2016, 08:31 PM
(28-05-2016 08:23 PM)pablo Wrote:  

I thought it just bulged in the middle a little bit. Tongue

That was Chas you were thinking of.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
30-05-2016, 08:33 PM
(28-05-2016 03:53 PM)SkepticalDaniel Wrote:  Does the context of Isaiah 40:22 really mean a spherical earth? I keep pointing out to Christians that the word means Circle in Hebrew, and they keep saying, "but it could also mean sphere!" I really don't know what to say. Can you guys help me out?

It seems to be a circle, like the shape made by a compass because the same root word is used in Isaiah 44:13 in a passage about measurements. The analogy used here mentions a compass being used to make rounded edges.
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post