City or Country? – Which you prefer and why?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-11-2011, 06:51 AM

City or Country? – Which you prefer and why?
I feel guilty about slightly derailing Peterkin’s thread about “Sustainable Cities” by getting into an ‘exchange’ with Cantor about city versus country. Then I thought that this could be an interesting thread: people telling each other their preferences and their reasons for them.

I guess I should get it started.

I used to live in big cities during the first half of my life: Budapest, London, Stockholm, Helsinki, Toronto, LA and Toronto again.

Then I met my wife and one day she said: “…and, of course, you want to live in the country?…” Up to that time country was for the occasional weekend visit, nothing else.

That changed once I started thinking about it (the idea never occurred to me before). We started looking for land to build on and found these gorgeous 50 acres, mostly covered with bush, with a hilly terrain that included a pond, a stream, a ravine, a small woodlot and a beautiful cleared meadow with a view to the south.

We had the basic structure erected by Viceroy and then finished it ourselves, including plumbing, wiring, drywall, hardwood floor, wood paneling. One wall was all glass, looking south west, with a tall cathedral ceiling, hardly needed the wood-stove heating in winter.

We moved since then, farther from the city and now we live in an old schoolhouse with another house attached to it (that used to be the teacher’s residence), so we have plenty of room for all of our needs: even privacy from each other, when we need it. It was in very poor shape when we bought it and have done extensive repairs and improvements on it, over the last 17 years.

I love doing construction. I taught myself (the hard way) and have immense pleasure planning my next project and then collecting the material and putting it all together. Most of our building material is second-hand, comes very cheap from places like ‘Restore’ – a wonderful organization, owned by the “Habitat for Humanity” people.

You see, in the country you have elbow room, breathing space. People are not in your face all the time. When I look out the window, I see one house about 1.5 km away, on a hilltop. If I crane my neck to the south, I see another about 1 km away, on the other side of the highway (which is about 150’ from our house) – long driveway to blow the snow off of in winter.

Another advantage: we have room for everything. This summer I attached a new greenhouse to our main building, roughly 24’ x 14’, all glass and timber. When I decided to install a solar system, I just went ahead and did it. Did not need to ask anybody, put it on the corner of the house with a clear view to the south. We have lots of outbuildings: garages, workshops (for my woodcarving), storage, woodsheds.

The nearest little town (of 20,000 people) is half an hour away, with all the amenities we need: shopping, theatre, concerts, art galleries, library, restaurants, hospital, etc. We usually go there once a week, to do our shopping and interact with humanity.

I don’t think I could easily get used to living in a big city again, I would feel terribly claustrophobic without the clear, unobstructive view around me.

Now, it is your turn: tell us where you live, what your preferences are and why?
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Zatamon's post
13-11-2011, 08:23 AM
RE: City or Country? – Which you prefer and why?
Option #3
I live in suburbia; I’m 30 minutes from work in the city and can be in sprawling countryside in about ten minutes.
The joy of living in New Zealand!
It’s a financial decision as much as a practical one though, to live out further is huge money, and with the Range Rover set floating about discussing cheese, not that appealing anymore.
I thought about city living but I’d hate the closeness of an apartment.
And I’m fat enough without café food!

When my wife and I where looking my big concern was a good garage I could convert into a proper workshop.
The rest was up to Jax, I’m happy if she is.
Now we have a nice 3br house with a big back lawn, soon to be inhabited by an equally big dog if Jax gets her way (and she will)
I have an awesome workshop under the house and she has her own hobby room.
My daughter has the girliest room you could imagine and a place for her computer etc in the dining room we’ll never use.

Slowly renovating as time and money allow.

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything. Friedrich Nietzsche
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Karl's post
13-11-2011, 11:22 AM (This post was last modified: 13-11-2011 11:29 AM by houseofcantor.)
(13-11-2011 06:51 AM)Zatamon Wrote:  I feel guilty about slightly derailing Peterkin’s thread about “Sustainable Cities” by getting into an ‘exchange’ with Cantor about city versus country.

Don't sweat that stuff. Good threads have "smart locomotive," gets itself back on track. Threads that are not-so-good become train wrecks. You brought Peterkin's attention to the arcoplex, which I just outlined - entirely topical.

Instead of feeling guilty, you should be editing my crap out of your non-western thread, you Big Dog. Big Grin

City. Cause I'm poor and I like it and the country is boring. Wink

I never had a driver's license; I don't like being in a car because it seems nobody knows how to drive. It's not death I fear, but being senselessly mangled into twisted steel because some asshole is on the cellphone. Tongue

Where I live in Phoenix, Albertson's and a bunch of stuff is eight minutes stroll east, K-mart and a bunch of other stuff is eight minutes stroll west. That's how I like it. Big Grin
(13-11-2011 06:51 AM)Zatamon Wrote:  I love doing construction. I taught myself (the hard way) and have immense pleasure planning my next project and then collecting the material and putting it all together. Most of our building material is second-hand, comes very cheap from places like ‘Restore’ – a wonderful organization, owned by the “Habitat for Humanity” people.

I used to be "unofficial assistant superintendent" doing TIs here in Phoenix - wanna build stuff cheap? Get yer truck. Big Grin

One can build houses outta what goes into construction dumpsters. It's a money thing - when yer doing a three-hundred k tenant improvement, there's no "budget" to recycle "scrap." I mean, scrap that you could build a house out of... another one of those "disgusting things" about money and society that lead to this isolated lifestyle.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
13-11-2011, 12:11 PM
I would like the third option or the fourth I guess if suburbs counts. Which is a town. A small town. Little bit of country with a little bit of city.

I am like cantor and don't drive and one of the reasons is the same... None of you drivers are altogether good at driving. I have yet to meet a driver that followed even half of the rules. Not only that but it's scary how many people fail to understand that they are behind the wheel of something that weighs tonnage. It can kill. And does frequently. Of course being a pedestrian doesn't prevent you jerks from hitting me so that's not the only reason I don't drive. But I would drive for the right distance in the right place.
I hate over populated sardine cans. I don't mind personally living in smaller spaces as I am a wiz when it comes to organization and storage, but I really hate apartment life. Neighbors suck and landlords are slumlords. Ps in floor insulation acts as a sound barrier so invest in it cheap landlords. But I also don't really get down with all the work that goes into having a huge amount of property. I think I wouldn't mind I much if I had no other job to do like if I was a farmer but that isn't likely to happen. So something in between would be ideal.
I think that's why I like the looks of PEI.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
[+] 2 users Like lucradis's post
13-11-2011, 02:30 PM
Wherever it is, it's gotta be within walking distance of my work. For me that just happens to be the suburbs in the house where my wife grew up. It's not the driving I hate so much as the traffic. The DC Metro area is one of the worst traffic areas in the US. I work with people who spend 2-3 hours a day just getting to and from work. No thankyou.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
13-11-2011, 02:39 PM

I guess, having been retired for a long time, I did not think of people with jobs. That handicap sort of cuts down on your options, I realize.

Let me rephrase the question:

If you had a business you could do from anywhere, or you were already retired, where would you prefer to live: city or country?
[+] 1 user Likes Zatamon's post
13-11-2011, 02:52 PM
Stop yelling, Zat! I heard you the first time! Big Grin

City. Wink

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
13-11-2011, 03:07 PM

(13-11-2011 02:52 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Stop yelling, Zat! I heard you the first time! Big Grin

I am sorry, your Prophetness!

If you had a business you could do from anywhere, or you were already retired, where would you prefer to live: city or country?

Was this better? Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like Zatamon's post
13-11-2011, 03:58 PM
(13-11-2011 02:39 PM)Zatamon Wrote:  I guess, having been retired for a long time, I did not think of people with jobs. That handicap sort of cuts down on your options, I realize.

Let me rephrase the question:

Well then, since my dream home is an abandoned missile silo and those are only available in rural areas, guess I'm gonna have to go with country. Big Grin

I'd probably be able to telecommute from there now if I could just convince my employers.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
13-11-2011, 07:07 PM

(13-11-2011 03:58 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Well then, since my dream home is an abandoned missile silo

Curious ... please explain ... why?